Rap

actually i wasn't referring to you. your post was quite applicable. i'm referring to the "rap sucks my cock!" posts. i think you can agree those posts are silly.

Yes and No. Yes they are cheap low shoots but they are not unjustified. Rap for the most part is aimed ar commercial success the generalized hate against it is like the generalized hate against boy bands they are about the same thing just aimed at different markets of the population. I am aware they are some underground rap artist out there but for the most part 90% of them would wish commercial success and even if they are dying of starvation that makes them money whores too.

I think you are way ahead of yourself when you asume you know everything there is to know about rap and compare it to metal and how people from the outside views it, and i think you were more worried about mocking everyone and saying you do not judge rap than to make a point about how rap could be something more than image and greed.

Originally posted by Misanthrope

Yes and No. Yes they are cheap low shoots but they are not unjustified. Rap for the most part is aimed ar commercial success the generalized hate against it is like the generalized hate against boy bands they are about the same thing just aimed at different markets of the population. I am aware they are some underground rap artist out there but for the most part 90% of them would wish commercial success and even if they are dying of starvation that makes them money whores too.

I think you are way ahead of yourself when you asume you know everything there is to know about rap and compare it to metal and how people from the outside views it, and i think you were more worried about mocking everyone and saying you do not judge rap than to make a point about how rap could be something more than image and greed.
no, i never claimed to know everything about rap. in fact, that was my point. the people posting here are assuming that the rap they've been exposed to is the only kind of rap there is. i personally am not familiar with lots of underground rap acts, but i know that they exist. and most people think that metal is only what they've heard on the radio -- nu-metal. it's just very hypocritical.

Originally posted by Lina
many of you sound completely ignorant. i'm surprised you don't realize that you know just as much about rap as most people know about metal. you're making fun of it in exactly the same way that other people make fun of metal by saying that it's all about devil-worshipping. as i said before, i don't like the turn that rap has made, but at least i'm trying to have an intelligent conversation.

um, cough, cough i know more about rap than most people that like rap music. i used to share a room with my brother who has about 2000 rap cds. he himself admits most new rap cds are shit and the old stuff is much better/more original. surprisingly someone called Lewis Parker who doesn't swear all the time and sing about the hood all the time sounds a lot better than the rest of the stuff out today. i still dont like it, but i dont mind it as much.

anyway everyone get the ealing gazette, im in it, wearing my Nile t-shirt :) its about our schools new computers, flat screen imacs, they're pretty good.

no, i never claimed to know everything about rap. in fact, that was my point. the people posting here are assuming that the rap they've been exposed to is the only kind of rap there is. i personally am not familiar with lots of underground rap acts, but i know that they exist. and most people think that metal is only what they've heard on the radio -- nu-metal. it's just very hypocritical.

Can you stop for a second and think what you are saying? you are saying is hypocritical to judge something you do not know, so say nothing, but you are asuming no one here knows rap ( i do and _Transparent_ does aparently ) so are you not judging everyone here for the few comments they say ? you do not know anything about rap and you say that people who dont know either shouldnt say anything either, are you not asuming no one here knows what he is talking about either that everyone here listens to mtv rap and makes a judgement and insults it because of that? Your standarts make you just as hypocritical as the people you claim to be hypocritical and do not even know they could be talking from hard experience how would you know?
You need to loose your selfsteem quickly if you keep pointing your finger at people someone like me in real life will bite it the fuck off.

oh jesus, settle down misanthrope. people were saying that it's all about niggaz and violence and bitches and hoes and drugs -- i'm just pointing out that i'm sure there is tons of underground rap none of us knows about. there's nothing controversial or egotistical about that statement.

I just cannot see it that way. Perhaps you need to watch what you say it always sounds pretentious im not saying that you are but why would you want to look that way when you talk...gets me.

Damn, I guess i am alone on this one......I like some rap and hip-hop....just last night actually at a friends house i was listening to Outkast, Master P:D , and i like UGK, NWA, Easy E, Wu Tang, Gravediggaz, Too Short, GZA, some Bone, Gangsta Pat, Kingpin Skinny Pimp, Three 6 Mafia, Public Enemy, KRS One, Eightball and MJG, Greenwade, Brotha Lynch, Crucial Conflict, Drama Squad....and on and on......So Fuck off, stop taking things so damn serious and have a little a fun with it:D :heh:

Originally posted by Lina
oh jesus, settle down misanthrope. people were saying that it's all about niggaz and violence and bitches and hoes and drugs -- i'm just pointing out that i'm sure there is tons of underground rap none of us knows about. there's nothing controversial or egotistical about that statement.

just because its underground doesnt mean it doesnt say ho, bitch, nigga all the time too. just listen to an rap song, it really does seem like those words are fillers to tie in with the songs rhyme/beat. ive heard a lot of rap and my brother even makes songs on the PC and mixes them at parties etc.

Originally posted by astarte
:lol: :lol:
i hate ebonics (sp??)

i knew a girl who couldn't talk normal, i never understood her emails :mad:

"hey whodis. ahhhh gah i gotz da bgz ya know im so phukin nervez about 2day b/c i fuckin tony for da first time we gonna roll on sum x 2 so it will feel like all of dat ya know.
wutz mah mothafuckin name?
jesus!
n-e-wayz.
peace out mah nizzlez
jenn to da izz-a"

:confused:

The sad part is, I actually understood that. :bah:

Originally posted by _Transparent_

just because its underground doesnt mean it doesnt say ho, bitch, nigga all the time too. just listen to an rap song, it really does seem like those words are fillers to tie in with the songs rhyme/beat. ive heard a lot of rap and my brother even makes songs on the PC and mixes them at parties etc.

I have to agree. My brother and their friends have tons of rap albums and mp3s. Most commertial, and a share f underground stuff. I can't say anything that hasn't been said before.

geeeeeeeez. For a bunch of people who listen to "underground" music most of you are real close-minded. I've always hated it when metal heads bash rap just because they have never heard any good rap. There is a bunch of good hip-hop out there guys! and it is definitly not all about bitches and hoez! I have a lot of friends who are big into underground hip-hop and i've heard some stuff i really like and would much rather listen to then some mediocre metal band. I'm not claiming to know a shit-load about the whole genre but i do know that there is plenty of good stuff out there. It might not be to your taste but that is know reason to blatently diss it! I bet you don't like it when people automatically assume that because you listen to metal your music sucks!

Originally posted by eldritch
geeeeeeeez. For a bunch of people who listen to "underground" music most of you are real close-minded. I've always hated it when metal heads bash rap just because they have never heard any good rap. There is a bunch of good hip-hop out there guys! and it is definitly not all about bitches and hoez! I have a lot of friends who are big into underground hip-hop and i've heard some stuff i really like and would much rather listen to then some mediocre metal band. I'm not claiming to know a shit-load about the whole genre but i do know that there is plenty of good stuff out there. It might not be to your taste but that is know reason to blatently diss it! I bet you don't like it when people automatically assume that because you listen to metal your music sucks!

well i did actually say ive heard rap that doesnt swear all the time, but i suppose you didnt bother reading that...:rolleyes: anyway when i said that swear words are used as fillers i didnt mean it as a diss, i meant it as a genuine observation.

oh and when people say that metal ''sucks'' as you put it, i feel a bit happier, i mean wouldnt you hate it if some r 'n' b/rap/garage fan went up to you and said they like bands like Opeth, Kataonia, etc? to me it would feel like theres a conection between the music i love and the music i hate. im not saying people dont like rap and metal or loads of different types of music but not everyone does.

Most rap simply sucks. Black people who made their way out of the ghetto (which is basically a good thing, of course) by making rhymes about how their life has been in the ghetto and white people pretending that they are black and have lived in the ghetto as well. Blah.
Of course, there may be good hip-hop somewhere out there, but I guess I'd only find out about that if I were interested in the rap scene generally, and I'm definitely not.

Originally posted by _Transparent_

well i did actually say ive heard rap that doesnt swear all the time, but i suppose you didnt bother reading that...:rolleyes: anyway when i said that swear words are used as fillers i didnt mean it as a diss, i meant it as a genuine observation.

oh and when people say that metal ''sucks'' as you put it, i feel a bit happier, i mean wouldnt you hate it if some r 'n' b/rap/garage fan went up to you and said they like bands like Opeth, Kataonia, etc? to me it would feel like theres a conection between the music i love and the music i hate. im not saying people dont like rap and metal or loads of different types of music but not everyone does.

i wasn't specifically reffering to you when i said that so don't get all offended man ;) And you are right about the swear word and filler thing. it is pretty lame when an mc does that! :lol:
it really wouldn't bother me at all if "some r 'n' b/rap/garage fan" told me they liked music i like. I'd totally be into it. More people need to be exposed to music like opeth. I hate that elitist attitude so many metal fans seem to have regarding "their" music. Whats wrong with liking both rap and opeth? Music is free for anyone to like. Would you start to hate opeth if suddenly they became the next big thing and toured in stadiums and everyone on the street started to like them? If you saw kids wearing opeth shirts all over the place? I could dig it. at least then i could hear some good music when i'm forced to listen to the radio :D

In my opinion the majority of people like music for an image, as good background noise, or to get all gooey-eyed at how attractive the band-members are. In the case of rap I think a very, very large amount of people listen to it because they think it makes them seem tough, and they enjoy blasting bass as loud as they possibly can. I know there are people out there that like rap because they can relate to it or appreciate whatever talent it takes to make it, these people are always a minority. The same goes for all other genres, including metal. A large majority of the people like metal because it's fast, loud, and can make them seem "evil" or "cool". I'm mainly refering to numetal here, but I think that if a lot of numetal people got into Opeth they would like it "for the wrong reasons", the people who like rap because it makes them seem tough, if they came to like Opeth, it would most probably be for the wrong reasons. Now don't get me wrong, your musical tastes can mature, you can realize you were listening to music for "the wrong reasons" and learn to appreciate it for the "right reasons", but if EVERYONE started to like Opeth, I almost assure you 90 percent of those who liked them wouldn't like them for the reasons most of us here on this board like them. I quote "the wrong reasons" and "the right reasons" because those reasons are my opinion, although I think a lot of people here would agree with my opinion of it.

yeah i agree with you about the whole right/wrong reason thing. But what is the right reason for someone is the wrong one for someone else. For me it's interesting musical ideas that make me like certain music. It could be a cool melody, a neat riff, an interesting beat, strange time-signature, etc.... I don't even bother talking about music woth most people cause they don't get what i'm talking about most of the time. which is probably why i hang out with people who are into actually making music instead of sitting around talking about how cult they are because they listen to this or that band. none of my friends listen to death/black metal at all really but they are way cooler than just about anyone i've ever met in "the scene". And you get exposed to so much more good music. A couple years ago i would never have even considered listening to anything that is not metal but now i spend more time listening to other genres of music cause i get more ideas from them than i would if i only listened to a specific type of music. Sorry of this is a bit incoherent but i'm tired
:loco: