rare prog from early 70s

after listening to the whole album twice now, i can say im very very pleased with it. Most of the songs are quite long, with several different changes in each, with moods, tempos, and themes twisting in and out....ultimately a very interesting release. Wilson is on top of his game.

deliverance said:
happy b-day dude, i didn't know it was today, you never said anything haha. 23 yrs?

i'll be 20 in ten days.

22...but whos counting? hehe.

i didnt say anything because its not that big of a deal to me. :p

i have new porcupine tree...best b-day present i could have gotten.

mood: happy

--cd update --
I recieved from Century Media my US version of Bloodbath - NMF and my pre-order of SYL - Alien (isn't released till next Tues, fuckerrrrs). They were only 10 bucks a piece, and FREE shipping :headbang: I also got a free poster of each band, and an additional SYL cd booklet signed by the band, haha, sweet fuckin deal.

deliverance said:
mood: happy

--cd update --
I recieved from Century Media my US version of Bloodbath - NMF and my pre-order of SYL - Alien (isn't released till next Tues, fuckerrrrs). They were only 10 bucks a piece, and FREE shipping :headbang: I also got a free poster of each band, and an additional SYL cd booklet signed by the band, haha, sweet fuckin deal.

cool. i personally didnt like the new SYL that much. It was hyped so much, that i had to hear it...but once again was pretty dissapointed by the band. However it certainly was the best material i had heard from them yet, which is not bad either.

I got some new cds recently too.

Bill Frisell - I have the room above her. This is an amazing, emotive and mellow jazz album, with one of my favorite guitarists. if it were a solo album, i might even go as far to say its his "kind of blue".

Folk is not a four letter word - 70s Folk compilation. This is absolutely fantastic. 2 artists out of 16 i had heard of, and most of these are quite good. Some straight acoustic and/or vocals, some pop folk, some psychadelic folk, and some progressive folk. The most notable so far for me, of course Linda Perhacs, Wendy And Bonnie (love them), Scarbrough Fair, Heaven & Earth.

Status Quo - Piledriver. This is absolute meat and potatoes 70s blues rock. Hard rockin, driving, head bobbing goodness. Nothing spectacular, or groundbreaking, but achieves flawlessly what it sets out to do...i like it a lot.

Evoken - Antithesis Of Light. My favorite funeral doom metal band. Their long awaited follow up to their fantastic "Quietus" album. 4 years later...and it is nothing but exceeding my expectations. Dark, heavy, depressing, and hints of well composed melody and emotion....the soundtrack to my funeral.

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing. Guhhhh. Wow. The most progressive release of theirs to date in my opinion. All styles theyve used have been perfectly blended here, and some that have never been done by them before...or at least not in this context. Steven wilson gives his best vocal performance to date, as well as a nice arrangement of longer songs this go around, fused with some shorter more straightforward tunes. Ill be listening to this religiously all year.

I managed to buy Fantasy - "Paint a Picture" on CD in my local store (yes! and they had also their second album), but the guys really love to sell rarities :) My father found there Jon Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillow" after 15 years of searching it worldwide

And back to the topic - have anyone of you heared great Polish progband called SBB?

Abhorsen said:
The Room Above Her is a nice record. What amazes me is the playing of drummer Paul Motion. Dude is well into his seventies.

oh wow. im not terribly familiar with the other musicians on that record, only Bill. Thats interesting to hear about the drummer...im even more impressed with what i already thought was an amazing performance.

Minder said:
I managed to buy Fantasy - "Paint a Picture" on CD in my local store (yes! and they had also their second album), but the guys really love to sell rarities :) My father found there Jon Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillow" after 15 years of searching it worldwide

And back to the topic - have anyone of you heared great Polish progband called SBB?

Great album.

As for your dad....i cant beleive it took that long to find Olias Of Sunhillow. On CD OR LP, it should be quite easy to find. I know of 2 record stores locally which have copies on vinyl for $7.00 and any major record store probably has it on cd.

Yesterday I bought Birth Control´s "Hoodoo Man" in a record store (well, it was the only B.C. album available there) and, as I expected, I do like it! What strikes me as odd, though, is that the beginning of "Gamma Ray" (the part which starts after about 15 seconds) somehow reminds me of that terrible pop-song "Macarena" :loco: . Maybe, it´s just the similar rhythm pattern. However, I do like "Gamma Ray" as well as the other songs. Lots of organ playing (even a bit of church organ on the title track) and long instrumental passages.

I don´t know if they have already been mentioned before (haven´t checked through all the posts in this thread again), but even though they are not from the 70s, Mr. Quimby´s Beard might not be completely off-topic in this thread. They play some kind of space/psychedelic rock and there are several mp3s on their official website.

all of you into progrock might want to check into 'the amber light'. they are a young german band who released a album and two EPs. they are quite good and the best young band from germany i heard in quite a time...

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
all of you into progrock might want to check into 'the amber light'. they are a young german band who released a album and two EPs. they are quite good and the best young band from germany i heard in quite a time...

havent heard them. ill check them out!