Reasonable double kick speeds

Dude .... whatever sounds good for the tune / parts without killing the groove. Try to be aware of what a vocalist will be doing

+1 I completely agree with this, though... if anything over 250 is what feels right, he'd have a hard fucking time finding a drummer that can play it :D especially one that isn't already in a band, haha..

EDIT: Though of course... he could just go 8th notes, or triplets, or something on the kick if it's above 250..

Thanks for the opinions. I was hoping to write for 180 at a bare minimum. I don't think that's too much to ask. I'd love to go higher, but I don't have a lot of faith in finding a really good drummer in my area.

what most of them are trying to play: 220-250bpm 16th notes
what most of them can actually play cleanly: 190-200bpm MAX.

george kollias, derek roddy etc manage to play up to 260bpm 16th notes, but that's way beyond what most drummers can pull off.
i'd say a decent drummer that has his shit together can play 230bpm 16th notes at times, and can solidly hit 220bpm for extended periods.

You are dead on! Well said.

...and that's NOT triggered, I read in an interview that album is all acoustic drums...just LOTS of compression/limiting and EQ

Was that possibly a compressor that also does sound replacement automatically? :D

That's replaced. What they supposedly said in that interview about the sound being acousting and shit can still hold true. They probably triggered the kick with another kick... an acoustic kick. Ahaaaaa, smart yes? :) Non acoustic drums... I wonder if any band would use such things in metal. Like, what, 808 kicks and shit?

..I started to get pretty frustrated and did a check on his beater, fucking kid had it backwards ...

I use the plastic side of my beater. it's perfectly normal.

I prefer the feel, as you feel kinda more connected to the head as you're playing. however, i'd never do it without a kevlar falam slap patch or something

300bpm if the drummers a tech death freak, 200 for mere mortals. Pretty much the same for alternate picking guitarists.

Shawn Lane was (and even after his death, still is) the fastest alternate picker ever. Well people have played "faster" but as far as I know, no one else could play 16th notes at 270bpm while hitting every single note while hitting every single note with the same consistency every time.
The guy was a genetic freak as far as how his brain was wired (known for his incredible rate of being able to absorb new information).
Hitting 240bpm in 16ths is already quite hard as it is (I used to be able to do it, but lost it quite quickly after I stopped practicing alt picking for months). Currently I can only hit 200bpm on my good days, though most days it's probably 180-190.
That's about Paul Gilbert/John Petrucci speeds right there (although Gilbert is a much cleaner player though).
220bpm is probably a more reasonable expectation of most technical shredders.