"Rain" guitar tabs

Well that's good to know, though I don't take myself so seriously as I would mind anyway, as long as it's not hostile laughter haha. :loco: And yea, I do have a mission to learn your discography, or at least pale haunt and beyond, because though i do write my own music, sometimes it's fun to play an already established song. I Dooooooo have a question I wanted to ask about rain though, one final last question so i can really get it down. Can you tell me if I'm playing the "lead"(sustained chords whatever haha) in the intro right? I mean you gave me the chords and that helped immensely since I was playing it as single notes, but there's a part near the end of it where it sounds like you're hitting single notes within those chords, and could you tell me if i'm on the right track?

NEAR THE END OF THE INTRO: When you can hear that symbal crash and you switch chords

E -1----------------------1--------3-----------------------------------
B -1---5-6--6--5--5-6p5--1---5-6--5-----------------------------------
G -3--------7--7----------3--------5----------------------------------
D -3--------7--0----------3--------5-----------------------------
A -------------------------------------------------------------------
E -------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that how you're doing it?

Ahhh yes, yknow when I tabbed it out before, I forgot about that little hammer on-off mixed in there. If I am understanding which part you're talking about, the way I play it goes like this....

e------1----1---1---0--0---1--1---------------------------------------
b------3----3---3---3--3---3--3---------------------------------------
g------3----3---3---3--3---3--3---------------------------------------
d------3----3---3---3--3---3--3---------------------------------------
a----------------------------------------------------------------------
e----------------------------------------------------------------------

e-----0--0--0----0-0---0--0---------------------------------------------
b-----6--6--6----5-5---6--6---------------------------------------------
g-----7--7--7----7-7---7--7---------------------------------------------
d-----7--7--7----7-7---7--7---------------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------------------------------------------
e-----------------------------------------------------------------------

e-----3---3---3---3-----3---3---3---3-----3---------------------------
b-----5---5---5---5-----5---5---5---5-----5---------------------------
g-----5---5---5---5-----5---5---5---5-----5---------------------------
d-----5---5---5---5-----5---5---5---5-----5---------------------------

"Collapse Of The Fallen Throe" is a bit tricky in spots because of the way we move around the notes within the chords during the verses, so I can understand that it might be a bit weird to figure out. But I'd love to hear it sometime.

I was listening to Collapse just this morning, and I just wanted to say that the guitar part during the latter verses ("My ignorance to be judged
A sworn voice to tell me the lies") is almost orgasmic! And the way Paul's voice soars over the melody...mmmm :headbang:. This section alone made me fall in love with this song, and it stands out for me as one of ND's most memorable passages.

Ahhh yes, yknow when I tabbed it out before, I forgot about that little hammer on-off mixed in there. If I am understanding which part you're talking about, the way I play it goes like this....

e-----0--0--0----0-0---0--0---------------------------------------------
b-----6--6--6----5-5---6--6---------------------------------------------
g-----7--7--7----7-7---7--7---------------------------------------------
d-----7--7--7----7-7---7--7---------------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------------------------------------------
e-----------------------------------------------------------------------

e-----3---3---3---3-----3---3---3---3-----3---------------------------
b-----5---5---5---5-----5---5---5---5-----5---------------------------
g-----5---5---5---5-----5---5---5---5-----5---------------------------
d-----5---5---5---5-----5---5---5---5-----5---------------------------

Really? I honestly cannot hear the strumming of these chords, it sounds like it's one time sustained, but it could just be the production making it a tad hard to hear something like that. I'm not gonna doubt the guy who plays it haha. I'll just have to listen very closely to find the timing I s'pose. Also did you mean to change one of your chords? When you first listed the chords you listed 3311, instead of 3331. The 3331 is a major and I'm pretty sure that's what you're using in the song, so was that first chord listing just a mistake or am I not hearing a certain part? And sorry about all these questions about one tiny part, but I'm a details nut, and I love that part!

TO PAUL: Hah, ok I'll find the means of getting up a video(That's as well done as I can do it) and I'll make a topic letting you know.

Triton:Thought that counts? :lol: It's always better to get it from larry directly anyway, since obviously my interpretations of his songs are a little different.

Beast from the east: It's almost an uplifting chord progression, which is why i've always loved that song, the ending helps too :)

Ah yeah I see, yep I fucked up when I put down 3311 the first time. It's supposed to be 3331, it is indeed a major there. And I am strumming those jangly chords using mostly downstrokes in time with the beat that Joe is playing on the toms. A weird comparison perhaps but refer to the way the guitar is strummed in the beginning of "Helter Skelter" by the Beatles (or Motley Crue haha). It's kind of similar to that. Actually the whole part is sorta influenced by Voivod, really. But anyhow...hope this helps.

Ah yeah I see, yep I fucked up when I put down 3311 the first time. It's supposed to be 3331, it is indeed a major there. And I am strumming those jangly chords using mostly downstrokes in time with the beat that Joe is playing on the toms. A weird comparison perhaps but refer to the way the guitar is strummed in the beginning of "Helter Skelter" by the Beatles (or Motley Crue haha). It's kind of similar to that. Actually the whole part is sorta influenced by Voivod, really. But anyhow...hope this helps.

It does! Much thanks, I see now, the drums are what is making your actual strumming hard to hear. I think i've got it down now :). The voivod influence is very surprising, I would have never guessed, seriously. Alright, well i'm sure i'm bugging you so i'll stop using you as my personal tutor haha......

If anyone here would like to know how to play anything, I can show you what i've got in terms of tabs if you'd like.

It does! Much thanks, I see now, the drums are what is making your actual strumming hard to hear. I think i've got it down now :). The voivod influence is very surprising, I would have never guessed, seriously. Alright, well i'm sure i'm bugging you so i'll stop using you as my personal tutor haha......

If anyone here would like to know how to play anything, I can show you what i've got in terms of tabs if you'd like.

Funny because honestly Voivod is one of my biggest influences, alot of it does creep into our music and to me of course it's very noticeable. But it doesn't seem to stand out to most other people. They just think it sounds like Opeth, LOL, good grief!

And it's no bother doing the tabs for you guys, I don't mind. I happened to have the time to do it lately and I've been asked for it before so I figured I'd oblige :)

Funny because honestly Voivod is one of my biggest influences, alot of it does creep into our music and to me of course it's very noticeable. But it doesn't seem to stand out to most other people. They just think it sounds like Opeth, LOL, good grief!

And it's no bother doing the tabs for you guys, I don't mind. I happened to have the time to do it lately and I've been asked for it before so I figured I'd oblige :)

That's interesting, and you know where the opeth comparisons come from. It's a very surface oriented and shallow observation that comes from the fact that you use the acoustic mixed with heavy passages that they do coupled with death metal. While you guys really sound nothing alike, oddly enough I got into your band on account of someone recommending me something "similar" to opeth whom i am a fan of. Honestly I don't hear a lick of opeth in your music, I don't know if you take inspiration from them or not(most likely not) but yea I don't hear it.

PATE: Anything in specific for starters that you may want?

Just to give you an idea and get you started on it, here's the main riff from "In Memories Past"....This is at the beginning of the song after the bass solo intro and the snare drum fill, when the guitars first kick in...

e-------------------------------------------------------
b-------------------------------------------------------
g-------------------------------------------------------
d-------------------------------------------------------
a--------5--------5-------3---------------------------3-
e----0---------7------7-----------5~6~5-----3---5---3-

d-----------------------------------------------------3-
a--------5--------5-------3-----------------------------
e----0---------7------7-----------5~6~5-----3---5-----

a--------5--------5-------3---------------------------3-
e----0---------7------7-----------5~6~5-----3---5---3-

a----0---3--5--5-----0---3--5-5----5-3--0-3------------
e----0---3--5--5-----0---3--5-5----5-3--0-3-----------

e--------------------------------------------------
b--------------------------------------------------
g--------------------------------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------
a----0---3--5--5-----0---3--5-5----6--5---3------
e----0---3--5--5-----0---3--5-5----6--5---3------

Hopefully that helps!

Ok, I'm loving this now. I'm going to try to work the rest of this out!! I thought I was stupid and just couldn't play your stuff. It never dawned on me that I was tuned wrong...:lol:

I did this back in 2005 and posted it here back then but this looks like a good place for it again since the song was actually brought up. I had a new mic, compressor and mic pre to screw with but I didn't have any music written so I covered "In Memories Past". It's a fun song to play even if I don't play it correct. The drums were pretty fun to program too. It seems to be a little bass light so give er a boost around 62-125hz, especially if listening on headphones.

http://www.nathanholly.com/In%20Memories%20Past.mp3

Someday Vito and I will do a secret side-project that's just over-the-top metal riffing and all that shit, just to prove to people that we know how to do it hahaha ND-meets-Nevermore-meets-Spiral Architect coming your way, folks LOL

Hey! If that's true I better get a damn audition for the vocals!!! :headbang: unless Paul is going to do them, then I concede :lol: :kickass:

Hey Larry I'm gonna try to borrow a friends 7 string this week and make an Autumn Reflection cover once I stop being lazy and learn how to do the drum programming.

I was wondering if you get a chance could you please help tab the chorus and the part where Paul talks. If you have nothing better to do. >_> I'm horrible at trying to learn by ear.