rare prog from early 70s

I was wondering if any one can recommend any prog that sounds similar to bands such as Änglagård or White Willow... Thanks.

Tyrmthaais said:
I was wondering if any one can recommend any prog that sounds similar to bands such as Änglagågard or White Willow... Thanks.
Yes, both are great bands. Some similar bands would be: tudor lodge, fuschia, landberk, ragnarok (swe), Premiata Forneria Marconi and Dancer.

NineFeetUnderground said:
Yes, both are great bands. Some similar bands would be: tudor lodge, fuschia, landberk, ragnarok (swe), Premiata Forneria Marconi and Dancer.

Thank you for your kind suggestions. I'm checking Landberk out as I type this and must say that is a good choice, it is similar but not too similar.
I'm having trouble getting samples of the other bands except for PFM, but I'll keep hunting. Thank you once more. From reading your other posts on this thread I must say I admire your knowledge and dedication to this genre.

Tyrmthaais said:
From reading your other posts on this thread I must say I admire your knowledge and dedication to this genre.
thanks...ive put a lot of time, effort and inevitably: money into the genre, and its my primary musical interest...i love it, and am always happy to see people get into it too.

thanks...ive put a lot of time, effort and inevitably: money into the genre, and its my primary musical interest...i love it, and am always happy to see people get into it too.

It shows... Oh, and I forgot to mention I've enjoyed your suggestions so far...

Syykdom said:
These Trails is the greatest band ever. They rule.

I recently purchased the album. Im pleased...and its unique...i hadnt heard any Hawaiian Progressive music before, so i was looking forward to it. I like the album a lot, but i wouldnt say theyre the greatest band ever. Far from it really, but good and interesting still.

Tyrmthaais have you read the story on the inside of Gentle Giants first album cover, its worth the price of the album haha.

That progradio site is cool, but they do play quite a bit of 80's stuff.

Alternative 3 said:
Tyrmthaais have you read the story on the inside of Gentle Giants first album cover, its worth the price of the album haha.
No, I don't have the album, so I haven't read it. Hopefully some day though...

bump...the only thread worth reading currently...:erk:

just got Bodgers Mate - Brighter Than Usual today...great album...very authentic folk madness...something youd hear in a tavern in hobbiton. haha

bump...the only thread worth reading currently...:erk:

just got Bodgers Mate - Brighter Than Usual today...great album...very authentic folk madness...something youd hear in a tavern in hobbiton. haha
Yeah I guess theres nothin really goin on right now. But that Bodgers Mate I must check out.... as long as its folky... which from the Hobbiton relation it sounds so.

Tyrmthaais said:
Thank you for your kind suggestions. I'm checking Landberk out as I type this and must say that is a good choice, it is similar but not too similar.

Riktigt Akta is my fav. prog. album ever.

Well, I've been listening to Renaissance a lot lately, love their style, it's so much different than a lot of prog bands because of the female vox and all the great orchestration. But one thing I seem to notice is a lot of these damn great bands went all pop in the 80's, which is a real shame, cause they started making those stupid poppy 80's tunes. The only album that I can enjoy from this time is Camel's Harbour of Tears, which I think only emotionally keeps me listening. It doesn't really have anything special to offer musically, but Latimer really put a lot of emotion into all of those songs...and I think it really came out great.

Well, i think more of it had to do with the fact that the world was tired of prog when the 80s rolled around...people wanted to dance and feel good, and everything was excess and instant gratification in the 80s...at least musically...so many bands were forced to adapt, or wanted to adapt, and try something new, which was a more streamlined and pop culture oriented form of music, using all the new technology with drums, synths, guitar effects and so on, to make new music.

But as you know, most of them realized that it was boring and unadventerous, etc...and eventually either came back to prog again...or just quit all together.

You cant expect real musicians to sell their souls forever i guess...and im happy about that.

The funny thing is, the surge of neo prog from the 90s hailing mainly from sweden and a bit from britain, is even better than the old bands that have come back. bands like landberk, paatos, opeth, porcupine tree, anglagard, anekdoten, morte macabre, qoph, dungen, white willow and others....are all showing the old folks how its done...which i think is fantastic.