rare prog from early 70s

theXamenXcorner said:
Now, I've heard things about Cressida from a past thread here, and I'm wondering what albums you would suggest.

well, they only have 2.

both are amazing...but id recommend starting with their first...the "self titled". its a bit more accesible and more pleasing of a listen overall.

their second album "asylum" is more creative and "progressive" id say, but not as pleasing on initial listens.

realizing i'll probably be bludgeoned to death with turntables for saying it, i can't believe nobody's mentioned the mars volta--undeniable prog elements there...de-loused in the comatorium is incredibly good, a truly remarkable concept album and one of my favorites of all time.

cthulufhtagn said:
realizing i'll probably be bludgeoned to death with turntables for saying it, i can't believe nobody's mentioned the mars volta--undeniable prog elements there...de-loused in the comatorium is incredibly good, a truly remarkable concept album and one of my favorites of all time.

wow you are absolutley right. a very positive breeze in todays music industry. hope they´ll keep up the good work.

Achilleslastfairjudgement said:
Yeah,Im not sure whether they have any stuff they didnt do for film,I think my dad may have one record by them just music and not for a movie

they have several non film related works.

one album before they actually became "goblin" called "cherry five" which is a lot like mid era Yes, and is very good. then they had several albums later on under the name goblin which werent film related, also quite good.

cthulufhtagn said:

i know weve mentioned them before in this thread or maybe another thread at least once or twice. you are correct though, a very pleasant progressive tinged suprise from that band, i enjoyed the album a lot...and hope they continue being just as creative in the future.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i know weve mentioned them before in this thread or maybe another thread at least once or twice. you are correct though, a very pleasant progressive tinged suprise from that band, i enjoyed the album a lot...and hope they continue being just as creative in the future.
Ive heard them but they attracted the hardcore emo kids is the reason i strayed from it. =\

Oh and if you ever come back on Mike I do have one cherry five however not vinyl,it has Claudio Simonetti in at as well from goblin and a few other goblin members if im not wrong. ;\

Zombi and Proffondo Rosso

The theme to zombie is awesome.

Also I support who ever said the mars volta are good, there live shows must be great.

I brought ambrosia's first album, the other day, I heard nice nice very nice and thought it was cool, but the rest of the album is ok, it sounds like a boyband in some places.

Alternative 3 said:
The theme to zombie is awesome.

Also I support who ever said the mars volta are good, there live shows must be great.

I brought ambrosia's first album, the other day, I heard nice nice very nice and thought it was cool, but the rest of the album is ok, it sounds like a boyband in some places.
They played the theme of zombi on Shaun of the dead :headbang:

Ive heard them but they attracted the hardcore emo kids is the reason i strayed from it. =\
i understand your concern...for i heard the same things previous, as well as finding out it is comprised of members of "at the drive in" an indie rock/emo band apparently....however image the dark elements of king crimson, the spaciness of pink floyd, and some of the blues energetic guitar chops of steve howe of Yes...with an overall modern touch and a vocalist on par with the best of his generation...and you have the mars volta.

Oh and if you ever come back on Mike I do have one cherry five however not vinyl,it has Claudio Simonetti in at as well from goblin and a few other goblin members if im not wrong. ;\
yes, i stated basically that a few posts back....cherry five was essentially goblin before they changed their name.

dario argento was looking for a band to make the soundtrack to his latest film (soon to become a legendary masterpiece of his art, along with the help of goblins highest selling soundtrack and still considered their best work), when his wife Daria Nicolodi (who starred in many of his and similar films) recommended them to him...and he loved them obviously, and a bond was made which would become a kindred unity of director and musical artist much like alfred hitchcock and bernard herrmann, or sergio leone and ennio morricone.

in any case, they made some great eerie music...very doomy sometimes, and just stimulating in an overall darkened sense. i recommend it to anyone into metal, or rock of any kind.