R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner, May 13, 1967 – December 13, 2001

Chuck was not a genius. Beethoven was a genius; Albert Einstein was a genius; Kurt Gödel was a genius. Chuck Schuldiner had some talent, no doubt about that. But he was not a fucking genius.

If you want to argue about him being a genius at least come up with something better than this crap.

Its just typical metal nerd elitism. Gotta pick the most underground genre to praise and all else is gay.

If you want to argue about him being a genius at least come up with something better than this crap.

What the fuck are you on about? It's obvious to anybody that has even a modicum of perspective that Chuck Schuldiner was not a genius. How exactly is it not good enough to point out people who actually were geniuses for the purposes of highlighting the contrast? Don't try to argue with me, kid. I'm a thousand times smarter than you.

Quorthon lived off of his music.

Did he? I've never been clear on what the situation was, but I find that hard to believe given that he never played live and recorded all the albums in a garage. I guess he probably got a pretty good deal from Black Mark, though, so I suppose it's possible. It's always been my understanding that bands make their money from touring, though.

Well, metal sold a hell of a lot better in the 80s, and also, yeah, with your father as your record executive, it's probably a bit easier, but still, the point remains that Bathory is certainly not particularly obscure. I would imagine that they're about as well known as Death.

He had pretty irrefutable logic, which is that the difference in their ages was something like 16 years. If you can offer some reasonable proof that Boss was his father I'd be interested, but otherwise it just seems to be a weird and obnoxious rumor.

Death were never a typical Death metal band and don't share some of the same qualities as other bands in this genre. However they are the fucking most influential Death metal band. Chuck is a genius and deserves as much praise as he receives.

The genius thing has already been discussed, but can you please explain how Death was so much more influential on the death metal genre than Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Immolation, Carcass, etc. etc.? I just don't see it, death metal sounds nowadays sound far more influenced by those other bands.

The genius thing has already been discussed, but can you please explain how Death was so much more influential on the death metal genre than Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Immolation, Carcass, etc. etc.? I just don't see it, death metal sounds nowadays sound far more influenced by those other bands.

Personally I prefer Death more, Chuck's songwriting was great, to me it was better than all the bands you mentioned by miles.

Its just typical metal nerd elitism. Gotta pick the most underground genre to praise and all else is gay.
umad.jpg

How can those in a genre be more influential one of the few who started the genre? They may be more representative of what the genre has become, and they may be more emulated, but if they exist as they are due in part to Death, then who is ultimately more influential?

He had pretty irrefutable logic, which is that the difference in their ages was something like 16 years. If you can offer some reasonable proof that Boss was his father I'd be interested, but otherwise it just seems to be a weird and obnoxious rumor.

Quorthon lied about his father's age. His father was 22 at his birth. Are you unfamiliar with the astounding web of lies that he had concocted throughout his life during interviews? He was a notorious liar, I suppose merely for his own entertainment. Börje Forsberg is both his father and the owner of Black Mark. His siblings also work for the record label.

Are you unfamiliar with the astounding web of lies that he had concocted throughout his life during interviews?

I am, actually. I don't suppose any of your info comes from ANUS? Not to say that he never spouted any bullshit or whatever, but I don't see any reason for him to lie about everything, so I'd kind of need to see some sort of evidence or whatever.

No...nothing whatsoever to do with ANUS. From his claim to have never listened to Venom to his gesture that the one time he gave out his real name in an interview he later claimed to be fake and chose the name after his favorite hockey player, it's pretty well known that Quorthon was regularly less than forthright, whether it was merely for personal amusement, a desire to shroud the band in secrecy or controversy, or some other reason or combination of reasons.