Raleigh 10/24

Sefeed

May 28, 2008
I went to the show at the Lincoln Theater in Raleigh, There Opeth played with Baroness and High On Fire. Baroness was the opening band and they impressed me quite a bit. High On Fire totally blew in my opinion. By the time the first two bands were done I was front and center, I only had one person in front of me. I could have touched the rail if I felt like it. I don't quite remember the order of the set list so I'll just list them in a random order.
Opening: Heir Apparent
The Grand Conjuration
Serenity Painted Death
Bleak
Hope Leaves
Deliverance
The Night and the Silent Water
The Lotus Eater
Closing: Demon of the Fall
Encore: The Drapery Falls

Again, not in any particular order. The opening, closing, and encore are correct.

I was slammed by many people moshing behind me and run over by crowd surfers a few times. In between one of the songs I asked Mikael about that hook that he does. He immediately started explaining. He said a friend in his first band Eruption told him it meant "the devil" and it's been going ever since. Everyone held up their hooks for him so I shouted "We're all hookers!" which initiated a chant; HOOK HOOK HOOK HOOK HOOK. Mikael also held his guitar out over the front row and I got a chance to touch it. So it was an awesome setlist and I got plenty of interaction with Mikael. Also, new solo in Hope Leaves. I soiled myself with Akesson played it, has anyone else heard it yet?

After show stuff:
Opethinraleigh004.jpg

Opethinraleigh007.jpg

Opethinraleigh010.jpg

I had my the pic of me with Mikael from my first show signed by everyone but Axe. I didn't get a picture with Mendez, people were hogging him D: Once I had everything I wanted signed I had a nice long talk with Per. Overall, awesome setlist and an awesome night.

Edit: Wow, I'm smiling like a little school girl.

Great pictures! I was going to stay after the show, but was just beat up so decided to leave.

My opinion was Opeth was great, Mikael was hilarious (as always) but this was one of the worst shows I have been to (the worse being at Gigantour... only 4 songs by Opeth, I needed more!). I have been to five or six concerts with Opeth, and all but one I got to the first row. This one I was in a position similar to Sefeed where I was in the second row, close to center (Don't remember seeing you SeFeed- I was one of the girls (not the blonde nor short one though)). I was completely squished the whole time and not just having a bunch of people in close quarters- but physically squeezed nonstop and kicked in the head by the many crowd surfers. I understand, I was in the front... but hell, cannot people give it a rest and actually be there to enjoy the music and listen to a great band? It seemed the people were there more about moshing than listening to Opeth.

At all the previous concerts I have been to with Opeth the crowd was a lot different. I could stand in the front row and enjoy the music rather than <i>constantly</i> be barraged with trying to keep my position and not be squeezed to death (not to say there was no moshing, but in the appropriate times and not non-stop). So I am sure some would say - well, then don't stand in the front row. Fuck you, I love hearing and seeing Opeth from up close- it is amazing. But I still am pissed that those around me took away from the experience and that mainly these seem to be newcomers to listening to Opeth (due to how the crowd changed over the years I have gone to see Opeth).

Anyway enough of my crying, Opeth was great.

^ I might have seen you there. I would probably remember you if I saw your face. Were you up front when High On Fire was up? The moshing was the worst then I think.

Yeah, I was up front during all the bands. From where I was it was definitely the worst for Opeth (someone behind me was really squishing me forward to no end).

Heres a pic of me, so you know if you saw me.
Photo6.jpg

Never saw you there either. Did you catch a glimpse of the guy who was in front of me for the majority of the show? He was this really nerdy looking guy and he would dance to everything. XD

As I said, this is not my first time upfront at a metal show, Sanzen. This time though it was overdone and took away from the music for me- the people behind did not let up at all and I was more squished than usual. Plus I normally head bang during parts, but could not even do that because I was that compressed. Of course, I may just be getting old :p

And yeah, I remember him. Odd kid. I was more near the bass end, where it seems you were toward the guitar? Looking at those pics I wished I stayed after, would have been cool to meet them again.

I was on the left side standing directly behind that kid. Yeah you should have stayed, they have a habit of greeting the fans especially at such small venues.

Yeah, I stayed the second time I saw them in concert and got to meet them, they were great and they spent a lot of time with us (well, until a bum came up, would not leave, and so they went back inside the bus). How long did it take them until they came out Friday night? For me the last time was about 1.5 to 2 hours.