rare prog from early 70s

Has anyone noticed that PFM's track Chocolate Kings totally rips off Yes's Siberian Khatru? I mean, not even inspired by, but the exact same riff.

Abhorsen said:
Van der Graaf Generator is one of the finest prog bands you can find from the 1970's. Dark, chaotic, and very intense. My favorites are Godbluff and Pawn Hearts.

Still life was the last album of theirs i ever got...and i loved it...almost as much as pawn hearts...which still is my favorite by them.

spigot said:
Has anyone noticed that PFM's track Chocolate Kings totally rips off Yes's Siberian Khatru? I mean, not even inspired by, but the exact same riff.
One of PFMs obviously biggest influences next to Genesis is Yes...and they borrowed from both bands on more than one occasion...some more obvious than others.

if you cant get into the italian vocal stylings....give their album "photos of ghosts" a shot...its essentially the same album as "per un amico" but with english vocals/lyrics....very good stuff and probably more accesible than the other albums...but i recommend trying any and all of them...very rewarding listen.

Yeah... I've heard that album and I prefer Per Un Amico to Photos of Ghosts. Orchid has a very similar pacing to songs in PFM. I'm not saying that they are similar sounding but rather than the riff changes come at similar times and overall structuring.
Btw has anyone heard Uz Jsme Doma? Very unique sounding(80's band actually) but very consistently entertaining.

spigot said:
Yeah... I've heard that album and I prefer Per Un Amico to Photos of Ghosts.
me too...more genuine to me...and i dont mind the italian vocals.

spigot said:
Btw has anyone heard Uz Jsme Doma? Very unique sounding(80's band actually) but very consistently entertaining.
nope...i havent explored 80s stuff much at all...i have liked very very little of what ive heard, so not much motivation.

NineFeetUnderground said:
Bump.

hopefully soon i can post some of my progressive material on here for anyone who is interested in checking it out. ill keep updates on here

Ohhhh....sounds fucking interesting...can't wait.

You could check out the samples on Uz Jsme Doma's official website. The tracks are low quality but the songs are very impressive.

NineFeetUnderground said:
if you cant get into the italian vocal stylings....give their album "photos of ghosts" a shot...its essentially the same album as "per un amico" but with english vocals/lyrics....very good stuff and probably more accesible than the other albums...but i recommend trying any and all of them...very rewarding listen.

Yeah, I picked up photos of ghosts on vinyl for under 20 bucks (australian)! Not too shabby....was in perfect condition and all. I've only heard the title track in both Italian and English, and like you guys said earlier - the Italian version is definitely superior. Still, I'm not complaining, it's a damn fine album!

On an additional prog related note, I found Spring's self titled album (their only I think?) while in a local record store (although it was on CD unfortunately). It's a little over-rated I think, but still a great album.

Katabasis said:
On an additional prog related note, I found Spring's self titled album (their only I think?) while in a local record store (although it was on CD unfortunately). It's a little over-rated I think, but still a great album.
I like the album very much...some great songs on there...especially if you like mellotron. Try giving it a few more spins...i think it will continue to grow on you...especially "grail" and "gazing".

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Ohhhh....sounds fucking interesting...can't wait.
im doing my best....i havent had as much time to write material as i would have liked recently...as well as having to adjust and learn the programming of a new keyboard i got....but dont worry, ill put the material or at least some samples as soon as i can! thanks for the continued interest.

yeah, 'grail' and 'gazing' are probably my two faves at this point.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, especially for the mellotron (what a lush instrument), it's just that the handful of reviews made out that it was almost untouchable in prog circles.

And also, keep me posted as to your prog project. I'd also be quite interested to hear it. Any hint as to what sort of sonic-scape you're exploring? Organic? Symphonic? 70s-ish or more neo-prog?

Katabasis said:
yeah, 'grail' and 'gazing' are probably my two faves at this point.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, especially for the mellotron (what a lush instrument), it's just that the handful of reviews made out that it was almost untouchable in prog circles.

And also, keep me posted as to your prog project. I'd also be quite interested to hear it. Any hint as to what sort of sonic-scape you're exploring? Organic? Symphonic? 70s-ish or more neo-prog?
my project has drawn a lot of inspiration from the swedish boom of melancholy and modern, yet classic sounding prog bands. There will be a lot of 70s sounding influence there, but some modern stuff to keep it fresh as well...no point in having a progressive band...if youre not going to progress and do something fairly original or new.

itll be along the lines of paatos, morte macabre, landberk, anekdoten, etc...

think sad, dark, melodic, atmospheric, but warm...even spacey in places....like it could be from the 70s...but not terribly dated either...it will have a modern aproach to it. thats where my heart and creativity are at right now. :)

spigot said:
Nice, but Paatos always sounded quite boring to me.

Well im very sorry to hear that....i personally think theyre one of the most interesting and entertaining bands of recent times...and not just in prog circles. :erk:

i suggest giving another listen....as well as checking out their new album which came out earlier this year.