Rap

It might not be for you. Its a good thing you didn't say it this way.

"Rap is stupid! blah blah blah!"

By the way I have a question for anyone who can answer it (its not about recommendations but it has relevance to Rap).

How come there are no pictures of the Gorillaz online, I can't seem to find any of the band. Apparently they don't show themselves because they're hideous or something.

It's two white guys

I'm surprised Dälek hasn't been mentioned yet. They even toured with Isis at some point. Their sound is heavily rooted in shoegaze/noise and they have an MC with a great voice and intelligent lyrics. I've sent songs to a bunch of people who generally dislike hiphop and most of them tended to like this. So give it a try.

Aside from that I'd mention (and seconding some stuff others have mentioned):

Wu-Tang Clan (old material + the first round of solo albums, after that everyone except for Ghostface has pretty much just released crap)
GZA (part of the Wu-Tang Clan but worthy enough to be mentioned seperately, Liquid Swords is a fucking masterpiece)
Cypress Hill
Gravediggaz
Rakim
The Fugees
The Roots
Beastie Boys
KRS-ONE
Aesop Rock is okay but I find his voice pretty grating.

And for some good instrumental hiphop I'd recommend:

DJ Krush
DJ Shadow
Blockhead

Grandmaster Flash
Grandmaster Melle Mel
Masta Ace
Frantic
Chipmunk
Jeru The Damaja
Pete Rock
The Pharcyde
Cypress Hill

Some have already been mentioned, but I figured no harm in mentioning them twice.

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Aesop Rock - Labor Days, None Shall Pass
Alias - The Other Side of the Looking Glass
Army of the Pharaohs - The Torture Papers, Ritual of Battle
Arsonists - As the World Burns
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Cunninlynguists - Southernunderground, A Piece of Strange
Dälek - Absence, Abandoned Langauge, Negro Nekro Nekros, From Filthy Tongue of Gods and Griots
Deep Puddle Dynamics - The Taste of Rain...Why Kneel?
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Gangstarr - Moment of Truth
Gravediggaz - Six Feet Deep
GZA - Liquid Swords
Jedi Mind Tricks - Violent by Design, The Psycho Social, Visions of Gandhi, Servants in Heaven Kings in Hell, Legacy of Blood
Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East
Jus Allah - All Fates Have Changed
K OS - Joyful Rebellion, Atlantis: Hymns for Disco
Living Legends - Almost Famous
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol 1. and Vol. 2
Madvillain - Madvillainy
MF Doom/Viktor Vaughn - Doomsday, Vaudeville Villain, Mmm...Food
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Non-Phixion - The Future is Now
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Sabac - Sabacalypse
Saul Williams - The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust
Slug & Murs/Felt - A Tribute to Christina Ricci, A Tribute to Lisa Bonet
Sole - Selling Live Water
Souls of Mischeif - 93 'Til Infinity
Soul Position - 8 Million Stories
The Fugees - The Score

How about shit-canning all of it. Hey kidding Feathers, you seem like a good guy with interesting musical taste. For me, and maybe my age 54 has something to do with it, I just never understood the praise this genre recieves. Poetry put to a rythem. Seems like no real originality. However, I do respect the fact that "Rap" is a form of musical expression. The only rap musicians that I thought were fair are "The Roots." There appears to be some talent.:zombie:

It's sad that you're 54 and this ignorant.

Although I am not a fan of rap, a friend of mine mentioned to me he heard some coming from a window as he walked through a college campus. He said it was almost "evil" rap with chanting and stuff going on. He wasn't a fan of the genre either but he said this stuff was total badass. He never knocked to find out who it was.

Maybe someone has an idea of who this could be?

I only like a couple of his songs but at least he's proved to many close-minded people that there is more to Rap than bling and rolling in cars with drugs.

I love Eminem. Smart rhymes and an extremely emotional delivery.

I also love when a rap song takes a sweet rock song and gives in new life with killer lyrics. Hip Hop is Dead by Nas kicks ass.

Anybody know any really guitar heavy and riff-heavy rap? Preferably 90s or 00s.

I used to like Eminem. But I really can't stand him much anymore, he sounds retarded when he Raps in my opinion.

These are the only songs by him worth listening to.

And the first mellow one he made about his daughter, it was made in 2004 or around that time.

He pretty much lost his touch when D12 formed in my opinion.

I don't like it when he's compared to Tupac. It annoys me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only like a couple of his songs but at least he's proved to many close-minded people that there is more to Rap than bling and rolling in cars with drugs.

What!? He described his music about sex and murder. Thats it. He is the same as any other perverse rapper only talking about these MUCH more brutal.

I used to like Eminem. But I really can't stand him much anymore, he sounds retarded when he Raps in my opinion.

yeah...

These are the only songs by him worth listening to.

Like Toy Soldiers
And the first mellow one he made about his daughter, it was made in 2004 or around that time.

He pretty much lost his touch when D12 formed in my opinion.

I don't like it when he's compared to Tupac. It annoys me.

I mainly only listen to his first 2 albums but I think his lyrics are pretty damn excellent. I wouldn't compare him to Tupac, but Em's definetly my favorite rapper.

I love Eminem. Smart rhymes and an extremely emotional delivery.

I also love when a rap song takes a sweet rock song and gives in new life with killer lyrics. Hip Hop is Dead by Nas kicks ass.

Anybody know any really guitar heavy and riff-heavy rap? Preferably 90s or 00s.

http://media.putfile.com/Necro---Suffocated-to-Death-by-Gods-Shadow

http://media.putfile.com/Necro---Evil-Rules

http://media.putfile.com/Necro---Insaneology

http://media.putfile.com/Slow-Suicide-Stimulus---Say-Cheese

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the ones are like:
Tupac, Xzibit, Eminem, D12, Redman, DMX, Obie Trice, Snoop Dogg and I don't remember other because its a long time since I heard this genre. I most like older rap because nowadays its mostly shit. Others I like are some Hip Hop bands around my region and country which are very good, way better than most mainstream rap but because of having less popularity these are difficult to find songs.