ReCabinet -VS- GuitarHack Impulse Shootout

Infact, we should just take IR's for what they are; a convenient way to achieve a decent tone for demos etc.

My experience it's just an example... I'm officially a bass player, but I wrote my songs with a guitar, and I ended up recording my demos to let people join the project and give them an idea of my music.

I'm dreaming of recording my song in a $$$ pro studio with a great 6505 head multibillion dollars preamp and ultraprofessional sound engineers, but it's not what I can get now, and probably it's not even the time to think about that.

So I obtained cool stuff with those useful tools: I can't record and mix like Sneap, but it's really a great thing when you listened to 100 demos from different bands in your town, and all of them sounds preatty nasty, or nothing special... and then you start to let people ear YOUR stuff, and everyone goes "holy shit, how did you achieved that?!?"

Next step: reamping. That's another tool that can make a huge difference in quality. Record your guitar in a comfortable environment, spend 2 hours in a studio, bam, instant pro stuff. Without spending a crapload of money and using great hardware, "the real deal".

Maybe.

It just seems that I've seen a fair amount of people whining about Recabinet since 2.0 came out including a member of this forum who decided it would be nice starting the same thread on multiple forums causing Shane to have to track them down and defend his product. And I won't forget to mention this was after Shane publicly offered him a refund.

And why just guitarhack vs. recabinet with all the other great impulses being used on the forum at the moment?

That would be me…
I´ve started multiple threads (here, guitarampmodelling, recabinet forums) in an attempt to reach a wider audience and had no intent to bash the product….
Shane knows this and defended his product because he wanted, I didn´t attacked anything, I was merely giving my feedback.
To anyone who wants check what i wrote at:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/489937-recabinet-2-0-modern-vintage-may-21-a-3.html
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5835
http://recabi.net/recabinet_forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70

The threads were all started at about the same time and it was only after that a refund was indeed offered by Shane, although I didn’t ask for one.

For the record, I wasn't ever trying to "defend" my product, just trying to help the user in question, who didn't want a refund and was actually extremely humble and even apologetic about his concerns, if a bit strange in his approach. I'm still a bit confused about it actually. :lol:

There´s nothing to be confused about : I bought a product and accept my noobness in the mixing department…I´ve dealt with Shane with the respect that I would expect that someone else did with me, maybe people aren´t used to that.:rolleyes:

The release of Ryan's set of fredman impulses basically cemented that the very best cabinet IRs to be had out there are to be had for free.
That maybe true but I must say that I bought recab with the intent of expanding the possibilities in cabs and mics, although they don´t quite mesh together with the ones u refered, only with the ones in the library itself:(

^ :)
I understand the convenience factor though. They are a useful tool for scratch tracks and possibly demo's, I just hope that ongoing modern metal production does not start to rely so heavily on things like Sims, Impulses and to that matter bought samples (user created is a different story). Where has the art of recording gone? Seems like too many are looking for the easy way out. To me it cheapens the whole recording process and the skill of Audio Engineering when any 12 year old can buy album-ready drum samples, Impulses, sims, etc... and make an album with little to no skillbase. Again, I understand the convenience. I just think the "art" is being lost. I hope we dont end up as an electronica-metal world with simulated/sampled/impulsed everything.

I understand all your points and agree, but I would like to point out that not everyone is aimimg to be the next Andy Sneap or the likes, i´m sure that many out there are just using impulses to jamm around and just because it´s easy and like u said “convenient” in many levels

^ :)
Also, regarding the OP. You can't just dial in an amp/sim tone that suits one mic position/Impulse and then throw another completely different Impulse on it and expect it to sound good. From what I can gather about Shane's filename is that the mic is dead-centre on the grill. New_IR (or whatever the hell it is called) was an Edge position on a different Cab. Not trying to be rude, just explaining. :)

Sorry Matt, you´re caught here on this little detail, however if u get the right files(mic positions) i´m sure u will still ear a significant difference.

Quite the contrary. I wanted to start a constructive discussion about Recabinet impulses, I also wanted to hear others opinions of what I was hearing and see if there were varying opinions. I didn't bash anyone. If this discussion can help Shane improve his product, that would be great since his aim is to create the best possible impulses available, and why I spent the money for his product.

Exactly what I fell about it

Of course there is room for improvement, but what we're now debating about is a very small threshold of difference, where each new development is only going to make marginal improvements, which will seem big to some and small to most.

I think that small threshold of difference is important.
Also, could u please explain what´s the difference between v1.6 and v2 of recabinet other than the gear used, because I prefer the "sonic fingerprint" of the first and it seems like in v2 there´s something going on…did u eq/post process the impulses?? or are these the straight out files recorded??

Is it possible to have the cabs and mics in v2 in "v1.6 format"?

P.

I think that small threshold of difference is important.
Also, could u please explain what´s the difference between v1.6 and v2 of recabinet other than the gear used, because I prefer the "sonic fingerprint" of the first and it seems like in v2 there´s something going on…did u eq/post process the impulses?? or are these the straight out files recorded??

Is it possible to have the cabs and mics in v2 in "v1.6 format"?

P.

I agree that the small threshold of difference is important; it's what I spend a lot of my time these days obsessing over. However, I'm also realistic about the fact that it's a very small number of people to whom some of these differences are readily apparent. That realization doesn't change what I am doing, I'm committed to the ongoing quest here, but I'm not going to allow myself to get tunnel vision either.

The signal path of v1 and v2 is totally different. For v1, I used a UA 610 mic pre, for v2, I used an API 3124. Totally different studios, different rooms, etc. Also in v2, I placed all the cabinets on an Auralex Gramma pad to decouple them from the floor - in v1 the cabinets (with or without casters) were recorded on the floor, for better or worse.

No post processing was done to the IRs in either version - they are true to what was captured in the room. What you have in v2 is a very balanced, pure, "reference" quality capture of the cabinets and mics in question. In v1, what you have is a variety of factors (dark mic pre, darker room, no speaker decoupling) that make the library darker than v2.

My suggestion with v2 is, generally (particularly for metal rhythm guitar sounds) - if you're looking for an instant gratification IR, go with the Royer 121 at 4 or 6 inches distance. If you want to spend more time sculpting a really rich tone, experiment blending the brighter mics (57, 545, i5, U87 etc.) with darker ones (121, 421, 409, etc.) Also experiment mixing power sections, cabinets, etc. With two Recabinet 2.0 IRs simultaneously you can achieve sounds that rival miked cab tracks - it's something I highly encourage!

To add to the discussion... I use to swear by tube amps only and the thought of recording an amp directly was enough to make me chop my hand off! But I've kept an open mind over the years. Now I've come full circle.

I'm beginning to prefer the sound of modeled amps, (Axe FX, ReValver and sometimes even GR3) and impulse driven cabinet emulation over the real thing, tube amps with tube poweramps, into real cabs that are miced. A perfect example of this is the guitar tone on Killswitch's new album. I'm not a fan at all of the over fizzy, almost thin sounding tone. There have been lots of other examples where I've heard better modeled tones than real tube amplified tone. Marco Sfogli's solo album There's Hope has tracks incorporating GR3. It's difficult to tell which songs he used it on and which ones he used his Mesa preamp on.

There are lots of amazing recordings out there with the real deal, but for me, an amazing guitar tone can be attained either with a real guitar amp and cab, or with digital modeled amps and impulse driven cabinet simulations.