Reasonable double kick speeds

Rumble

In Ruins
Jul 12, 2003
Alberta Canada
www.fallenvictim.com
I'm drummerless and writing some songs with a sequencer in the meantime. What would you guys say is a fair double kick speed limit to use when writing? What speed should I expect an average metal drummer to keep up with? Thanks guys.

what most of them are trying to play: 220-250bpm 16th notes
what most of them can actually play cleanly: 190-200bpm MAX.

george kollias, derek roddy etc manage to play up to 260bpm 16th notes, but that's way beyond what most drummers can pull off.
i'd say a decent drummer that has his shit together can play 230bpm 16th notes at times, and can solidly hit 220bpm for extended periods.

I was joking with my fist post, even though there are a few guys who can do it (Jade Simonetto, Roddy, The Proscriptor and obviously Longstreth)

But most guys should be able to about 200, relatively cleanly

Don't forget that drummers can use those special pedals to reach some ridiculous speeds with ease. They can double (singles) or quadruple (heel-toe) the actual tempo they play, since the special pedals strike twice per hit.

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been limiting the kick drum speed in the stuff I write to the speed I can play 16th notes using all down picking on guitar. I know there are drummers that can do way better but I am not confident I will be able to snag them to preform the material live.

what most of them are trying to play: 220-250bpm 16th notes
what most of them can actually play cleanly: 190-200bpm MAX.

george kollias, derek roddy etc manage to play up to 260bpm 16th notes, but that's way beyond what most drummers can pull off.
i'd say a decent drummer that has his shit together can play 230bpm 16th notes at times, and can solidly hit 220bpm for extended periods.

agree!

I know this isn't helpful in the slightest, but this seems like the best place to post this.

2:55
the first time I heard that I nearly shat myself

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm drummerless and writing some songs with a sequencer in the meantime. What would you guys say is a fair double kick speed limit to use when writing? What speed should I expect an average metal drummer to keep up with? Thanks guys.

I'm "drummerless"(even though I am a drummer aswell, I sold my kit last year) and writing aswell and I've been sticking to around 160 to 250 in GP when I'm writing... I'll probably end up going with Lyle Cooper via 006 to do the drums and considering the faceless' stuff I think I'm safe with that, plus I don't think I'm ever gonna do the metal stuff live, atleast not for a while anyways.

Personally, I can't go past 180-200 double-bass wise, but that's mainly a technique problem (I use my leg instead of ankles so I hit ridiculously heavy all the time... as in I've put a beater through a drum head on 2 seperate occasions..)

-P

I'm "drummerless"(even though I am a drummer aswell, I sold my kit last year) and writing aswell and I've been sticking to around 160 to 250 in GP when I'm writing... I'll probably end up going with Lyle Cooper via 006 to do the drums and considering the faceless' stuff I think I'm safe with that, plus I don't think I'm ever gonna do the metal stuff live, atleast not for a while anyways.

Personally, I can't go past 180-200 double-bass wise, but that's mainly a technique problem (I use my leg instead of ankles so I hit ridiculously heavy all the time... as in I've put a beater through a drum head on 2 seperate occasions..)

-P

I JUST had a drummer break 4 bass skins the other day, he wasn't even hitting really hard so after the 4th one I started to get pretty frustrated and did a check on his beater, fucking kid had it backwards because and I quote "it adds to the dynamics and gives it a better feel"

When programming I usually dont go past 180-190 for my own stuff.

I JUST had a drummer break 4 bass skins the other day, he wasn't even hitting really hard so after the 4th one I started to get pretty frustrated and did a check on his beater, fucking kid had it backwards because and I quote "it adds to the dynamics and gives it a better feel"

When programming I usually dont go past 180-190 for my own stuff.

I was using a dw 9000 felt beater...

-P