Randall Warhead...

Impervious

Dec 1, 2006
I just bought one of these, and I've been messing with it pretty much all day, and I cant get it to sound very good at all... Was i mislead in thinking that these were cool? Or is mine like... broken? Or like... hahah i have no idea. I bought it because of the newest decapitated and vader albums (which used the warhead and a dual recto) sounding so good. I know what the recto sounds like, so i figured the rest must be the warhead.. Maybe im setting it completely wrong... or it doesnt go good with v30s or something... Do any of you have one of these?

I have a 5150, a triaxis rig and a dual recto, and they all blow this thing away. I guess you get what you pay for?

I got one and to be honest I hate it.. it sounds like crap... LOUD! but crap! I'm only keeping it to have it. (R.I.P DIME) Maybe someone out there can make it sound good IDK.

Huh, well actually i guess i can see how it could layer really well. It has this really odd midrange, and thats super tight. it just has no presence, or saturation or scoop. and has a really bad lowend. hahah... so pretty much everything sucks except for the mids.

Dime switched to Krank for a reason. Also, his techniques for getting good tone out of that Randall head in the studio were pretty extreme. He would triple-track his rhythms with the Randall, with either the Low, Mid, or High EQ cranked all the way up on each track, then blend all 3. At least that's what I remember reading... funky in any case...

Dime switched to Krank for a reason. Also, his techniques for getting good tone out of that Randall head in the studio were pretty extreme. He would triple-track his rhythms with the Randall, with either the Low, Mid, or High EQ cranked all the way up on each track, then blend all 3. At least that's what I remember reading... funky in any case...

He also used 2 Furman PQ3 parametric EQs in front of and after the preamp, very very very important in shaping that tone... I highly doubt he ever even used those Warheads live, they were most likely just stage props.

Yeah, I owned one of these when it first came out, It didnt work right and after the 3rd time I got it back from Randall I sold it, because it sounded like ass. Really dissapointing, I remember saving my money from my first job for like 6 months just to afford it, thinking when I get this head I will conquer the universe because I will have Dimes tones, needless to say I dont buy much without trying it first. bad memories...........