rare prog from early 70s

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
Hi people!

I haven't plugged any obscure shit lately, here's my opportunity!
All the below are pretty rare on original vinyl but most are available on Cd.

Hölderlins traum - Fantastic german band from the early 70´s!
Cactus - One way or another - Super heavy blues rock from 71 with Vanilla fudge members.
Circus 2000 - An escape from a box - Italian doomy prog with chick vox
These trails - Wierd folky dark stuff from Hawaii!
Lucifer's friend - Where the groupies killed the blues - Amazing and super progressive for being 1972. Their first (1970) is a metal masterpiece too!
Museo rosenbach - Zarathustra Dark evil prog from Italy (1973)
Arzachel (1969) - Super echoey dark semi-satanic psych with Steve Hillage from Gong.
Höst - Fantastic prog/heavy rock band from Norway. Mid 70´s.
Mecki mark men - Swedish super psych/drug rock from late 60´s/early 70´s! Did 3 albums.
England - Garden shed - Good technical symph rock in the vein of Yes and Genesis.
Popol vuh - Get everything if you like psychedelic spaced out ambient meditative shit. Their "Nosferatu" Lp is what we use as intro/outro music for our shows.

Happy hunting!
Cheers
Mike

got them. ;) except for "these trails".

i cant recommend lucifer's friend enough as well...very good stuff.

Anyone heard Isotope, i got recomended an album of thiers by a guy in the record shop here. Its a good album (i think its a best of) they are from england and play like jazz, fusiony stuff.

Id like to hear the rest on tha land of grey and pink, the title track is awesome (nasty grumbly grimblies wtf??) i would like the ramsetered version if i can get it though.

Alternative 3 said:
Anyone heard Isotope, i got recomended an album of thiers by a guy in the record shop here. Its a good album (i think its a best of) they are from england and play like jazz, fusiony stuff.

Id like to hear the rest on tha land of grey and pink, the title track is awesome (nasty grumbly grimblies wtf??) i would like the ramsetered version if i can get it though.

Yes, i would highly recommend the remastered version if you plan on getting it on CD...for theres about 5 bonus tracks which are all good to have, and the cd itself is one of my personal favorites...as most know by now. ;)

I have Caravan's first album, its quite good, it reminds me of the piper at the gates of dawn. That psycadelic pop is quite cool, cant' listen to to much of it though, in one sitting.

I learnt to play in the land.... on guitar yesterday its the shiznit.

Yea, the first album is great, but probably the least accesible in their catalog, mainly for being so much more psych and less prog and silly as the later releases. along with LOGAP, i also recommend For Girls who grow plump in the night.

if you are enjoying caravan, i would also check out their related bands...especially National Health....matching mole and hatfield and the north are also fantastic. good luck and enjoy!

hey lord, you haven't told me, is the band's name mournin' or is it night sun?

btw, have you ever heard of linda perhaes? is it 70's prog/folk? i think i got her parallelograms album somewhere, but still haven't checked it out. is it worth?

discouraged1 said:
hey lord, you haven't told me, is the band's name mournin' or is it night sun?

btw, have you ever heard of linda perhaes? is it 70's prog/folk? i think i got her parallelograms album somewhere, but still haven't checked it out. is it worth?
her name is "Linda Perhacs"...her album "Parallelograms" is fantastic...prog folk of the highest order. i couldnt recommend her album enough.

Also check out "Mellow Candle", "Tirill" if you like Linda's work...theyre also great folk prog with female vocals.

I've just in the past two weeks gotten into prog and psych (much based on this thread) and thus far I've got:
Arzachel - s/t
Cactus - s/t
Camel - Moonmadness
Caravan - s/t, ITLOGAP
Fraction - Moon Blood
Pinnacle - Cyborg Assassin
Taste of Blues - Schizofrenia
Van Der Graaf Generator - H to He, Still Life, The Least We Could Do is Wave to Each Other

Does anyone have an opinion on the following bands?
Ancient Grease
Apple
Bohemian Vendetta
Christopher
Hunger
Jody Grind
Khazad Doom
Mystic Siva
Rufus Zuphall
Tomorrow

Thanks

Shadows Skulk said:
I've just in the past two weeks gotten into prog and psych (much based on this thread)

im glad, this thread could do a lot of people good if theyre adventerous and interested enough. maybe the best musical genre to date for musicianship AND accesibility.

a few more band suggestions for those who are interested:

Beggar's Opera - Symphonic Prog with great arrangements from the UK
Frumpy - quality jam progressive rock with a hard edge
Third Ear Band - Classic early 70s psychadelic prog w/a concept on the s/t.
Cirkus - Lush and beautiful symphonic prog with an orchestra, mellotron, etc

discouraged1 said:
lord, is it Night Sun-Mournin
OR Mournin'-Night Sun ??

what's the band and what's the album's name?

The band's name is Night Sun the album is "mournin"

theyre a heavy acid rock band from germany, and maybe the best to do it. heavily influenced by deep purple and other similar acts.

LordHypnos said:
The band's name is Night Sun the album is "mournin"

theyre a heavy acid rock band from germany, and maybe the best to do it. heavily influenced by deep purple and other similar acts.

Do they sound anything like Grobshnitt? I have the solar music side of Balllerman and it sounds like Uriah heep at the start then goes all Psychadelic, does Night Sun sound like that?