*Raw files* In-your-face Brutal Death Metal ala Hate Eternal, Krisiun, Angel Corpse

Adversor

Oct 1, 2012
Laredo, TX, USA
www.facebook.com
Forgotten project of a friend of mine recorded in November of 2013 in my studio here in Laredo, Texas. I was pleasantly surprised when I recently re-discovered this in my hard disk. I remember being literally 2 days in the studio producing and recording this long-ass song enjoying every single minute of the experience. After that, the drum programming took place in which I spent an additional 3-4 days of intermittent work. Also a rather energizing involvement taking advantage of my vicious mood at the time :heh:

I'd love to hear what you guys can come up with. On the reference track below (around 11:18) I used Soundtoys Crystallizer plus a Lexicon Random Hall verb providing a rather profound tone which I dig very much. Please follow the track and use that specific sound as a reference for the overall sonic character of the lead guitar.

For the drums I used Slate 3.5 with a tempo of 120BPM. Please adjust the velocities to taste to avoid the robotic pounding specially on the blast beats which is basically what the song consists of, duh! :lol:

Shitty reference track:
https://www.copy.com/s/qW3IqGiGWy3B/Arkheios Reference Track.mp3

Raw files:
https://copy.com/TguZnxx79yjA

As always, enjoy the experience and don't forget to post your results!

Waldo.

Decided to start re-amping this at the end of a studio session......before I realised it's 15 minutes long :-O
Will have ago during the week.
I think triple rectifier will be perfect for this.

Who makes songs this long, so fast and brutal?..., gave it a quick shot tho.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1283560/Arkheios.mp3

That sounds cool, man. Is it just me or I am hearing bass drops? By the way, I'd swap those hihats for something more open sounding and also I'd fade out that lead guitar at the end :D

Thanks for giving this track a shot. I really appreciate you taking the time to work on this :kickass:

That sounds cool, man. Is it just me or I am hearing bass drops? By the way, I'd swap those hihats for something more open sounding and also I'd fade out that lead guitar at the end :D

Thanks for giving this track a shot. I really appreciate you taking the time to work on this :kickass:

That bass drop, it think it are just the toms. Didn't add anything to it tho.

Updated mine a little bit, same name/link. Slightly brighter and slightly less metallic cymbals.

Finished early in the studio today so decided to do this track.
Superb job on the drums. Must have taken ages.
Rectifier couldn't keep up so used 6505>Recto Cab.
https://copy.com/wYA7rRx0MjjudbGV

Excellent job at everything, really! You can't go wrong with the 6505 :D Just one question, is it just me or the bass sound abruptly changes at 12:59 and forward? I swear I can't hear that scratchy effect anywhere before that.

Excellent job at everything, really! You can't go wrong with the 6505 :D Just one question, is it just me or the bass sound abruptly changes at 12:59 and forward? I swear I can't hear that scratchy effect anywhere before that.

Drive (sans amp) is always on bass. You are noticing it when the bass plays the bit on its own.
Needed to drive the mids to get the bass to cut and not blur the low mids on the whole mix.

I used different overdrives left and right (ts808 and MXR badass od) to pull the guitars wide and leave the centre open for kick, snare, bass and vocals.
The hardest thing with a fast heavy mix like this is to get clarity without sounding thin. Requires a lot of control of the low mids. My Focal Twin monitors are fantastic In the low mids.

I am not going to bounce again without the bass OD because it needs it. Without the drive, the bass was a low mid blur.

Drive (sans amp) is always on bass. You are noticing it when the bass plays the bit on its own.
Needed to drive the mids to get the bass to cut and not blur the low mids on the whole mix.

I used different overdrives left and right (ts808 and MXR badass od) to pull the guitars wide and leave the centre open for kick, snare, bass and vocals.
The hardest thing with a fast heavy mix like this is to get clarity without sounding thin. Requires a lot of control of the low mids. My Focal Twin monitors are fantastic In the low mids.

I am not going to bounce again without the bass OD because it needs it. Without the drive, the bass was a low mid blur.

Thanks for all the detailed info and for the excellent mix, Mick! You clearly know your stuff. I really appreciate all your time invested :headbang: