rare prog from early 70s

deliverance said:
yesterday i got:
judas priest - double live in london album (with ripper)
buckethead - funnel weaver
i love priest, however i was never too fond of ripper.

as for buckethead, i havent heard much...but he seems quite skilled. whats that album like?

i know he's a crazy guitarist who wears a kfc bucket on his head. apparently, he's pretty damn good too.

i would recommend devil doll to all of you, it's truly a great experience.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i love priest, however i was never too fond of ripper.

as for buckethead, i havent heard much...but he seems quite skilled. whats that album like?

well when i had the priest album in my hand, i wasn't too sure when it was recorded, though it had been released in '03, so i figured ripper was the singer. this was actually my first time hearing him doing the vox, and i was quite impressed. he does a fuckin great job sounding like halford, but halford is better. the album fuckin rules though. over the last couple months i've gotten hugely into priest.
as for the buckethead album, it's weird, experimental, this cd had 49 songs on it. you can pretty much see that the songs aren't gonna be too long, about a min. a piece. they aren't really "full" type songs, so i don't care much for it, as of now. however, i downloaded another one of his albums a while back
called "monsters and robots"
so if you wanna check him out, check out that one, it's impressive.

I haven't picked up anything from the 70s recently, but I DO have Enslaved's Isa on order....should be here in a week or so....if it's anywhere approaching Below the Lights or Monumension then I will be a happy man.

I also picked up Green Carnation's A Blessing in Disguise - it's not bad, took a while to get into, but still nowhere near as good as Light of Day, Day of Darkness.

Oh yeah, I got Pentangle's Cruel Sister quite recently as well...I like it. Have to be in the right mood for it, but it;s good.

I got ISA the other day and it rocks, its quite hard to get into though, cuz the tracks are really complex and somtimes sound disjointed. I was only disapointed by the lack of acoustic guitars, although the track that features them is the best of the album. :headbang: "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

I hate the fact that goblin albums are like impossible to get, in sweden anyway. Any tips on webstores with a safe orderingsystem?
And can anyone fill me in a little more abouts the subgenre "krautrock"

Kung Keno said:
I hate the fact that goblin albums are like impossible to get, in sweden anyway. Any tips on webstores with a safe orderingsystem?
And can anyone fill me in a little more abouts the subgenre "krautrock"

you can find a defenition of almost all prog sub genres if you go back a page or two in this thread, as i gave a brief defenition for each, and a few example bands for each as well.

as for goblin, its hard to get their albums in the states as well, but ive had luck with the following places:

www.ebay.com
www.mellotronen.com
www.freakemporium.com

Hey guys!

I'm quite amazed many of you are into this music! I love it but I don't want any competition in my hunt for rare, great records.

Some more hints and thoughts:

Motherlight by Bobak, Jones and Malone (197?) is AMAZING! Very dark and eerie psychedelia with a slight pop sensibility.

Blue phantom - Distortions. I bought it today for £50 based on the cover and the title alone. This has to be good, anyone heard em?

Czar - Same (1971)....this is super cool stuff only that the mellotron is out of tune!

England - Garden shed....late (1977) technical prog rock in the vein of Yes and maybe Genesis. The singer sounds like John Wetton at times. Lots of mellotron!

Narnia - Aslan was not a tame lion...from 1974. Good, well played prog with female vocals...SUPER rare! I have it of course....slightly religious...ugh!

Spirogyra - Bells boots & shambles. Partly fantastic folk rock record from 1973. The male singer is crap and over political while the chick (Barbara Gaskin from Egg) is FANTASTIC!

Cirkus - One (1973)...very melodic and great tunes, but sometimes slightly cheesy lyrics...

Cherry five (1975)....Pre-Goblin with vocals. Really good but not as adventurous and evocative as Goblin. Should you find the vinyl I WILL STEAL IT FROM YOU!

Il balletto di bronzo - YS (1972)....I'm not a total fan yet as it's very tripped out and hard to get into. These guys got into smack I believe....wild stuff!!

Solarplexus - Same (1971)...GREAT fusion jazz rock from Sweden featuring some of the elite musicians. A must have!!

Locomotive - We are everything you see (1970). Great jazz rock which was managed by Jim Simpson who took care of Sabbath in their early days.

That's some stuff for ya to check out.
Take care guys!
Cheers
Mike

Interesting the bands sound good but its probably really hard find their records.

Yet another post from Mike, this is cool, Now lets get searching...

deliverance said:
i've yet to hear enslaved. they're on my "to d/l" list.

Ahh man your missing out Enslaved are to black metal what Opeth are to Death Metal, get 'Below the Lights' first

Hello
I like too the prog from 70s thanks to my father who's a big Yes fan.
Thank you Mikael (wow the real mikael :OMG: ) for your council, I will listen to it :)

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
These guys got into smack I believe....wild stuff

classic, haha.

thanks for the recommendations mike, but youre gonna have to do better than that...ive already got all those, hehe...but some excellent choices indeed.

i still dont like cirkus all that much...a little too cheesey and generic, but a decent listen once in a while for melodic borderline/symphonic prog.

and i cant express how good locomotive is either...ive spun that album dozens of times, and its still amazing!

happy hunting everyone!

Yeah, for my birthday I got a couple of cd's as presents (that's amazing)
King Crimson:
Islands
Larks' Tongues In The Aspic
Starless And Bible Black
Discipline
Three Of A Perfect Pair
The Cure:
Disintegration
Staring At The Sea: The Singles
Amon Amarth:
Once Sent For The Golden Hall
Vs. The World