Reaper and mac issues?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
I might buy myself a long awaited macbook pro 15" but I just got heavily into reaper and i love it. I keep reading that there are alot of issues, alot of freeware plugs dont work properly etc. Anyone have anything to comment on this?

Only problems I have with Reaper and plugins are:

Both VST and AU versions of Autotune EVO and 7 Demos (AU crashes Reaper when inserting a Waves plugin after, VST has no vertical scroll line so you can't see what blobs are playing)
Podfarm 1 graphics are misaligned.
My iLok2 keeps disappearing requiring a restart.

I don't use many free plugins that aren't from bigger companies. Flux, BX Digital, Valhalla DSP and many others work.

I'm running Reaper on a late 2011 MBP 17in, almost exclusively vst (but you have to use the mac ones) and it's very stable.

It only crashes when I forget to plug my ilok if the session needs one, it freezes there, I think it's because the waves authorisation window when the vsts are loaded appear behind the reaper window so I can't access it and need to force quit reaper, plug it, and start again... No big deal since reaper is a pretty clean installation anyway.

Otherwise, absolutely flawless in my experience with only vsts, and using legit quite well known plug ins from big companies, plus occasional freebies that are mac compatible.

If you switch you basically have to think again about your vst options, from scratch, if you were using a lot of vst freebies from here and there.

My boss has reaper on his macbook pro (2009 model i believe). And he swears by it. I'm not too sure on which plugs he uses but I know he doesnt really use the stock ones.