Reccomend some bands for me....

MSPelata

Clouded Optimist
Oct 22, 2001
NC - USA
Besides our beloved Katatonia, The Gathering, Anathema, & Opeth...what are some bands that delve into the slow, dark, sad, atmospheric rock/metal vibe? I prefer clean vocals (with Opeth being the obvious exception)...but will listen to anything once.

I've snagged some CD's by Godspeed You Black Emperor, Oceansize & Slowdive lately...and I like them all. I'm also a fan of Porcupine Tree & Kent.

Hit me! :hotjump:

This has properly been posted a million times but here goes anyway :D

I reccomend these bands.

Agalloch - The Mantle and their first album Pale Folklore.

Novembre: Arte Novecento- Their best album if you ask me.

Woods Of Ypres: Pursuit of the & allure of the earth.

Green Carnation. All their albums they are simply fantastic.

In The Woods: All their albums they are fantastic as well.

Of the Wand and the Moon: Nighttime Nightrimes.

Saturnus: Paradise belongs to you.

Novembers Doom: The Knowing.

Ayreon: The Human Equation.

There is really so much out there. I'll name some of my favorites off the top of my head

Fragile Hollow - Effette Mind (katatonia-esque gothic rock/metal, all clean vocals)

Agalloch - The Mantle (atmospheric metal and folk combined...clean vocals and growls, a favorite with alot of people)

As Divine Grace - Lumo or Supremature (female vocals, atmospheric metal)

Insomnium - either album they have two (highly melodic finnish death metal, very atmospheric and cold...a must for doom fans)

My Dying Bride (if you havent heard anything from them...they are a must!)

The Loveless - Star rover (melencholy gothic metal, katatonia-like in some ways, all clean vocals)

Happy listening!

Based on the bands you like, you MUST check out these bands and albums:

My Dying Bride - make sure to start with any of these four:
Turn Loose the Swans
Angel and the Dark River
Dreadful Hours
Songs of Darkness, Words of Light

Madder Mortem - Deadlands

In the Woods - AWESOME BAND!
Start with "Omnio", then pick up "3x7....on a Pilgrimage"

Paradise Lost - BUT only these three records:
Icon
Draconian Times
One Second

MSPelata said:
Besides our beloved Katatonia, The Gathering, Anathema, & Opeth...what are some bands that delve into the slow, dark, sad, atmospheric rock/metal vibe? I prefer clean vocals (with Opeth being the obvious exception)...but will listen to anything once.

I've snagged some CD's by Godspeed You Black Emperor, Oceansize & Slowdive lately...and I like them all. I'm also a fan of Porcupine Tree & Kent.

Hi!

hey, Katatonia, the Gathering, Anathema and Opeth were MY favorite bands for a long time! i like Slowdive as hell also. :)

if you look for great atmosphere, try Isis - Panopticon.

if you like Slowdive, check out Sigur Ros - ( ) and Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People.

if you like Godspeed, you could check out Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place, Mountain Men Anonymous - Krkonose and A Silver Mt. Zion - Born into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upward, if you are into postrock.

In The Woods... - Omnio or ItW... - Strange In Stereo are also great recommendations if you haven'y heard them before. Same goes for Saturnus - Paradise Belongs To You if you are into doom. (Saturnus is much better than My Dying Bride in my opinion, because of the vocals. Saturnus' growls are, beside Opeth, the best growls in metal.)

Red House Painters - Down Colourful Hill is great from non-metal territiry, and it is slow, dark and sad indeed.

enjoy!
cheers

MSPelata said:

Hi!

hey, Katatonia, the Gathering, Anathema and Opeth were MY favorite bands for a long time! i like Slowdive as hell also. :)

if you look for great atmosphere, try Isis - Panopticon.

if you like Slowdive, check out Sigur Ros - ( ) and Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People.

if you like Godspeed, you could check out Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place, Mountain Men Anonymous - Krkonose and A Silver Mt. Zion - Born into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upward, if you are into postrock.

In The Woods... - Omnio or ItW... - Strange In Stereo are also great recommendations if you haven'y heard them before. Same goes for Saturnus - Paradise Belongs To You if you are into doom. (Saturnus is much better than My Dying Bride in my opinion, because of the vocals. Saturnus' growls are, beside Opeth, the best growls in metal.)

Red House Painters - Down Colourful Hill is great from non-metal territiry, and it is slow, dark and sad indeed.

enjoy!
cheers

Greyswan
Blazing Eternity
Distress
Earthtone 9
Riverside
Sometree
Thine
The Though Industry
Tiamat
The Wounded

Illnath mentioned our disc "The Knowing" but I think our last disc "To Welcome The Fade" also would fit into with your query of music wanted. Our upcoming disc features even more clean melodic vocals and such. Sometime soon we'll be putting up samples of the new material for you to check out so you can see if it's of any interest.

I also second the motion that you check out bands like Agalloch and Woods Of Ypres, both incredible bands who I think would likely suit what you're looking for!

I'm gonna also recomend Tiamat, my favorite album is 'A Deeper kind of Slumber' it's very magical and hazy, almost dreamlike...the three albums after that have had a stronger gothic rock feel to em, but imo the songwriting is always superb...check em out

I remember 'A Deeper Kind Of Slumber' from a few years ago...it was very good. I'll have to seek that one out again.

Thanks!

klimt 1918 - undressed momento is a very good rock/metal album, produced by the novembre guys, and has some similarities... amazing
room with a view is also great

Oceana said:
klimt 1918 - undressed momento is a very good rock/metal album, produced by the novembre guys, and has some similarities... amazing
room with a view is also great
agreed! I saw them live and they were really great!
You should also check out their demo "secession makes post-modern music- it's even more in the vein of Katatonia!

I just did a search on Klimt 1918 and they have nothing available in the USA. I read a bunch of bio's and descriptions and it sounds like something I'd love!

I need to try and track them down...