Recent Purchases

lol well, its kind of a funny story. My dad has owned a pretty successful hockey equipment store for like 40 years, and when I used to play hockey all my friends would be like "oh man dude, your dad must HOOK YOU UP with gear right!?" when in reality my dad would only buy me like very subpar equipment to use lol ex) $30 woodstick when the rest of my team had $150+ composites (this was when they had just come out with the synergy and they were sooo expensive!)

Oh well, I still work there when I'm not at school sharpening ice skates and being brutal but even now im still using the 530 when i go to S&S.

I'm thinking about playing mens league this summer... I haven't played on a team in like 4 years :(

^Do it then! About Sinergys, they're fucking expensive, but they're well worth the hype imo. Nothing has ever come close to my broken ST, but now they're crazy expensive (some 200 euros here in Spain) so there's no way I'm getting one. For how much do they run at your dad's shop?

:lol: yeah on ice the puck has some extra speed, but I love that compared to roller. Maybe it's because our rink is pure shit and once we have our new sport court one I'll change my opinion, but so far I love the feel on the ice because you don't have to drag the puck along with you, but control it so it doesn't bounce off too quick, and that helps a lot when trying dekes an going backhand/forehand quickly. Also slapshot on ice is much more fun as it's a lot heavier :lol: The five guys thingie actually has me hooked and can't wait to join an ice team next year when I'm in Austria on an Erasmus scholarship. As a defence, I don't like the fact that in roller, at least here, we swap positions and cycle a lot, I prefer to remain in my position because there's where I'm comfortable with my game. On ice, with three forwards running around the net, you can stay on the blue line and deliver shots for some rebounds or a lucky goal if there's traffic in front of the net.

I play in a team. I actually have a game away tomorrow at 12 and it's a 3h drive, fuck them for making me wake up at 7, we're gonna crush them :lol:).

Ghey. Go fap about them with Crosby :lol: Nah but seriously, wooden sticks are such a drag, they are heavier and flex is different and they are too boringly similar. Yes, you can play with one, but dunno, they feel weird to me. If you want a tough stick you can aswell get a 110 Sinergy ST. I can assure you that you won't break that in your whole life, and it's still pretty light and great to handle.

Yeah, if you're not playing much, or if you're not like super into playing hockey, then there's no real point in buying a composite stick unless you've got massive amounts of money to blow. Wood sticks still work great, composites just make it slightly better, if you're into the game enough to justify spending the money. I just don't like it when guys are so elitist and say that composites are total bullshit and stuff.

I know what you mean about the ice making moving the puck and deking faster, but I tend to try to do it too fast and just drop it and then the puck goes flying haha. And we also change positions here a lot. But whenever I'm playing ice, I still change positions a lot and everyone gets mad at me haha, which is just another reason I said that whole five guys on a team fucks me up. I do love sport court. It's almost like a nice cross between ice and what I normally play on. My slapshot sucks, so I don't really do them.

I know it's a totally stereotypical story for a hockey player, but I got kicked out of the league I used to play on because I almost got into a fight with one of the refs. But he was the one who followed me out to my car, I didn't get in his face. I just told him he was a fuckhead and didn't know what he was doing. And I decided I don't wanna pay league fee's to play with refs like that. But I still totally miss playing really bad. =\

I bought the whole Foo Fighters discography. Dave Grohl is incredible.

Holy shit, that is bad ass, sir. =O

ALSO: Now that I have this new computer, I gotta start using it. One of the first things on my list is bit torrent. Since I haven't had a comp in so long, I haven't been following what the goings on are of torrents. Any suggestions?

^Why would you do that? If ref is a fucktard just take a shot at him when he's near the net, he can't blame you for not being super-accurate :lol:

About sticks, wooden ones are ok I guess, but e.g. a Reebok 4K composite ops it's 45 euros here, so not that expensive and the change in feel is there. Of course you don't need to buy a 200$ stick tho, I don't think it really pays the price. The further I've gone is this Christmas when I went crazy and bought myself a Warrior MacDaddy, but I never spend over 100$ in a stick.

Sport court is indeed great, puck actually moves in there unlike our current rink, but yeah, I kinda miss the keeping your position that ice offers. Other than that I prefer roller as is not as phisical, and to be honest I'm not keen on the possibility of getting my knees fucked up by a resentful opponent or more than a bruise from taking a slap shot :lol: Also, you said your slap shot isn't too good? Weren't you a D? How do you survive without it? I can't conceive my playing without it, a wrist shot from the blue line is like a candy for a goalie :lol: Dunno, wrist and snap are great for breakaways or when shooting from close range of the net, or if you're forward, but you gotta have a decent slap shot to cash out some goals as D, even if it's just for your forwards to redirect or to get a rebound for them to put home. You won't get many rebounds from wrist shots from the blue line.

^Why would you do that? If ref is a fucktard just take a shot at him when he's near the net, he can't blame you for not being super-accurate :lol:

About sticks, wooden ones are ok I guess, but e.g. a Reebok 4K composite ops it's 45 euros here, so not that expensive and the change in feel is there. Of course you don't need to buy a 200$ stick tho, I don't think it really pays the price. The further I've gone is this Christmas when I went crazy and bought myself a Warrior MacDaddy, but I never spend over 100$ in a stick.

Sport court is indeed great, puck actually moves in there unlike our current rink, but yeah, I kinda miss the keeping your position that ice offers. Other than that I prefer roller as is not as phisical, and to be honest I'm not keen on the possibility of getting my knees fucked up by a resentful opponent or more than a bruise from taking a slap shot :lol: Also, you said your slap shot isn't too good? Weren't you a D? How do you survive without it? I can't conceive my playing without it, a wrist shot from the blue line is like a candy for a goalie :lol: Dunno, wrist and snap are great for breakaways or when shooting from close range of the net, or if you're forward, but you gotta have a decent slap shot to cash out some goals as D, even if it's just for your forwards to redirect or to get a rebound for them to put home. You won't get many rebounds from wrist shots from the blue line.

I'd rather make it clear that I'm unhappy. =)

And once again our opinions differ. I prefer very physical games. But here, ice and roller are about equally physical. We can generally push and shove but that's about it, but if the refs recognize that both players know what they're doing, we can actually start hitting a little. Of course, I've never actually played on an ice team, so maybe it's different in league play. However I do agree that getting hit by an ice puck fucking suuuuuucks. I've gotten kinda fucked up from roller pucks, too, though.

Yeah, I do play D more often, and I used to play strictly D. I've never been a goal scorer, so I guess that kinda answers your questions on how I used to score goals. But, as I said before, we changed positions a lot during play. So if I cycled to forward or if I was just pinching the offensive zone, I could score sometimes. From the blue line, or the red line as we don't have blue lines at our rink, I would usually go for passes or deflections, rather than trying to score directly. And I play forward more often now, 'cause I am tired of never scoring goals haha. Problem is, I haven't learned how to get through traffic and get a shot off yet. So I'm kinda screwed there, too, haha. I really need to work on my slapshot though. It's sad that I've been playing for like ten years and can't do one. =\

I never said I don't like physical :lol: As a D nothing's funnier than ruining opposition's forwards plays by blocking them to the body and letting the puck go loose to your paired D or sandwiching them into the boards. But roller and ice have quite different allowance of physical play, hence why we don't wear chest protectors in roller. While heavy heavy hits aren't really that usual (you see 5 or so per game on ice) one is enough to fuck you up, whereas that is highly unlikely to happen in roller. That's the part of the physical play that I don't like. About getting hit yeah, both hurt, but damn ice puck can get you pretty damn bad! A roller puck to the chest sure hurts, but won't break anything like an ice puck may. Ah if I turn to ice next year it's gonna be so expensive in new material (skates, chest protector and pants won't go under 400$) :erk:

About goals yep, not frequent for Ds to score straight from the slapshot, but good screening from forwards can do wonders for you. Of course it depends a lot on your forwards (without screening the goalie must be having a really bad day to get it past him) and deflections are always easier way, but it's nice to try some one-timers and see if you can get one every now and then, because after all nothing compares to scoring a goal. To improve your slapshot, if you have the basics down then just try it as much as you can in trainings and it'll get better. Two tips are 1) don't raise your stick above your head like some NHL players do, because it'll slow you down if you're not super-fit like them, a short movement (hip height or so but not more than shoulder height is more than enough) will be quicker therefore make a better transition resulting in a better shot; 2) close your hand a little bit (turning the tip of the blade a little bit forward), it'll get your shot more controlled and if using an open blade pattern as you and I use, prevent the puck from flying over the goalie or ripping your forwards' heads :lol:

Ah yes, especially when he's some fancy guy who the rest of your D has been having trouble with and you just push him over on some move he's trying that forces his balance off... I can't help laugh a little when it happens. I don't usually see guys wearing chest protectors on ice either, but again, that's not during league play. So I could assume it's more physical during league play. But still, I'm a little guy and I still don't mind getting hit pretty hard. It just makes the game more interesting to me. And about the chest protectors, I think that's actually more what they're for! Getting hit in the chest with a puck fucking blows! Or the side of the knee where there's next to no padding. Makes me shudder just thinking about it, haha.

I just wear my roller hockey pants when I play on ice. People know you're a roller player when you do, so they cut you a little slack, and they look better anyway, imo. But yeah, if there's one piece of equipment you gotta make sure you drop some money on it's skates. Funky skates will fuck your game up all day. I know I sound like a sponsor for them or something, but I'd ebay the new equipment. Just figure out exactly what you want in what size at the store, then go ebay it. I got my ice skates that were like 400 bucks new, at the time, for like 250. And they're great. They were already sharpened and just barely broken in.

The thing with the slap shot is I used to practice them all day in my back yard (with no skates), and was able to do them pretty good. Then I tried to start doing them at the rink and they were all fucked up and now I can't do them on skates or in shoes. My coach in high school used to say I swung at the puck too much like a baseball bat, but I'm not too sure what that means. =\ I really wanna get some actual coaching on it, though. I had one guy who I knew who was a really good ice player, played like division I and stuff, and he told me just to concentrate on getting my hips into it and that helped, but it still just seems to lack the blade attack on the puck, you know? Like, whenever I try to do a slapshot, it goes up in an arc and kind of flutters around, instead of being straight and hard.

MPW-544

Ed I recommend seeing this movie too if you haven't already

The best scene in a Chuck Norris movie was in (I think) Firewalker. He's got this guy cornered on a cliff and he's holding a knife. The guy just looks at Chuck, screams and jumps off the cliff. I fucking lol'd so hard

Also my mate bought this
SdujB.jpg

We're going to watch them in the same night. It will be lol

6a00fae8ba9105000b00fa9677cc930003-.jpg

Bought it on a whim, since my next book isn't coming in the mail for quite a while. Actually is turning out to be quite good! Not what I was expecting at all. Can't wait to see my teachers reactions when they see me reading it in class though :lol:

Ah yes, especially when he's some fancy guy who the rest of your D has been having trouble with and you just push him over on some move he's trying that forces his balance off... I can't help laugh a little when it happens. I don't usually see guys wearing chest protectors on ice either, but again, that's not during league play. So I could assume it's more physical during league play. But still, I'm a little guy and I still don't mind getting hit pretty hard. It just makes the game more interesting to me. And about the chest protectors, I think that's actually more what they're for! Getting hit in the chest with a puck fucking blows! Or the side of the knee where there's next to no padding. Makes me shudder just thinking about it, haha.

I just wear my roller hockey pants when I play on ice. People know you're a roller player when you do, so they cut you a little slack, and they look better anyway, imo. But yeah, if there's one piece of equipment you gotta make sure you drop some money on it's skates. Funky skates will fuck your game up all day. I know I sound like a sponsor for them or something, but I'd ebay the new equipment. Just figure out exactly what you want in what size at the store, then go ebay it. I got my ice skates that were like 400 bucks new, at the time, for like 250. And they're great. They were already sharpened and just barely broken in.

The thing with the slap shot is I used to practice them all day in my back yard (with no skates), and was able to do them pretty good. Then I tried to start doing them at the rink and they were all fucked up and now I can't do them on skates or in shoes. My coach in high school used to say I swung at the puck too much like a baseball bat, but I'm not too sure what that means. = I really wanna get some actual coaching on it, though. I had one guy who I knew who was a really good ice player, played like division I and stuff, and he told me just to concentrate on getting my hips into it and that helped, but it still just seems to lack the blade attack on the puck, you know? Like, whenever I try to do a slapshot, it goes up in an arc and kind of flutters around, instead of being straight and hard.

Been around for a bit of time, but here I come again :lol:

On chest protectors yeah, league play is pretty tough, and you don't wanna be in the way of slapshots and cross checks without a chest protector, so I'll have to end up getting it. Pants will probably do too because as last D I'm gonna see a lot of our own net and catch quite a bit of shots :lol: Skates are indeed something I'm gonna invest some money on because I don't wanna skate in a piece of shit, it ruins the whole thing.

About your slapshot, dunno how good or bad you have the basics, but the body movement it's not that different from the wrist shot. The arm movement is, but the body movement is legs a bit more spread than when skating, lean back a bit and then lean forward putting pressure on your stick for a faster and harder release. Then arms, instead of resting the stick on the floor and accompanying the puck along, have to raise the stick above your hip height and then unload the shot. While getting the stick down to shoot the puck you should balance the body and do the back-to-forward transition with the body to make the movement fluid and get some extra energy on that shot. Your hands (and this is really important) have to be firm on the stick and not have it loose. Get a hard grip on it, tip the toe of the stick a little bit down and shoot so that, when your stick hits the floor and the puck, it's at around a 80º angle with the ground. Like with wrist shots, follow the puck when you shoot and point with the stick to where you want the puck to go. It's all a matter of practice, but those are some basic tips. The most important one I think it is keeping your hands gripped hard on the stick so it doesn't roll when you hit the ground, and closing the blade a little bit when hitting the ground (that 80º angle). The thing you mention of your slapshot going all nuts and weak and like jumping or so may well be because a not firm enough grip on the stick or for angling the blade too open. Try those and hopefully they'll work a bit and you can develop it, it's a really useful shot.