rare prog from early 70s

super nintendo chalmers said:
Morte Macabre sounds sweet.
Haven't seen any 70's Italian horrors though. Is Susperia good? I have the Goblin soundtrack and 'tis very good.

It sounds like youre hittin the prog hard lately man...which is great! As for the 70s horrors from italy, i highly recommend them...as you stated "suspiria" is rated one of the best of the genre for sure...a Dario Argento classic...and a killer soundtrack as you also mentioned by the band "goblin". Goblin was a progressive group from the 70s in italy who did some work on their own, but the majority of their contributions to the music realm was for horror movie soundtracks...for as you will see when you listen to them...its what they were best at.

Now here´s something promising which I just came accross thanks to the CD-sampler that came along with the current June-issue of Eclipsed magazine, just go to

http://wobbler.gab.net/music/ , download these two songs and listen for yourself.

Wobbler are obviously a rather new band, but their music reminds me very much of the progressive stuff released in the early 70s (at least what I´ve listened to so far).

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
I also thought id recommend some good prog bands with female vocalists. I know some people may not like these type of bands, and ill be the first to admit that female fronted prog bands arent my favorite, but these 3 are pretty darn good.

1. Renaissance (check out Ashes Are Burning....absolutely fantastic)
2. Mellow Candle (check out swaddling songs..2 female harmonizing vocalists)
3. Affinity (check out their self titled...great blues based prog/psych)

I dont know about the other two, but Ive been listening to Renaissance a lot lately, and they are great. I kind of overlooked them because I didnt like her vocals, but they really fit now. And the guitar playing on some of those tracks is just awesome!

very nice. im glad youre diggen them. A lot of times, people cant get into female vocals in prog, but they can be great depending on the band. Renaissance is certainly one of those. :)

And if they dont like the chick vocals, songs like Kiev (where Im from btw) are very male vocal dominated, and she still adds great backing folk/opera style harmonies, it's just awesome. Do you know where this band is from Land???

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
And if they dont like the chick vocals, songs like Kiev (where Im from btw) are very male vocal dominated, and she still adds great backing folk/opera style harmonies, it's just awesome. Do you know where this band is from Land???

Where renaissance is from? theyre from the UK.

@land of grey and pink:

i need an advice. there are so many bands and so little time to check everything out....
can you recommend some bands to me?

i like Comus and Night Sun very much. I like trippy, crazy stuff.
Cressida is quite ok. HP Lovecraft have some great moments. i liked Ian Carr's Belladonna, jazzy stuff.
I didn't like BWP, Warhorse, Still Life, Lucifer's Friend, Earth+Fire so much.

from the new stuff, I like Katat, Anathema, Opeth (acoustic better than electric), the Gathering and such stuff;Anekdoten are quite cool also.
Help?
thnx
cheerz

Well, if you like crazy and/or trippy stuff heres what i would recommend to you:

Arzachel
Magma
Neu
Hawkwind

Those should be a good starting point in that direction.

As for anything else, since you didnt like still life, warhorse, blackwater park, Lucifer's friend or Earth and Fire, i wont recommend anymore straight forward prog rock unless you want me to...because those are considered some of the better bands of the underground prog material...and so i must assume you just like the crazy stuff instead. Let me know if you need anymore suggestions. enjoy! :)

discouraged1 said:
from the new stuff, I like Katat, Anathema, Opeth (acoustic better than electric), the Gathering and such stuff;Anekdoten are quite cool also.
Help?
thnx
cheerz
I hope you don´t mind me answering without being asked, but as you mentioned The Gathering you might find something you like on some of the albums by The Third And The Mortal (or The 3rd And The Mortal, as they used to spell their name some years ago). They changed their style from album to album, so I think they don´t really fit into any category. You find some sound-samples (unfortunately just about 30 seconds each) from each of their releases on their official website www.mortal.info, if you click on "material" and then on "audio/video". There´s also a full-length video of their song "Magma" from their second full-length album "Painting On Glass" which you can download there. Most other songs on "Painting On Glass" are much "softer" than this song, many of them would perhaps nowadays be labeled as ambient.
(The music on their latest album "Memoirs" was referred to as "Musique Noir" in several reviews I read.) Well, have a listen for yourself (if you don´t already know this band) and maybe somewhere else you will find more than just some short sound-samples, so you can get a better impression of what their music sounds like and find out whether this is something you like or not.

I have everything from The 3rd & the Mortal - actually, Painting On Glass is one of my all-time favorite records :)
the acoustic stuff is great, some of it+the whole atmos is very much David Sylvian at places but still very doom&gloom

what i didn't know is that they made a video clip for magma - i'll try to check it out w/ my shitty connection...........

thanx anyway, the 3rds are always a superb recommendation!

and thnx to the land of pink for recommendations too, but both me and me bro have problems to find any1 here with magma...very hard band to find obviously (italian goblin also)

This is probably my favorite thread I've ever read (and re-read) on the Ultimate Metal forums. I've been slowly getting into prog, and ever since I discovered DC++ last week, I intend to get a lot more into it. I recently listened to Djam Karet, Ozric Tentacles and Yoke Shire and love all 3. Especially Ozric - sounds great on my surround sound!

Land of Grey (or Bizarro LordHypnos), I'm gonna check out a lot of your recommendations now. I'm psyched!

Hi people!

I haven't plugged any obscure shit lately, here's my opportunity!
All the below are pretty rare on original vinyl but most are available on Cd.

Hölderlins traum - Fantastic german band from the early 70´s!
Cactus - One way or another - Super heavy blues rock from 71 with Vanilla fudge members.
Circus 2000 - An escape from a box - Italian doomy prog with chick vox
These trails - Wierd folky dark stuff from Hawaii!
Lucifer's friend - Where the groupies killed the blues - Amazing and super progressive for being 1972. Their first (1970) is a metal masterpiece too!
Museo rosenbach - Zarathustra Dark evil prog from Italy (1973)
Arzachel (1969) - Super echoey dark semi-satanic psych with Steve Hillage from Gong.
Höst - Fantastic prog/heavy rock band from Norway. Mid 70´s.
Mecki mark men - Swedish super psych/drug rock from late 60´s/early 70´s! Did 3 albums.
England - Garden shed - Good technical symph rock in the vein of Yes and Genesis.
Popol vuh - Get everything if you like psychedelic spaced out ambient meditative shit. Their "Nosferatu" Lp is what we use as intro/outro music for our shows.

Happy hunting!
Cheers
Mike

Wow... It's going to take a while to find/hear all that! I'm always interested in discovering new prog. Thanks Mikael.

BTW, I got Caravan's "In the Land..." a few months ago. Good, laid-back jamming. I really enjoy it.

I've recently fallen in love with Anglagard, Can, Anekdoten, Gentle Giant and a few others.