Recc me some bands?

A lot of these bands i've at least heard once before, but it doesn't matter because there's bands among them that you've renewed my interest in so to speak...

Thanks to you all. I appreciate it.

Late Yes.... Yeah, the Ladder is fantastic (homeworld is one of their best songs imo) but other than that I dunno.

The Ladder was definitely a strong album....quite pleasantly suprised when that one came out. But Keys to Ascension (mind you, I'm referring to the studio songs on both albums) I and II were good as well. I loved the Talk album. Open Your Eyes was good, just a rushed effort, should have been better. Magnification has 3 good songs, but, no keyboardist?! I like a symphony in the background, but when Jon Anderson wanted this, it just made me think the album was a solo album by J. A . As for Union....well, the record company got too involved, but there's still 6 great songs on the peiced together album....not bad considering the interference!

I'm a big fan of Union, Talk, The Ladder, Big Generator, Open Your Eyes. Magnification leaves something to be desired.
As far as Marillion goes, while the first three albums with Fish were good, Hogarth's entry with Seasons End eclipses them all. Further efforts of excellence, in my opinion, include Marbles, Marillion.com, and This Strange Engine. For Genesis, I find Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance more interesting than their 70's hey-day. With Rush, it's not so much disinterest in early albums. Like with Marillion, I enjoy all of their catalog. But the favorites lean heavily to the right: Vapor Trails, Roll The Bones, Grace Under Pressure, Presto, Counterparts, and the obvious Moving Pictures. While Hemispheres and 2112 are not "bad" I again just have less interest in the meandering prog era they went through. Fly By Night is excellent too.

hmmm...

i would agree with the Porcupine Tree recommendation, especially In Absentia...also, glad to hear you mention Cavalera Conspiracy :) i LOVE older Sepultura (BTR, Arise, Chaos A.D.) as well.

As far as i'm concerned, the best kept secret in heavy music right now is Misery Signals. They get classified as 'metalcore', but that does not at all do justice to the creative melodic guitars, odd time signatures, and overall awesomeness. All 3 of their albums are great, but the new one Controller is a bit more accessible and is highly recommended. The vocals are harsh hardcore/metal style, but the unexpected and beautiful guitar melodies more than make up for it IMO.

Also, more recent Katatonia (like The Great Cold Distance), the new Tool record 10,000 days, and old Children of Bodom if you can tolerate higher-pitched death-type vox (their album HateBreeder rules).

also, if you can tolerate some death vox, Into Eternity from Canada are awesome (the last 2 albums, The Scattering of Ashes and Buried in Oblivion)...they are a great prog/power/death mix with great clean vox as well, and really great time changes/riffing.

Thanks.

They may have elements of death vocals, but it should not be the driving vocal style like in traditional death metal or brutal thrash.

Im familiar with the prog bands you mentioned, but not the thrash bands 'sept Testament and Coroner. Kreator, Sodom and Destruction...hmm. Maybe i'll give em a go.

Into Eternity!!!

I liked Into Eternity but then I saw the light and now I hate them. Whiny clean vox, "irritating" prog wank parts that ruin song structure ... and this emo video:

Seriously when they're not playing the heavy parts they sound like some fucking MTV band.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, the video is kinda gay, but I disagree with everything else you said. Different strokes I suppose.

Agreed- Into Eternity shreds, and it is rare to find a band that can cohesively bring together so many metal styles without sounding like they are just trying to throw in the kitchen sink.

btw- Mr. Bungle, i tried to catch up with you on another thread, so i'll try here as well...saw that you posted on the Odins Court forum...they are a local band from my area (Northern Virginia/ Maryland), and my bandmates know them well! Are you from around here as well?

I liked Into Eternity but then I saw the light and now I hate them. Whiny clean vox, "irritating" prog wank parts that ruin song structure ... and this emo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5GSFcYqBoc

Seriously when they're not playing the heavy parts they sound like some fucking MTV band.

Wow. The solo was full of inaccurate wanking. Also the song altogether has no meaning. Sounds like random riffs from different genres one after the other. I could never get into this band.

Agreed- Into Eternity shreds, and it is rare to find a band that can cohesively bring together so many metal styles without sounding like they are just trying to throw in the kitchen sink.

btw- Mr. Bungle, i tried to catch up with you on another thread, so i'll try here as well...saw that you posted on the Odins Court forum...they are a local band from my area (Northern Virginia/ Maryland), and my bandmates know them well! Are you from around here as well?

No, I grew up in LA, I now live in Bend Oregon, I stumbled onto that band on accident and I loved them.