Rate a recording i did today! (DFHS, Pod XT Etc etc, usual pish!)

-Gavin-

Gavornator
Jul 21, 2003
Oulu, Finland
Hey guys,
I did this today after experimenting making a kick sample by blending the Sneap and the Vinnie Paul kicks, processing with some EQ from Kjærhus Golden EQ.
I layered 2 tracks with the kick when making the sample, one heavily reverbed, blended in about 10% underneath the unverbed one to get some ambience about the kick but not overpowering it. I can post the sample if anyone likes it!

The actual recording is part of an Amorphis song, Black Winter Day.

I did 4 tracks of pod XT, I used my 2 patches using my big bottom patch and having an on and an off axis track in each speaker.
Bass was EW-Hardcore bass
Drums are DKFH superior
Orchestral is EW-Symphonic orchestra gold!

Guitar was my Jackson KV2 with SD invader bridge pickup.

Right, any comments be they good or bad, let me know!

www.celtiaproductions.co.uk/misc/recordings/gavinharperblackwinterday.mp3

Got it working now, the server must have been slightly on the fritz when I tried earlier. The kick sounds great, nice and clear yet punchy as well. I really like the bass tone as well, it seems really present without drowning out the rest of the mix. Any EQing tips or anything for that?

Cheers bro!

Right, the bass was fairly simple.

I ran EW hardcore bass "Music man hi-fi hardcore 1" patch into the Bass amp on Guitar rig and just EQ'd there to taste. I did no external EQing outside guitar rig.

Sorry to go off topic, but I love the video for that song... Makes me laugh everytime I see it.... So cheesy

Something about the snare bothers me a bit. I think there's a touch too much "space" to the sound, might sound better if it was more pronounced.

Edit: You really nailed the guitar tone for this song though. Great job.