rare prog from early 70s

jaykeegan said:
LordHypnos: Do you happen to use MSN? If so, do you think you could possibly send me some Popol Vuh songs?

yea, i have MSN. i do have a slight problem with sending albums that ive had to track down and/or pay quite a bit of money for to everyone else for free...but i suppose i could send you a few tracks if you wanted.

i just dont like doing all the footwork just to have kids mooch the material, and usually not even like it when all is said and done. im sure you understand.

whats your msn name/address?

Alternative 3 said:
How big is your vinyl collection Lord?

used to be a lot. however, its down to about 300 now...i started to sell off the vinyls and re-buy the albums in cd format...i only have 300 left now to rid of and replace.

vinyls tend to wear and become high maintinence...not to mention i cant travel with them or bring them in the car with me or to work...so, i decided i wouldnt collect vinyl anymore, considering most things are being re-printed on cd format now...and saves space.

the CD collection is quite large...there was a thread about cd collections a few months ago, if you want to know what mine is like, you can check out my posts there.

Whew.
I just read this whole thread. Must be (one of) the best, or at least the most interesting I've ever read. I have simultaneously downloaded a few songs by Comus, Cressida, Matching Mole, Can, Hatfield and the North, Nektar and Triumvirat and I'm listening to them right now. I've been into prog for a couple of years now, and I have bought quite a few albums, most of them by the more well-known artists however (King Crimson, Yes, Camel etc.).
I would like to recommend a few albums I rate as the best prog I've heard, and I would gladly hear comments, especially from LordHypnos :)

Here goes:

Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Pekka Pohjola - Pihkasilmä kaarnakorva/ResinEye BarkEar
Pekka Pohjola - Harakka Bialoipokku/B the Magpie
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
Wigwam - Being
Camel - The Snow Goose

If someone feels my "best of" -list is somehow incomplete, I will be happy to receive recommendations of good melodic, epic and dramatic prog albums.

Of newer prog-influenced bands I prefer Pain of Salvation and The Mars Volta.

Btw, I believe that at least at some point Made in Sweden consisted mostly of Finnish members.

I posted this in the non metal forum as well but I'll post it here too.

I just heard Goblins "Black Forest" for the first time and the first 12 seconds sounds a LOT like something I've heard before...but I'm not sure what it is. Be it in a movie, videogame, another song or what...it sounds eerily familiar.

Anyone know anything that sounds similar? It's drivin' me crazy!

Elek said:
I posted this in the non metal forum as well but I'll post it here too.

I just heard Goblins "Black Forest" for the first time and the first 12 seconds sounds a LOT like something I've heard before...but I'm not sure what it is. Be it in a movie, videogame, another song or what...it sounds eerily familiar.

Anyone know anything that sounds similar? It's drivin' me crazy!

most goblin material will sound like video games or perhaps horror movie soundtracks, some of which you might have seen. but i cant think of a particular song that black forest directly resembles, sorry.

if you like popol vuh you should definatly check out Ash Ra Tempel
some brian eno is very relaxing too. (liek Music for Airports)
also tarentel, labradford, and stars of the lid. (all 3 are newer)

should mention the album Seven Up by Ash Ra Tempel and Tim Leary. the name is because they recorded it with the help of a 7-up bottle full of lsd. though i'm pretty sure they were fucked up on all their albums. Inventions for Electric Guitar is another good Ash Ra album.