rare prog from early 70s

Alternative 3 said:
Do they sound anything like Grobshnitt? I have the solar music side of Balllerman and it sounds like Uriah heep at the start then goes all Psychadelic, does Night Sun sound like that?

nope, not really. grobschnitt is more of a symphonic prog band...in the vein of genesis, nektar or yes more or less.

night sun is more like discouraged said, a psychadelic/acid whacked out zeppelin. hard and heavy, but trippy too.

hey LordProggos, :) i need your help. i've downloaded fantasy-paint a picture but have no tracklist. can you post the tracknames here? (it has 16 tracks.)

i have also downloaded culpeper's orchard-st and it has 9 songs, but one, the 5th, is missing. (the trax i have are: banjocul, mountain music pt.1, hey you people, teaparty for an orchard, your song and mine, gideon's trap, blue day's morning, mountain music pt.2). do you have it, and, can you send it to me via msn?

thanx

discouraged1 said:
hey LordProggos, :) i need your help. i've downloaded fantasy-paint a picture but have no tracklist. can you post the tracknames here? (it has 16 tracks.)

i have also downloaded culpeper's orchard-st and it has 9 songs, but one, the 5th, is missing. (the trax i have are: banjocul, mountain music pt.1, hey you people, teaparty for an orchard, your song and mine, gideon's trap, blue day's morning, mountain music pt.2). do you have it, and, can you send it to me via msn?

thanx

You must have purchased a fantasy - paint a picture re-release if it has 16 tracks. The album has 10 official studio tracks, anything beyond that arent from the original album. heres the original tracklisting:

1. Paint a Picture 5:22
2. Circus 6:16
3. The Award 4:49
4. Politely Insane 3:26
5. Widow 2:09
6. Icy River 5:53
7. Thank Christ 4:05
8. Young Man's Fortune 3:41
9. Gnome Song 4:15
10. Silent Mime 4:41

As for the culpeper's Orchard S/T album...i only have it on vinyl, so i dont really have a way to get it to you right now. The track youre looking for is called "Ode To Resistance". However, i plan on getting it on cd soon as i am for all my records i dont have on cd yet...vinyls are just getting too expensive and high maintinence to keep in good shape and worry about not getting ruined, and everythign is being released on cd now with bonus tracks, and remastered, and fairly inexpensive which is very nice. But anyway, when i get it, ill be sure to send you the track to you via: MSN. :)

Themoor666 said:
where might one find much of this rare prog rock?

Youd be strapped to find MP3s aside from mIRC of rare prog rock. You can try old vinyl shops or garage sales or liquidations of old records. And now a lot of releases are being put onto CD format, so try the internet...places like www.freakemporium.com is my personal favorite for cd releases.

Its all about the hunt, so have patience but enjoy yourself. ;)

Gong was cool.
Focus were tits live. Small beginnings(sp) was a sort-of hit.
Trapeze were a three peice of mostly rock stuff but ahead of
their time.
The Captain Beyond with Dancing Madly Backwards on it
was a classic. Great 5/4 and odder times.
Pavlov's Dog were strange with a dude that had a higher voice
than Geddy Lee.
Zappa's One Size Fits All (1975) was heading in the right way.
Check out Inca Roads.
Return To Forever's 1974 Where Have I Known You Before was
one nice album.
Must buy early 70's Prog recommended by this thread!!!!!
thanks Lord Hyppie.

gatedropper said:
Gong was cool.
Focus were tits live. Small beginnings(sp) was a sort-of hit.
Trapeze were a three peice of mostly rock stuff but ahead of
their time.
The Captain Beyond with Dancing Madly Backwards on it
was a classic. Great 5/4 and odder times.
Pavlov's Dog were strange with a dude that had a higher voice
than Geddy Lee.
Zappa's One Size Fits All (1975) was heading in the right way.
Check out Inca Roads.
Return To Forever's 1974 Where Have I Known You Before was
one nice album.
Must buy early 70's Prog recommended by this thread!!!!!
thanks Lord Hyppie.

no prob, pleasant hunting!

lord hypnos: truce for a moment if you will.......
was wondering what you think of transatlantic.

Alternative 3 said:
gatedropper said:
Pavlov's Dog were strange with a dude that had a higher voice than Geddy Lee.
QUOTE]

He has asthma, or a similar condition that makes his voice sound like that.

From what I have heard they still play in St. Louis every once in a while.
Me thinks they are from there.

He had a condition? How weird.