Reamp Request

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I'm here appealing to the better nature of the forumers. I'm currently evaluating my home rig for potential DI/Reamp recording. I've recorded 2 very rough tracks (I'm so out of practice) and it would really really help me out if any of you with a decent re-amp rig (amps like Fireball, Rectifier, Powerball, 5150 or whatnot) could please take the time out and run these short 2 tracks for me and put down what your mic is picking up.

It would really help with a project I'm currently doing, where the band have repeatedly been screwed over by studios. I need to know that if I were to record the guitars here, that when we re-amp that they wouldn't be 2-dimensional puddles of piss so to speak.

If anyone can take the time out to help, that'd be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

The files are:

http://www.ermin.com.au/storage/Audio 01_23.wav

http://www.ermin.com.au/storage/Copy of Audio 01_01.wav

They are meant to be run in unison, panned hard left and right, just to see how well guitars tracked here can drive a high-gain amp.

Thank you.

Here's two flavours:
clip 1
clip 2

They're 2 completely different amps, but remarkably similar tones (see the "It's how you play it!" thread.) Just slightly different gain structures. But yeah, I think what you have will work. It's pretty well played stuff, which really counts more than anything. Just watch the riff as you're coming out of those unison bends. You should mute before you go to the next note instead of letting the release of the bend thru. That's what I thought anyway. :)

-0z-

holy crap OzNimbus sound like hell..

but i still dont get it whats the point of need for reamp if you could record with " real " dist...

i can get it... i prefeer the " natural " dist of a tube amp..

Hey Oz,

Thanks so much man. You've helped me out more than you know.

Cheers for the playing advice too, but believe it or not, I know what you're saying... its just that I recorded that riff as I was looking at the powertab to learn it, and I had to get it done in like a minute. Plus I haven't properly played or recorded guitar in many months. Sort of contributes to the very sloppy vibe.

I'm actually very happy with how those tracks came out, considering what I just ran my guitar through (Hellraiser, I'm sure you could pick it by the tone though, hehe).

I'm actually going to test out a different DI chain, which I assume will be better. I know that I ask for too much already... but I don't suppose you would be able to reamp another set of tracks for me?

I'm probably going to do 1 or 2 riffs, along with EzDrummer, then do a quick mix just to see the potential in a final mix.

Once again, thanks Oz, you've helped me out so much.

PS. Don't suppose we can get the names of the two amps that were used... or is that to remain a mystery? :). My guess is that the second was a 5150!

holy crap OzNimbus sound like hell..

but i still dont get it whats the point of need for reamp if you could record with " real " dist...

I believe Moon's issue is he doesn't have a 'real' amp to record with, nor cab, mics or preamps either. That's my guess, anyway.

I've got a whole whack of gear that I've been building up over the years to choose from, and enough experience fucking around with mic placement, preamp choice, etc, etc, that I can do it quickly & efficiently.

-0z-

Well, reamping isn't that unnatural, you're just passing thru an amp something you did play.
And suppose you've been recording 3/4 of your album/project/whatever, then you realise your tone isn't THAT great, that's the point of reamping...

I believe Moon's issue is he doesn't have a 'real' amp to record with, nor cab, mics or preamps either. That's my guess, anyway.

For the initial recording of the rhythm guitars for the session we had available to us a:

Triple Rectifier Head
Peavey JSX
Peavey 6505+
Marshall JCM800
ENGL Powerball

Marshall 1960A cab x 2
Framus Dragon cab

Various guitars, and a Neve console.

The Neve console went to the shitter halfway through our recording, rendering all our rhythm tracks useless as the tone changed immensely.

Don't want that to happen again. I want to have all the takes here, done on my own system, which I know to be reliable. Various backups, and just book in studio time when it comes time to get a tone going.

Oh goddamn. Even Andy got to see me butcher one of the best riffs on This Godless Endeavor. *note to self: next time, don't rush*

Oz, being the nice dude he is, just reamped a second set of tracks for me. I figure, being this forum and all, I'd put up the rough mix with EZD both with GuitarSuite and with Oz's reamped tracks.

http://www.ermin.com.au/storage/brave-hell-gsuite.mp3

http://www.ermin.com.au/storage/brave-hell-oz.mp3

PS. Oz's guitar tracks got mp3 compressed twice, so they do sound better than that!

Fucking hell! A double mp3 encode & they still turned out halfway decent! Not nearly as nice as the original .wav though!

Here's the original mp3 I sent him if anyone wants to check it out:

clip

-0z-

That's a nice tone there!!! Care to share what amp/cab, assuming 2 X SM57 ala fredman, Interface (or pre?), EQ, etc... I like details, and I need all the help and pointers I can get.:heh:

Cheers.:kickass: