Re-amping Jobs

binting

bannedatthefirstpost
Feb 22, 2012
Do you think there is still a future for this kind of buisness? With so many competition. And no way to prove yourself is it possible to enter this kind of buisness?

I'm pretty sure it will die out, when stuff like Axe-FX and Kemper is getting more and more popular. There will probably be cheaper alternatives in the future that will sound just as good or better also. So people wont have the need for reamping.

It seems to be a dying industry. Unfortunately for me, just as my amp collection became complete. Compromise in general is becoming more prolific in the industry as people begin to face the prospect of making no profit from music, so we've gone from deteriorating guitar tones by reamping in the first place, to now using emulations of amps, to whatever will pop up in the future as the easy alternative. Analogue gear in general, whether it be amps or otherwise appears to be dying. I take solace in the fact that in those rare instances where a band actually want to record an entire record with me, I'm still able to plug the guitarist into an actual mic'ed up tube amp, and for at least a few weeks avoid thinking about what's become of the recording industry.

I think that's a very metal centered point of view. Metal bands are generally more prone to embrace technology for better or worse. On the other hand, I can't think of a band I've worked with that wouldn't laugh in my face if I suggested anything other than a real toob amp.
Now if the question is "can you survive doing only reamping?", the answer is probably not.

I'm just curious from the guys who own a Kemper, How accurate or close to the original sound does it get? I mean I've watched youtube videos but actually being in front of one...how close is it?

Kemper sounds the same as a mic'ed cab but compared to infront of an amp there is that feeling of connetion between you and your ampsound

You also have to think that re-amping by itself is a pretty small part of the business for recording engineers.

At some point or another most people serious about producing metal bands will start to work with his own amps and learn how to mic them up, and at some point wouldn't want to rely on outsourcing that part anymore, also to contribute more to their "own" sound.
So the way I see it most of the time reamping for other engineers is more or less of a temporary realation anyway.

For reamping for bands producing themselves, no idea. Also no idea how many people have to rely on it because they can't crank a cab somewhere.

And with the kemper it seems that having rare amps also isn't that much of a selling point anymore.

So I guess relying on reamping only is pretty though to live on. You'd have to have a really signature sound to your tone and have a lot of rare and exotic stuff around.

RE Kemper playing feel:

Of course it doesn't feel the same to play the kemper through studio monitors compared to sitting next to a 4x12.
But playing in the control room through the kemper vs playing through the mic the real amp goes through feels pretty much the same.

I'm just curious from the guys who own a Kemper, How accurate or close to the original sound does it get? I mean I've watched youtube videos but actually being in front of one...how close is it?

spent some time with a Kemper for the first time a week or two ago with some custom profiles done in the same studio of a Soldano, Vox, and Balls amps. I couldn't believe how much ass it kicked and how good it actually felt and responded. Millions of times better than I expected.