Ragnarok Logo?

Rivfadír

Fuzzy Old One
Oct 7, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was looking in the booklet of a compilation I own the other day, and I noticed the picture of Ragnarok's album, and more significantly their logo. For those of you who havent seen it, here it is:
ragnarok_logo.jpg

Now, telle me if I'm crazy, but this would seem to be a blatant rip of the Borknagar logo. Is this some arrangement they've got or what?

Wow! That really is a blatant rip off of the Borknagar logo. And this is not their original logo either, they didn't start using this logo until 1997, strange noone has noticed it before.
Still, the Borknagar logo looks a helluva lot better!

Wow! That really is a blatant rip off of the Borknagar logo. And this is not their original logo either, they didn't start using this logo until 1997, strange noone has noticed it before.
Still, the Borknagar logo looks a helluva lot better!

That's right.

is a shameful rip off... 0% creativity or 100% Borknagar fans :rofl:DDDDDDD

yup. it is a play of loch nagar.
i saw a hoodie today, it had the emperor logo but id looked really alike to both of thse

"Borknagar is a progressive metal band from Bergen, Norway founded in 1995 by Øystein Garnes Brun. The band's style combines folk metal and black metal with progressive and melodic elements. Borknagar's lyrics often deal with philosophy, paganism, nature, and the cosmos. The name Borknagar is an anagram of "Ragnarok", with a B thrown in to make it pronounceable (however, Øystein Brun stated once that the name was inspired by a Scottish myth about a man who climbed Loch Nagar, a mountain in Scotland)." - wikipedia

"Borknagar is a progressive metal band from Bergen, Norway founded in 1995 by Øystein Garnes Brun. The band's style combines folk metal and black metal with progressive and melodic elements. Borknagar's lyrics often deal with philosophy, paganism, nature, and the cosmos. The name Borknagar is an anagram of "Ragnarok", with a B thrown in to make it pronounceable (however, Øystein Brun stated once that the name was inspired by a Scottish myth about a man who climbed Loch Nagar, a mountain in Scotland)." - wikipedia

But Loch means lake, doesn't it? It makes no sense to be calling a mountain a lake.

And it's nice to see that I am not the only one to see this. They've got another version of it, that looks even more like Borknagar's but I couldn't find it online.

Rivfadír;5644979 said:
But Loch means lake, doesn't it? It makes no sense to be calling a mountain a lake.
Nagar could mean moutain or something similar to that, in which case it could translate to "Mountain by the Lake". Just another possibility.

That's true, but if you actually overlaid the Ragnarok logo over the Borknalogo, there would be a considerable similarity... rather than just a similar concept & design.

Of definatly, there's no way I would even try to back that logo up. I thought someone else was talking about other bands using a backwards ending letter.

"The name Borknagar is an anagram of "Ragnarok", with a B thrown in to make it pronounceable (however, Øystein Brun stated once that the name was inspired by a Scottish myth about a man who climbed Loch Nagar, a mountain in Scotland)." - wikipedia

Which raises the question -- why would Øystein mislead the members of Ultimate Metal by telling them a story about a mountain which was not true? I remember reading the comment of his a couple of years ago where he mentioned the meaning of Borknagar, in contrast to the Ragnarok theory, and there was nothing in his comment that seemed to me to be deceptive.

I would say Borknagar's music, particularly the olden domain, reflects a mountain by a lake (in winter) more so than a battle at the end of the world, but that is entirely subjective. There very well could be a wee prankster in Øystein for all I know.