Rate the New Tracks

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
I have been listening to the new tracks a heap, and would be curious to know other people's faves??? Mine in order would be:

1. What Doesn't Die - reminds me of the reason I think many of us got into Anthrax in the first place - speed riffs, manic leads, machine gun drums from Charlie, thrash w Bush singing.

2. Refuse to be Denied - a perfect metal song, even without a lead. The 'mosh part' kills.

3. Safe Home - perfect balance between metal and 'ballad' (although its no-where near being a ballad I know). Radio must get a hold of this. BTW If that is Charlie playing the solo he is a God - surely its Rob ??!!

4. Think About an End (to what???) Love the Pantera style riff midway and the Maiden-esqe twin solos. Fuck yeah. Bush rules on this too.

5. Taking the Music Back - again very cool, but my least fave of those I've heard so far. Frank's bass is back, sounds almost as good and strong as POT. Is that crowd noises I hear during the middle ??

I've only heard Superhero live so far, so wont rate it yet, but it again sounds killer.

Bring on WCFYA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't done the "my 2 cents on the promo" yet, so I might as well start with this thread.

What Doesn't Die - I pretty much agree with the sentiment around here, it's fast and it kicks ass. Bush meets Among the Living! Though I have been reading people's comments about the production needing a little tweaking, and I agree. It's brutal, but it could use a little extra "oomph" to make it that much better and heavier.

Refuse to be Denied - I had to listen to it a few times and it started to grow on me. I catch myself singing the chorus a lot.

Safe Home - I think this is the best heavy ballad (if you want to call it that) Anthrax has ever done. It beats Black Lodge, Bare, Harm's Way etc. in my opinion. Probably my favorite song at the moment.

Think About An End - I was listening to What Doesnt Die and Safe Home so much that I didnt give this much of a chance at first, but the more I listened to it the more I liked it. Now I love it just as much as those two. Total agreement on the breakdown at the middle, it makes the song for me.

Taking the Music Back - I tried to like this, honestly, but it's just not clicking with me. It just doesn't sound like an Anthrax song. When I heard the comments about it being Motley-esque, I thought to myself "Dear God they're right". A lot of people are banking on this being the "radio-friendly" song, but I would rather that honor go to Safe Home or Think About An End.

Superhero - I was able to get a pretty good KNAC rip of it and I love this song too. Heavy groove and great chorus. The end reminds me a lot of "Five Minutes Alone" by Pantera.

What Doesn't Die - Fucking killer. Heavy Heavy Heavy. Lots of double bass. My favorite part of the song is at the end when Charlie is doing the doublebass underneath the chorus until the end of the song. That's so killer.

Safe Home - great heavy ballad. I really don't know if it should be a single or not though....something tells me it wouldn't be successful (even though it's an amazing tune)....

Taking The Music Back - I really dig the tune, but I agree, it is the worst on the promo (but still kick ass!)...I also hear crowd noise through most of the song? Is that a white noise sounding effect on the guitar, or did they really mix crowd noise in for the hell of it?!

Think About An End - I can't decide which I like better, this or What Doesn't Die. Love the Maidenish double harmonizing in the middle, VERY catchy chorus, really heavy riff.

Refuse To Be Denied - Great fucking song! Love the drumming at the "moshing part"...the riff reminds me of Perry Mason for some reason......great great lyrics, love the acoustic shit at the beginning and middle too.

Superhero - Heavy, brutal, catchy. This should DEFINATLY be the first radio single. It's too good not to make a single. Charlie's drum fills are fucking killer...if someone from the band or record label are reading this....SUPERHERO FOR FIRST U.S. SINGLE!

Nobody Knows Anything (only heard the live bootleg)....great song, more killer drumming, possibly better than What Doesn't Die in the drumming department. The song seems kinda repetitive, and I'll wait till I hear the studio version for full judgement (but it's fucking amazing as well)....

here is my 2 cents worth.

what doesnt die-classic thrax looks like charlie has found his way with the drums again,great riffs ahhhhh fuck it is anthrax where talking about hehehe

safe home-well this one is def a suprise fave for me,took me a few listens but i cant stop playing it,could be compared to catharsis but safe home totally rapes that song

taking the music back-cool song but it aint nothing special,if this is anthrax's so called arena rock style song they did a great job on it,and franks bass sure does sound killer

think about an end-what can i say more killer riffs,another killer tune that took a couple listens to get into

refuse-i was pleasantly surprised with this song as i didnt know what to expect from anthrax after 4-5 years,one of my fave anthrax songs now

superhero-heard it on knac once,not sure if it was the quality on the radiobut johns vioce seems to have some sort of effect on it???,coulda been called insideout part 2 heheh

nobody knows anything-well i heard the bootleg and i wont make a judgement as the quality doesnt do anything for the song,it is supposed to be one of the heavier tracks on the record and the live version shows no sign of this

final summary-well all in all i am stoked about the sound they have got on this record,stoked about johns voice def his best by far lotsa grunt,solos i have heard so far so fucking awesome,to me its already kicked volume by a country mile,straight forward metal/rock album(so far)which is pleasing cause they did experiment on volume 8 or were they just trying too hard!!!

i wanted a stomp style album and i think my wish has been granted

now hurry up and get to australia god damn it!!!

Hmm...
What Doesn't Die - didn't really dig it at first listen, but at the second... killer song, probably the most ass kicking, mostly the vocal and the double bass.

Safe Home - great modern melodic rock song. As I have said before, if this one doesn't get airplay there's something wrong with the world today. My most favourite chorus and guitar solo (I still believe it's Charlie)

Taking The Music Back - I might be strange, but this one is probably my most fave song off the promo. It rocks like hell, the chorus and the middle part are amazing.

Refuse To Be Denied - I hear Ozzy influence here, don't really know why, mixed with classical Volume 8 song.

Think About An End - very good one. Very heavy, very Anthrax, grows with every listen

Superhero - heard live, don't know the studio version, very ass-kicking groovy song, bit like Inside Out.