Reamping 101

Ola Englund

Only gay in the village
Dec 1, 2001
Stockholm, Sweden
www.olaenglund.com
I know a lot of the people here probably already know what re-amping is all about BUT for the people that still hasn't gotten a grip of what it is and what you're actually doing, I made this video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm46WaRUkFw&list=PL5323002DC14308B9&index=10[/ame]

Not new to reamping but I always love to watch your videos Ola! How accurately does the Reload match the volume of the reamped DI signal to plugging in straight to the amp? Any chance you could upload a short clip of the direct amp signal?

Gött mos, du!
You've reamped tons of times more than I have, so I wonder if you use anything to align the reamp:ed track with the original DI-track?
Like an IR or drumsample, something like that, so the guitar isn't slightly after, and in case you need to reamp it again or add another amp, etc.

Just use a click impulse. The stock Pro Tools click works great. Can align them down to the sample.

Good tip, I thought about using a Dirac(?) one, at several volumes to make sure it aligns perfectly and without being masked by the distortion..

Set up a click track and route it to a new channel. Record one of the clicks on that new channel. Chop the audio region up so it starts at the same point as the click. Save that region as an audio file (you'll want it for future sessions).

Simply import that audio track at the start of any DI you reamp, and then manually align the tracks after reamping. It will be very easy to see where.

Set up a click track and route it to a new channel. Record one of the clicks on that new channel. Chop the audio region up so it starts at the same point as the click. Save that region as an audio file (you'll want it for future sessions).

Simply import that audio track at the start of any DI you reamp, and then manually align the tracks after reamping. It will be very easy to see where.

I don't have issues with audio latency right now but I have struggled with this in the past, that's a great idea Ermz!

I don't have issues with audio latency right now but I have struggled with this in the past

How many milliseconds of latency until you have issues?

Right now with my Steinberg UR28M set at 64 samples buffer size, I have 4.3 msec input latency and 5.3 msec output latency. Is this good? Will a click impulse be needed?

Got it. I do this too. When you said use a "click impulse" I thought there was some sort of mystical impulse that I'd never heard of.

My tips:

1. Basically the same as what Emz said but I don't export any tracks - in Pro Tools, setup a click track, you're going to do this anyway, then send it to a new track. Record a few seconds. The output sound be on the grid if its not then you've got a problem. I then copy a few clicks to each track that's going top go the outboard gear that's got latency. If it's all analogue you should be okay. I use spdif to my Kemper and there's a small delay.

2. If your DAW has hardware delay compensation: Record the above mentioned click through the outboard device and workout what the delay is. You can then add this to to you I/O setting if you're DAW has it. This is the best because you never have to adjust your tracks. I also workout the delay in samples then convert it to milliseconds, I've found this to be more accurate than trying do it in milliseconds because a sample is the smallest selectable part in your DAW and often the delay is not to the exact millisecond.

For example, I recently calculated the delay of an outboard processor to be 9ms because Pro Tools would only allow me to select whole milliseconds. After switching to samples it turns out that the delay was in fact 9.2ms. I put this into the hardware delay compensation settings in the Pro Tools i/o for that send and the result was sample perfect delay compensation.

Sample rate/1000 = samples per millisecond so at 44.1k sample rate 1ms = 44.1 samples. If you workout your delay is 406 samples just divide that by 44.1 and you'll get the result in milliseconds, in this case 9.2

3. If you have a Kemper amp make sure you turn on the "Constant Latency" setting found in the "Master" output settings. Without this on you will probably end up crying.

Don't trust your DAWs latency compensation for recording. I align my reamps after the fact using a high-transient signal at the beginning of the DI track, kind of like what Ermz said. It's usually 3 or 4 milliseconds off for me. This also means ALL of your overdubs are off by that amount. The choice is yours if you want to worry about that.

I know a lot of the people here probably already know what re-amping is all about BUT for the people that still hasn't gotten a grip of what it is and what you're actually doing, I made this video.

[ame][/ame]

Hey Ola, Im new to reamping and i have a quick question. the majority of my track sounds good when i am reamping, i am coming out of the daw at -6db at the peaks, but theres points in the song where it is -15 or -20 db, and it tends to sounds really weak through the reamping phase. is there a way to fix this?

can anybody help me out here?