rare prog from early 70s

spigot said:
This should be useful for people who want a small sampling of prog. from the 70s http://artrock.rinet.ru:8080/mp3/

Wow spigot, im impressed with that site...so many mp3s for people to sift through....if only i had that site back in my crazy prog buying days, then it would helped tons.

Stefan Dimle (paatos, landberk, morte macabre) sent me a few albums in exchange for a DVD i sent him, one is by Emma Nordenstam. It just came out, and its progressive folky stuff, with Reine Fiske (landberk, paatos, morte macabre, dungen) on guitar on a few tracks as well. Very melancholic stuff, like Linda Perhacs or Tirill. I highly recommend it. The other one is "puckspony" the debut solo album of Huxflux Nettermalm of Paatos...its progressive and experimental electronic music...similar vein to Ulver - Perdition City type stuff, but maybe more happy in parts. I recommend that as well.

Help keep this thread alive folks, its this forum's saving grace at this point. :p

abcdefg said:
^namer dropper
Ive been closely aquainted with him for a long time now...if you mentioned a friend in a thread, i dont think i would call it namedropping. The only reason i mentioned the bands he was in, is so that people who might be unsure of the albums i was recommending would know it came from a reliable source. :)

Tthought this belonged in here, sounds like a cool dvd, the sight and sound footage seems incomplete though, the version i have seen also has the white rider and preperation/dunkirk, but sounds cool anyway.

RELEASE DATE: SOON!
TRACKS: 14
RUN TIME: Approx 80 mins. ___________________________________________________________

TRACK LISTING:
1973 - Guildford Civic Hall Track: Never Let Go Musicians: Latimer, Bardens, Ferguson and Ward
1975 - BBC Old Grey Whistle Test, in BBC studios Tracks: The Snow Goose, Friendship, Rhayader Goes To Town Musicians: Latimer, Bardens, Ferguson and Ward
1977 - BBC Sight and Sound at the Hippodrome Tracks: First Light, Metrognome, Unevensong, Lunar Sea, Rain Dances Musicians: Latimer, Bardens, Ward, Sinclair and Collins
1981 - Shepperton Studios, Michael Appleton for Old Grey Whistle Test Track: City Life Musicians: Latimer, Ward, Bass, Watkins and Schelhaas
1984 - Hammersmith Odeon, London; Mike Mansfield for Mirror Image Track: Captured Musicians: Latimer, Bass, Burgess, Rainbow, Scherpenzeel
1992 - Town & Country, London - Amateur Footage of low quality but a great gig
Tracks: Hopeless Anger, Whispers in the Rain Musicians: Latimer, Bass, Simmonds and Burgess 1997 - Billboad Live, Los Angeles - David Minasian; previously unreleased footage. Tracks: Preparation, Dunkirk Musicians: Latimer, Bass, Patterson and Stewart

BONUS TRACK: Left Luggage
Recorded at Little Barn Studios, California Musicians: Latimer, Ward and Ferguson

Alternative 3 said:
Tthought this belonged in here, sounds like a cool dvd, the sight and sound footage seems incomplete though, the version i have seen also has the white rider and preperation/dunkirk, but sounds cool anyway.

RELEASE DATE: SOON!
TRACKS: 14
RUN TIME: Approx 80 mins. ___________________________________________________________

TRACK LISTING:
1973 - Guildford Civic Hall Track: Never Let Go Musicians: Latimer, Bardens, Ferguson and Ward
1975 - BBC Old Grey Whistle Test, in BBC studios Tracks: The Snow Goose, Friendship, Rhayader Goes To Town Musicians: Latimer, Bardens, Ferguson and Ward
1977 - BBC Sight and Sound at the Hippodrome Tracks: First Light, Metrognome, Unevensong, Lunar Sea, Rain Dances Musicians: Latimer, Bardens, Ward, Sinclair and Collins
1981 - Shepperton Studios, Michael Appleton for Old Grey Whistle Test Track: City Life Musicians: Latimer, Ward, Bass, Watkins and Schelhaas
1984 - Hammersmith Odeon, London; Mike Mansfield for Mirror Image Track: Captured Musicians: Latimer, Bass, Burgess, Rainbow, Scherpenzeel
1992 - Town & Country, London - Amateur Footage of low quality but a great gig
Tracks: Hopeless Anger, Whispers in the Rain Musicians: Latimer, Bass, Simmonds and Burgess 1997 - Billboad Live, Los Angeles - David Minasian; previously unreleased footage. Tracks: Preparation, Dunkirk Musicians: Latimer, Bass, Patterson and Stewart

BONUS TRACK: Left Luggage
Recorded at Little Barn Studios, California Musicians: Latimer, Ward and Ferguson

Yep, this DVD shall be quite amazing, ive been waiting for them to release it for a while now. You actually can see footage from all of those shows on the Camel - Curiculum Vitae DVD that was released a few years ago...but none of them are in their entirety, so this will be a nice treat.

But yea, for anyone who wants to see some 70s and 80s footage of Camel, as well as interviews and video biography of the band, should pick up the Curiculum Vitae DVD as well. ;)

Yes i bet we are all looking forward to this one.

I was wondering if anyone around here knows of any good recordstores in stockholm with a lot of the stuff we have been talking about?

Kung Keno said:
Yes i bet we are all looking forward to this one.

I was wondering if anyone around here knows of any good recordstores in stockholm with a lot of the stuff we have been talking about?

Stefan Dimle of paatos, landberk and morte macabre opened a store of his own (and a label of the same name) called "mellotronen". i order quite a bit from him on a regular basis, as do many other people i know. i would try his store if youre in the area, otherwise try www.mellotronen.com

Yes i know about that store and have also made some orders from it. And i actually have visited it once to, great little place in "gamla stan" stockholm. Mikael is ,or at least has, worked there.

Dones anyone else have any tips? I´m going there soon so..

Ninefeet... Can you please tell more about how the whole genre "prog/psych/symph-rock" started and some more about the sub-genres(i found that really interesting)

Kung Keno said:
Ninefeet... Can you please tell more about how the whole genre "prog/psych/symph-rock" started and some more about the sub-genres(i found that really interesting)
Well, its not as black and white as i would like it to be, for there are many different interpretations on how the genres started. Some would say the beatles inspired it with sgt peppers and abbey road. Along with the moody blues earlier works, procol harum, and of course early pink floyd. However many other bands could also be factored into this, early yes, and of course king crimson who many would claim made the first real "progressive rock" album in court of the crimson king...which was in 69.

I personally would say that king crimson started the boom of classical elements and longer songs, in more emotional and artsy rock material...for it just makes sense to me. Keep in mind im not necessarily right, or wrong, its just a matter of opinion...and all this is coming from the top of my head, so forgive me if i leave anything important out.

Heres a small briefing of the sub genres and some bands that fall under the category:

Proto Prog - The Beatles, Moody Blues, Procol Harum, etc - The launching point of bands who would later influence progressive rock to become what it did. Had hints of complicated arrangements and time signatures, but mainly derived of its generally artistic and "daring" aproach to rock at the time.

Symphonic Prog - Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Camel, Emerson Lake And Palmer, etc: typically a genre of progressive rock consisting of classical and complex arrangements and time signatures, with plenty of melody and soloing.

Psychadelia - Pink Floyd, Arzachel, Locomotive, Earth And Fire, etc: Based primarily on the psychadelic music crafted by the likes of cream, jimi hendrix, and others...it used more fuzz guitar and swirling keyboards/organs to create a very psychologicallly "trippy" and surreal atmosphere within the realm of rock.

KrautRock - Agitation Free, Novalis, Magma, Can, etc: Coined from being "German" Prog bands. Highly experimental and often spacey, long and drawn out tracks of musical layers, patterns and soundscapes all somehow cohesive under the rock tag. Some more symphonic sounding than others, more psychadelic than anything else...it varies from band to band. Some having native german tongue as vocals, some featuring english as well.

Progressive Folk - Trees, Spirogyra, Donovan, Linda Perhacs, etc: A sub genre of progressive rock which was deeply rooted (usually) in british folk music, either in the instrumentation or lyrically/vocally...carrying a more "down to earth" and organic feel than symphonic prog and its other like genres. YOull find a lot of acoustic instruments and vocal harmonies in this type of progressive rock.

Canterbury Prog - Caravan, Hatfield And The North, Soft Machine, Matching Mole, etc: Another sub genre of prog, but not to be overlooked. Coined after the town of canterbury england, consisted mainly of a small group of musicians who created a usually tongue in cheek, groovy, jazzy and experimental form of rock. Many times having lyrics that made no sense or at least were very strange and humorous, with long jam out sections, often including horns, flutes or saxaphones as well.

Neo Prog - Anekdoten, Landberk, Paatos, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, White Willow, Anglagard, etc: A debatable and less descript typecasting of bands, but consisting of late 80s, mainly early 90s and then on. The majority of the best in my opinion hail from sweden in this new prog wave, however plenty do come from elsewhere in scandanavia and worldwide as well. Most often taking the elements of 70s prog and re-creating or re-inventing the genre using modern technology and elements and/or ideals, to make something new and fresh, while not compromising the classic sound of the 70s most of us love. Dont let the word "neo" scare you however, these bands are just as good if not better than a lot of the 70s bands.

thanks for checking out all of this, i hope i have helped at least a bit...if you have anymore questions or if anyone has any input, feel free to share.

enjoy :)

Thanks alot, now i can really get into the shit.
A very good neo prog band from northern sweden is Liquid Scarlet. They have realeased one album (selftitled) and will probably not realease any more material.

deliverance said:
i recently dl'ed my first anekdoten album, "vemod", and i must say, there are several parts that sound A LOT like primus haha.
thats probably the querky king crimson influence youre actually picking up on there....

id highly recommend downloading "gravity" its more accessible, and more mature all around...theyve found their own style and sound on that album surely. great stuff.

for anyone whos into porcupine tree/blackfield/etc...it appears that blackfield will be touring europe, i took the time to post the info about it here. hopefully some of you will be lucky enough to see them!

Blackfield, the collaboration between Steven Wilson and Aviv Geffen, are happy to announce that following successful debut shows in Tel Aviv and London, they will now undertake a full European tour later in the year. Shows so far confirmed are:

November

27 - Greece, ATHENS,
Rodon Club (tel: +2119559900 or +210 5247427)
29 - Belgium, VERVIERS,
Spirit of 66 (tel: +32 87 35.24.240)
30 - Holland, RIJSSEN,
Lucky (tel: 0900 - 300 1250)

December

1 - Holland, ZOETERMEER,
Boerderij (tel: 0900 - 300 1250)
3 - Germany, BERLIN,
Columbia Club (tel: 01805 562030)
4 - Germany, HAMBURG,
Knust (tel: 01805 562030)
5 - Germany, COLOGNE,
Prime Club (tel: 01805 562030)
6 - Germany, BOCHUM,
Matrix (tel: 01805 562030)
7 - Germany, ASCAHAFFENBURG,
Colosaal (tel: 01805 562030)
8 - Germany, KARLSRUHE,
Substage (tel: 01805 562030)
9 - Switzerland, PRATTELN,
Z7 (tel: 061-8214810)
10 - Italy, MILAN,
Transilvania (tel: +39.02.392261)
12 - Austria, SALZBURG,
Rockhouse (tel: +43 (6272) 2041414)
13 - Poland, KRAKOW, Rotunda
14 - Poland, BYDGOSZCZ, Kuznia

yes, theyre not covering much ground at all it seems. oh well, i cant get too pissed myself, seeing as theyre not even planning on stepping foot on american soil whatsoever even in the future i beleive. :erk: