rare prog from early 70s

Lately I have been into this french rock band Harmonium who I think is really good. They have a great folky sound, but with all of the great keyboards and synths of progressive music.

Also, anyone here into Tangerine Dream? I just picked up Force Majeure and Ricochet on vynil, and I've been listening to them nonstop. I especially love the additions of 12-string guitars to their electronica madness.

And Im getting into Gaupo, their albums Five Suns and Black Oni, which are awesomely dark, I love it.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Lately I have been into this french rock band Harmonium who I think is really good. They have a great folky sound, but with all of the great keyboards and synths of progressive music.

Also, anyone here into Tangerine Dream? I just picked up Force Majeure and Ricochet on vynil, and I've been listening to them nonstop. I especially love the additions of 12-string guitars to their electronica madness.

And Im getting into Gaupo, their albums Five Suns and Black Oni, which are awesomely dark, I love it.

i went to tangerine dream's site a while back, and listened to all the songs they had available, to play in the backround, while browsing, and i really liked what i heard. but then i dl'ed a full length, and i might have gotten the wrong one, cause i wasn't too impressed. so i basically put them on the back burner. i'll definetly check out those 2 albums though, sounds good.

deliverance said:
i went to tangerine dream's site a while back, and listened to all the songs they had available, to play in the backround, while browsing, and i really liked what i heard. but then i dl'ed a full length, and i might have gotten the wrong one, cause i wasn't too impressed. so i basically put them on the back burner. i'll definetly check out those 2 albums though, sounds good.

tangerine dream is a hit and miss band for me. some albums are awesome..and others certainly fall short of what id even call slightly entertaining. just depends. a good crash course in tangerine dream would be the soundtrack to the movie "legend"...the tom cruise/tim curry fantasy from the 80s. jon anderson actually does guest vocals on the ending theme song called "loved by the sun"...which is a fantastic song...very fitting. be careful though, theres 2 versions of the legend soundtrack...one by tangerine dream, and one done by jerry goldsmith. both are good, but you dont want to hear the wrong one. ;)

Have you guys listened the band called univer's zero. I've listened couple of their releases lately and same time amazed. There's one hell of a gloomy band :)
Iam very impressed their ability to really creep me. Works when you're tired in bed and wanna consentrate on good music.

inaeturnum said:
Have you guys listened the band called univer's zero. I've listened couple of their releases lately and same time amazed. There's one hell of a gloomy band :)
Iam very impressed their ability to really creep me. Works when you're tired in bed and wanna consentrate on good music.

univers zero was a great belgian band starting out in the late 70s. did some great and NEW creative and artistic progressive rock, with a sound very much their own. i own several of their releases...and recommend the band to everyone as well.

inaeturnum said:
Yeah I have an album of theirs downloaded... and I agree it's pretty creepy stuff, I often get images of walking around in pure darkness when I listen to them.

NineFeetUnderground said:
univers zero was a great belgian band starting out in the late 70s. did some great and NEW creative and artistic progressive rock, with a sound very much their own. i own several of their releases...and recommend the band to everyone as well.

Which ones are the best? I have ceux du dehors and heresie. They're pretty good but i have't gotten time to get more yet. I think i've heard that ceux du dehors is their most respected release..

inaeturnum said:
Which ones are the best? I have ceux du dehors and heresie. They're pretty good but i have't gotten time to get more yet. I think i've heard that ceux du dehors is their most respected release..

i have the first 3. i cant say which album of theirs is the "best" necessarily since i havent heard the others. but from my understanding and word of mouth, theyre all good.

Force Majeure is probably my favorite Tangerine Dream record, followed closely by Phaedra and Logos. Legend, as Joey points out, is also excellent, but for me many of their later 1980's records on Private Music, a label started by longtime member Peter Baumann, really suck balls. Way too poppy, stuff that a radio station in LA called the Wave used to play back then, passing it off as smooth jazz or something like that. Ugh. Since then I haven't listened to much of their stuff. Are they still making music? I think Edgar Froese is probably the lone surviving original member in the band.

If you like the Dream, be sure to check out Mirage by founding member and longtime solo artist Klaus Schulze. It's been re-released in the US by Inside Out and is extremely tasty electronic music. Proggy and very wintery.

Cool, will check out Mirage for sure!

Today I picked up Stratosfear by them, and I must say, I like it quite a bit, much more melodic than the other two.

Also, about the Legend soundtrack, Im kicking myself in the foot right now for not picking that up, I saw it on vynil today and I really want to see the movie, and thought that this soundtrack might be a fluke and didn't get it.

Also, on a side note, I picked up a British import Gatefold "Foxtrot" by Genesis which is awesome.

Do Univers Zero sound anything like Guapo?! That kind of dark Zeuhl sound at all?

Hey,

Long time... It's been awhile.

Has anyone heard the Granicus record? I was going to buy it, but it's 1) expensive and 2) seems to have middle-of-the-road reviews.

NP: Opeth "Ghost Reveries" :)

You're welcome. I've actually been giving the first three Amon Duul II records a spin today and they are all excellent, though Dance of the Lemmings is the best. Pound for pound a better record than Arzachel I think and I dig Hillage.