"Rain" guitar tabs

I hang out in the Opeth forums quite a bit as well, and suffice it to say that the level of respect shown there doesn't come close to what we have here.

That's what happens when you reach a level of popularity, where fans become passionate and feel they need to defend their favorite band at any cost.

If that ever happened here, we would close the forum. We all enjoy communicating with fans on the boards, but if it became disrespectful to us, or our fans, we wouldn't stand for it. It's one of the reasons we "hired" a moderator to take care of any issues.

In what ways is the Opeth forum disrespectful? I hardly ever go over there so I don't what it's like.

With any popular forum, you're going to find some of the contributers to be abrasive, and annoyed easily showing little tolerance for any questions they feel to be "stupid" and verbally attack those users because of it. It's an elitist attitude that makes the overall experience unpleasant for others, including the band. Fanboys can ruin a mood real fast.

This conversation is for another thread though. This thread is about the tabs. :)

DF_Tab_366.jpg

Sorry for veering this thread off-topic. I will just clarify...there are several disrespectful people on the Opeth forum, which gets old and annoying very quickly, but there are many decent folk as well. I'm just glad to not have that here, it makes it so much more pleasant :)

So, enough of that BS...on with the topic at hand...

"Someday Vito and I will do a secret side-project that's just over-the-top metal riffing and all that shit, just to prove to people that we know how to do it hahaha ND-meets-Nevermore-meets-Spiral Architect coming your way, folks LOL"

Actually, that sounds pretty cool, Larry! I'd buy it!!! :cool:

Thanks for the nice words! :)

Well, I don't say this to sound big-headed or anything, but the truth is, alot of times when people think that our music is very simple, there's alot of little inflections and things that are trickier than they realise. I'm not saying you're implying this. But in the past when we've had to try out new members, we've had people tell us, "Oh yeah, I learned the stuff, I've got it down". And then when they showed up to play, they found out quickly that there were alot of little things that they'd missed, or had the wrong feel for, that really makes a difference. One of the main reasons why Vito impressed us at his audition was because he actually was able to pick up on these things quickly and on his own, when quite a few other people didn't. I dunno, I equate it to something like....how many people have you heard pick up a guitar and play a classic Ac/Dc or Pink Floyd song? Now, how many of those people really played it right? Haha, y'know what I mean? The feel and timing and little intricacies can make all the difference.

While I won't say I'm not a "fan" of guitar solos, one thing I always felt was that solos in Novembers Doom songs needed to have some purpose. To have some wanky shred solo in an ND song would, by and large, seem gratuitous and out of place. Which isn't to say that a more technical, fast metal guitar solo might not work it's way into an ND song someday, but only if it really fit the song and had a purpose for being there. When you hear the solo come up in The Novella Reservoir, or Drown the Inland Mere or Dark World Burden (either the mddle solo, which is mine, or the end solo courtesy of Mr. Swano), I like to think that those solos are there because they further the song and have some true melodic purpose. I hope that's not sounding conceited or something. I guess the point I'm getting at is...when I hear a song like, say, "Comfortably Numb" or something along those lines, I feel that the guitar solo is almost equally important to that song as the vocal lines or the beat or whatever, and without the solo, the song wouldn't be the same. I certainly don't think anything I've done is 1/1000th as great as Gilmour's work, but it's the same general idea and purpose I shoot for with guitar solos.

Someday Vito and I will do a secret side-project that's just over-the-top metal riffing and all that shit, just to prove to people that we know how to do it hahaha ND-meets-Nevermore-meets-Spiral Architect coming your way, folks LOL

Anyway, I'm glad you guys enjoy talking with us. If you're cool to us then we're cool to you, that's about it really. If people act like jerkoffs then we can be not so nice, a few people who've popped onto this forum over the years have discovered that :)

Im sorry again i wasn't at all downplaying your actual playing, so if it came off that way I apologise. As I said, I KNOW you can play your instrument very proficiently, it was more of a compliment, by simple i mean, you don't do TOO much for what you're trying to achieve, which is that certain oppressive atmosphere. I feel I'm saying, your songwriting skills are very advanced, which is an incredibly important concept to master. I know exactly what you're saying about the "little subtle things," you're exactly right, my boyfriend plays "wish you were here" all the time, and while he's good, it's not quite right, so your example is very fitting. Now I'm no professional musician and I won't proclaim to even know what i'm talking about :), but I was actually trying to give you a compliment haha. I guess to incorporate what you're saying into what i'm saying, your music isn't so hopelessly hard to learn, but it is hard to master. :p As long as your music is enjoyable, does it really matter how technical you are? It's sort of an inspiration, because I know i'll never be the next john petrucci.

As for the solos, yea saying I despise the solo in general is probably going too far, but it's as you said, it really has to fit the music. Thinking about it, while I don't like the sound that a band like nevermore's solos account for, I do feel you're right when saying that they are a part of the piece, that amelodic sound really does goes with the music they play. Perhaps it's all in how you look at it, either way, I've liked all the solos you guys have used, so there's a plus for ya :).

And about that side project haha, sounds extremely intriguing!! Can I still ask for tabs when that happens? :saint:

Well I could post videos of autumn reflection, collapse of the fallen throe, and dead leaf echo since i'm most confident I have those down(except maybe fallen throe, my verse riff sounds a wee bit off), I mean I don't want to embarass myself haha. I'd do novella reservoir, but I'm going to have to figure out the solo. And if you really want just so you can have a good laugh, I can put up twilight innocence, which I can sing and play, though it's not the same without Paul's ruggedly handsome voice 0_o.

If any of you have the time, could anyone tab out the intro to Twilight Innocence for me? It's a great song that I want to learn to play on my acoustic. Thanks.

Im sorry again i wasn't at all downplaying your actual playing, so if it came off that way I apologise. As I said, I KNOW you can play your instrument very proficiently, it was more of a compliment, by simple i mean, you don't do TOO much for what you're trying to achieve, which is that certain oppressive atmosphere. I feel I'm saying, your songwriting skills are very advanced, which is an incredibly important concept to master. I know exactly what you're saying about the "little subtle things," you're exactly right, my boyfriend plays "wish you were here" all the time, and while he's good, it's not quite right, so your example is very fitting. Now I'm no professional musician and I won't proclaim to even know what i'm talking about :), but I was actually trying to give you a compliment haha. I guess to incorporate what you're saying into what i'm saying, your music isn't so hopelessly hard to learn, but it is hard to master. :p As long as your music is enjoyable, does it really matter how technical you are? It's sort of an inspiration, because I know i'll never be the next john petrucci.

As for the solos, yea saying I despise the solo in general is probably going too far, but it's as you said, it really has to fit the music. Thinking about it, while I don't like the sound that a band like nevermore's solos account for, I do feel you're right when saying that they are a part of the piece, that amelodic sound really does goes with the music they play. Perhaps it's all in how you look at it, either way, I've liked all the solos you guys have used, so there's a plus for ya :).

And about that side project haha, sounds extremely intriguing!! Can I still ask for tabs when that happens? :saint:

Oh no no, I didn't take your comments in your previous post as negative in any way! I apologise if it came across that way towards you. I was making a general statement about how some people view our music as "simple" and how I think it's actually a mistaken perception, but I realised that you weren't calling us simple in a negative way. I thought I put that across but I guess I didn't, so I'm sorry and it's all good :)

And yes, you pretty much supported my point as well, in that music being simple doesn't necessarily mean it's not good, and vice versa. I'm certainly not knocking people with amazing technical shredder chops, but the thing is, you can sit down and practice that shit for years and eventually get it down, but you can play for forty years and still never be able to write a truly memorable, meaningful song.

Well I could post videos of autumn reflection, collapse of the fallen throe, and dead leaf echo since i'm most confident I have those down(except maybe fallen throe, my verse riff sounds a wee bit off), I mean I don't want to embarass myself haha. I'd do novella reservoir, but I'm going to have to figure out the solo. And if you really want just so you can have a good laugh, I can put up twilight innocence, which I can sing and play, though it's not the same without Paul's ruggedly handsome voice 0_o.

Well I obviously can't speak for other people but I can tell you that myself and the other guys in the band would never laugh or make fun of you for your videos. If you feel up to posting something then by all means, do it! If you don't feel comfortable with it then that's ok too. Either way it's just cool to know that you're learning these songs.

"Collapse Of The Fallen Throe" is a bit tricky in spots because of the way we move around the notes within the chords during the verses, so I can understand that it might be a bit weird to figure out. But I'd love to hear it sometime.

If any of you have the time, could anyone tab out the intro to Twilight Innocence for me? It's a great song that I want to learn to play on my acoustic. Thanks.

Yknow, I'm trying to recall for certain, but I thought we had posted in another thread some time back, the notation for the intro to "Twilight Innocence", here on the forum. My memory is bad sometimes so perhaps I'm mistaken but do a search throughout old threads and see if you can find it. If it's not there then I can probably do it again for you.

Yknow, I'm trying to recall for certain, but I thought we had posted in another thread some time back, the notation for the intro to "Twilight Innocence", here on the forum. My memory is bad sometimes so perhaps I'm mistaken but do a search throughout old threads and see if you can find it. If it's not there then I can probably do it again for you.
I found the "Twilight Innocence guitar tab" thread but the intro isn't in there, unless it's in some other thread. If you or Amy-selic could put up the intro I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I found the "Twilight Innocence guitar tab" thread but the intro isn't in there, unless it's in some other thread. If you or Amy-selic could put up the intro I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Sure I'll save Larry some time and tab it for ya. Larry can point out anything I'm doing wrong.

Alright it's in standard tuning, and I THINK the low E is dropped to D.
It's played around the A minor and the F major chords.

INTRO:

E ----------------------------------------------0--------------------
B -------1--0-------------3--------------1-0-3---1-0----------------
G -----2------2---------2---2----------2-------------2-----------------
D ---2----------2-----2-------2------2-----------------2---------------
A -0----------------0-----------0--0-----------------------------------
E ------------------------------------------------------------------

Now when it changes to the F major:

E ----------------------------------------------0--------------------
B -------1-0-------------3-1-------------1-0-3------------------
G -----2-----2---------2-----2---------3---------5-4------------
D ---3---------3-----3---------3-----2---------------5---------
A -0---------------0---------------0-------------------0----------------

Now there are actually two ways to play that final line, and I believe Larry uses both, the first time like the way I tabbed it(I can hear him slide up the fretboard) Now here's the second time around when it changes to the F Major:

E -------------0-------------------------0-3-3-3-------------------------
B -------1-0-3---1-0------------------3-----------------------------------
G -----2-------------2------4---5---4------------------------------------
D ---3-----------------3--5---5---5--------------------------------------
A -0-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now I did this pretty much from memory, I don't have a guitar on me at the moment, but that should get you on the right track. Just figure out the timing and picking patterns. AAAAAAAND I just noticed larry already did the intro in a separate topic haha, well oops, now you have two of them i guess!

Oh no no, I didn't take your comments in your previous post as negative in any way! I apologise if it came across that way towards you. I was making a general statement about how some people view our music as "simple" and how I think it's actually a mistaken perception, but I realised that you weren't calling us simple in a negative way. I thought I put that across but I guess I didn't, so I'm sorry and it's all good :)

And yes, you pretty much supported my point as well, in that music being simple doesn't necessarily mean it's not good, and vice versa. I'm certainly not knocking people with amazing technical shredder chops, but the thing is, you can sit down and practice that shit for years and eventually get it down, but you can play for forty years and still never be able to write a truly memorable, meaningful song.

No problems, just clearing things up making sure I didn't offend a member of one of my favorite bands haha. And yea exactly, nothing wrong with having the ability to shred, but I find using that ability tastefully to be one of the more advanced concepts.

Well I obviously can't speak for other people but I can tell you that myself and the other guys in the band would never laugh or make fun of you for your videos. If you feel up to posting something then by all means, do it! If you don't feel comfortable with it then that's ok too. Either way it's just cool to know that you're learning these songs.

"Collapse Of The Fallen Throe" is a bit tricky in spots because of the way we move around the notes within the chords during the verses, so I can understand that it might be a bit weird to figure out. But I'd love to hear it sometime.

Well that's good to know, though I don't take myself so seriously as I would mind anyway, as long as it's not hostile laughter haha. :loco: And yea, I do have a mission to learn your discography, or at least pale haunt and beyond, because though i do write my own music, sometimes it's fun to play an already established song. I Dooooooo have a question I wanted to ask about rain though, one final last question so i can really get it down. Can you tell me if I'm playing the "lead"(sustained chords whatever haha) in the intro right? I mean you gave me the chords and that helped immensely since I was playing it as single notes, but there's a part near the end of it where it sounds like you're hitting single notes within those chords, and could you tell me if i'm on the right track?

NEAR THE END OF THE INTRO: When you can hear that symbal crash and you switch chords

E -1----------------------1--------3-----------------------------------
B -1---5-6--6--5--5-6p5--1---5-6--5-----------------------------------
G -3--------7--7----------3--------5----------------------------------
D -3--------7--0----------3--------5-----------------------------
A -------------------------------------------------------------------
E -------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that how you're doing it?