Re-found treasure? [Hated CD's now loved]

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
Has anyone gone through their CD collection, only to pick up a discthat you bought awhile ago, and didn't like, only to listen to it again, and find it's amazing, and you can't understand what you didn't like about it before?

I bought Witchery long ago because Larry used to rave about them, and make the silly ass "W" sign all the time in photos (like he was in the band), and when I listened to it I didn't like it at all. Well, I picked it up again yesterday, and gave it another shot, and you know what.... I still don't like it. hahahah!

He tried that shit with me on Paradise Lost, Shades of God. The music on that CD is great, but his "Hetfield" style vocals really turned me away from that CD. I tried it again after Larry talked about it, and you know what.... I still don't like it! hahaha!

It has happened a few times though, where I didn't like something, only later to find I love it. My perfect example is Entombed. I hated the new direction, and will always praise Left Hand Path, but I have to admit, I now love the new material.

What's your lost treasure?

Clutch- Clutch
Clutch- Elephant Riders

I bought both of these years ago (1998). I thought they were OK at the time, but not good enough to keep, so I sold them or traded them. A few months ago, I bought them again, along with Clutch's "Pure Rock Fury" and I love all of them, but the self titled album will always be #1 for me.

Bal Sagoth.............

I bought the first three cds because John Chedsey raved about them on his site. Thought it was overblown black metal cheese. While preparing a review for their second release "Starfire" I gave them all dedicated listen and found I enjoyed them for the most part.

Love History albums were also like this. I hated them at first, now I listen to them all the time.

I had that happen to me with alot of albums. Voivod's 'Angel Rat' seemed atrocious to me when I first heard it. A year later I put it on again and now I love that album more than almost all of their others. I remember my buddies and I wanting to kill ourselves when we first heard Entombed's "Wolverine Blues" and Carcass' "Heartwork" but then a while later I put them on again and likewise, I now think of them as my near favorites.
And I still stand by Witchery and Paradise Lost "Shades of God". And I still do the "W", fuck y'all.

I think that has happened to most people...domestically speaking, I was like that with Pantera. I hated, HATED "Cowboys From Hell" when I first heard it. I would turn the TV off when I saw the video:lol: Then a couple years later I came to my senses. Those who know me know that Pantera is one of my favorite U.S. bands...I don't wanna hear any crap from anyone either!:p

Let's see, I had gotten an Old Man's Child cd a couple years ago, just because someone told me to get it (I do that a lot...just take someone's advice and pick something up). Not only did I think the name of the band was, well, GAY, but I put that thing on and I was like, man, what the hell is this crap! Again, I listened to it a year later and I was like, wow, this shit makes me feel evil, hehehe. Now, when I am in one of those moods, I put that one on in the car and just make little evil faces at passing cars:devil:

Originally posted by ShadowLioness
I think that has happened to most people...domestically speaking, I was like that with Pantera. I hated, HATED "Cowboys From Hell" when I first heard it. I would turn the TV off when I saw the video:lol: Then a couple years later I came to my senses. Those who know me know that Pantera is one of my favorite U.S. bands...I don't wanna hear any crap from anyone either!:p

I still can't stand them. And it's been like 10 years. :p

I can't think of an album or band off the top of my head where this is currently happening, but I think it's rather commonplace. Oftentimes, the music that takes many, many listens to get into is that much more rewarding and thus becomes a stronger album down the road.