Rainbow, Sabbath, Dio.... can this man do no wrong?!!

Thorngren

Project Genocide
Apr 2, 2005
The Napa Valley
www.livejournal.com
I’m going through all my records n it dawned on me that if you combine all of RJD's stuff into one pile, the man has thee greatest collection of music you can imagine. I mean, the classic cuts on his Rainbow albums alone are better than most any band can dream of achieving. Then put into account his stellar Sabbath albums and his solo stuff has spawned not only one of metals most essential albums, but some of ‘classic metals’ finest moments.

Take Gates of Babylon as an example… is this when power metal was invented? Perhaps not the first power metal song, but this is where it started I’m damn sure. Stargazer is a grand epic rock tune that you just can’t help but feel your head moving to. I could go on forever about Rainbow… rockers like Kill the King, Lady of the Lake, Run With the Wolf, or mellow enchanting tunes like The Temple of the King and Rainbow Eyes. The diversity in the music, the emotion, the magic… you feel the music; the record has a soul of its own.

And Black Sabbath with Dio… have you worn out any disc more than Heaven and Hell? Because I know I haven’t. If I was trapped on an island with 1 album to listen to my whole life, I believe this would be the one. Neon Knights just kicks ya in the balls opening the album up, n Children of the Sea brings us in easy n gets us ready for Lady Evil, which is just the quintessential rock song in my opinion… but nothing can top the greatness of the epic Heaven and Hell, probably the greatest rock or metal song ever. And that’s just one album… The Mob Rules and Dehumanizer are filled to the brim with classics too. The Sign of the Southern Cross, Voodoo, The Mob Rules, Computer God, Master of Insanity and TV Crimes… some of the best songs you’ll never hear on the radio.

Then you have solo Dio… you’re not a true metalhead until you know the album Holy Diver by heart, and that’s just a fact. Every song is a classic, and I don’t even need to say what’s on it because everyone knows every fucking knows. The Last in Line has some of the most awesome cuts on it that Ronnie’s recorded (Egypt, The Last in Line, We Rock) and even his later stuff down the road had balls to it (even the panned Magica) and listening to his latest album Master of the Moon I’d never dream he’s 65, let alone on his 11th studio album for his solo career (discounting his Rainbow/Sabbath days).

So this is why I can say with all confidence that not only does Dio have the greatest back catalog and career in metal, but the man himself is probably the most important man in the industry… well, at least to me. Many would disagree… but I think if they actually sat down n listened to everything he’s put out and actually noted the impact he’s had on music throughout his career.

JonnyD said:
I'm not a True Metal Head :erk:

Neither do I then :Spin:

I love Raibow, and I love Black Sabbath. The best Rainbow was with Dio, and the best Black Sabbath was with Dio, but alas I don't care much for Dio solo career. I use to like the first three albums but never got interested in have them.

Note: I'm not, NOT dismissing Dio quality as singer/composer, I'm just bound to his solo work.

I cant get enoght of Rainbow ,especially with Dio on vocals. Stargazer,Kill the King, long live rock n roll ,16th century greensleeves, some great 70s classic rock tunes ...very underappreciated IMO.I I wouldnt say im huge into Sabbath, but I prefer Dios sabbath over Ozzy. 'Heaven and Hell' and 'live Evil' are the only Sabbath records i listien 2 on a regular basis

AND he cares about the kids... Him and his wife run a non-profit organization here in Hollywood called "Children of the Night" it helps young kids, teens, runaways stay off of the street.

Has anyone got any "Elf" material?

kittybeast said:
AND he cares about the kids... Him and his wife run a non-profit organization here in Hollywood called "Children of the Night" it helps young kids, teens, runaways stay off of the street.

Has anyone got any "Elf" material?
Elf is not metal but jazzy rock'n roll with blues influences, sometimes it gets a bit heavier too, I love their Trying to Burn the Sun and Carolina County Ball records :) Really cool 70's music to be found in these albums and Ronnie sings with so much passion, as he's ever done.

Anyway I'm a Dio fanboy, I just have the utmost respect for the man, for his career, his classy behaviour, his voice, his lyrics and everything else. Not that I like all his solo records (most of them though), but Ronnie is such a wonderful example of aging well, doing things its own way, sticking to its guns and still rocking like very few can.
Hell, he's 63 and still the Voice of Metal :headbang:

Fangface said:
Anyway I'm a Dio fanboy, I just have the utmost respect for the man, for his career, his classy behaviour, his voice, his lyrics and everything else. Not that I like all his solo records (most of them though), but Ronnie is such a wonderful example of aging well, doing things its own way, sticking to its guns and still rocking like very few can.

Me too. I do my best to catch him when he rolls through town. Not every tour, but most. He's just a class act and still a great showman with a great voice.

Fangface said:
Elf is not metal but jazzy rock'n roll with blues influences, sometimes it gets a bit heavier too, I love their Trying to Burn the Sun and Carolina County Ball records :) Really cool 70's music to be found in these albums and Ronnie sings with so much passion, as he's ever done.

Hell, he's 63 and still the Voice of Metal :headbang:

Thanks Fang! I have not heard anything from Elf. *adds to all ready long list of wants

This thread comes to life here from time to time, but it should (no complaint here). I think that the Dio Rainbow era, Black Sabbath era, through Holy Diver....is one of the greatest runs of metal records ever. I saw him with Maiden and Motorhead on that tour a couple of years ago and he was great, I thought. He did Stargazer, Mob Rules, etc. etc. It seems to me he's doing the whole Holy Diver record (or just did) on some European tour. I'd be up for that.

Dio's BS era ain't that good imho, 2 good albums and a mediocre double live... nothing approaching Ozzy's classic era

best form dio ever was is with Rainbow and particulary on the live album "On Stage", a timeless classic !!! :headbang:

his solo career alternates from very good (Holy Diver, Last in Line) to average (Lock of the Wolves etc...) which makes sense in such a long career ! :Smug:

also, I particulary enjoy Dio's performance on Roger Glover's 1973's Butterfly Ball (Love is All kicked ass and was the first time I ever heard RJ's golden voice :D )

Indeed! Dio is the true Godfather of metal, IMO.

His run beginning in 1975 with the Rainbow debut and rounding out in 1984 with Last In Line is phenomenal! In my view, no one band or artists has ever had a decade this strong! Not Maiden, not Priest....no one.

His 1985+ records has been less than classics (usually), but each always contains, at least, 3-4 timeless tracks (All the Fools Sailed Away may be one of the most powerful metal anthems ever penned).

T.I.E. said:
Dio's BS era ain't that good imho, 2 good albums and a mediocre double live... nothing approaching Ozzy's classic era

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

your forgetting Dehumanizer, Dio's most badass album ever which happened to be with Sabbath. why does everyone forget this album?

T.I.E. said:
also, I particulary enjoy Dio's performance on Roger Glover's 1973's Butterfly Ball (Love is All kicked ass and was the first time I ever heard RJ's golden voice :D )
My fave is "Sitting in a Dream" on that one, especially the live version from the Deep Purple & London Symphony Orchestra recordings :worship:

Fangface said:
My fave is "Sitting in a Dream" on that one, especially the live version from the Deep Purple & London Symphony Orchestra recordings :worship:

Right on! :hotjump: That performance is astounding, I love both in the live album as in the DVD. What a class act, and showed the high quality of Dio on stage.

Great vocalist, I enjoy his Rainbow stuff more than anything else he has done, but of course I have experienced everything. I wish he would come to perform to my city though, I have to see him before he is too old to tour.

Thorngren said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

your forgetting Dehumanizer, Dio's most badass album ever which happened to be with Sabbath. why does everyone forget this album?

because it's CRAP :loco: