Recently Purchased Albums

Just ordered
White Willow - Sacrement
Dredg - El Cielo (I only first heard this band yesterday and thought id better buy thier cd)
They wouldnt ship family guy boxers to my country though :(

Porcupine tree - Deadwing, There best album yet.

Mudvayne - Lost and found, Very good album and Ryan is still one of the best bass players I have ever heard.

Autechre - Untilted, Experimental electronic music at it's best. Very interesting music.

i'm gonna try and get a job at a record store this summer, two words: employee discount :D

i haven't bought any albums in weeks, i'm trying to save money :erk:

Question: Ive heard you guys talk alot about Ulver, and think it might be a good idea for me to try them out...which would be a good album to get? Depending on how much money i have (computer is royally buggered, so is in for repair..<gulp>), i might also get a Dredg, Anekdoten and/or Orphaned Land cd too (Call me crazy, but a few people seem to enjoy Mabool just a wee tad). If you want to reccommend which of those to get, id be grateful. Oh, and descriptions of each might be nice, just so i know what im letting myself in for.

@ t3ts.
The only Ulver records I have are Bergtatt and KveldsSanger. KveldsSanger is all acoustic, somewhat reminiscent of early Opeth acoustic passages, only much better. (Think neo-folk with almost chanted vocals). Good to listen to to relax.
Bergtatt is mostly black metal, but not super-fast and with nice melodies and vocals.
Their more recent stuff is ambient electronica, though I am yet to hear any of it.

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Question: Ive heard you guys talk alot about Ulver, and think it might be a good idea for me to try them out...which would be a good album to get? Depending on how much money i have (computer is royally buggered, so is in for repair..<gulp>), i might also get a Dredg, Anekdoten and/or Orphaned Land cd too (Call me crazy, but a few people seem to enjoy Mabool just a wee tad). If you want to reccommend which of those to get, id be grateful. Oh, and descriptions of each might be nice, just so i know what im letting myself in for.
OK, well, if you're trying to get into Ulver, I recommend their black metal stuff, it's the best material they've done to date.

Bergtatt is their best album, it's black metal with a bit of folk included in the mix, Nattens Madrigal is also pretty good, but not as listener friendly, especially for someone who isn't acquainted with black metal.

Later on you might wanna check out their ambient stuff, Perdition City is easily the best ambient they've done, Kveldssanger is a folk album they released between Bergtatt and Nattens Mandrigal, not really a bad album, but I rarely listen to it.

I haven't been able to purchase any new music lately, due to lack of money, however I downloaded and currently am enjoying these.

Dodheimsgard - 666 International
Taake - Nattestid ser porten vid
Nazxul - Totem
Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express
Shining - Within Deep Dark Chambers
Nurse with Wound - Acts of Senseless Beauty

Dead Raven Choir - Death to Dead Wolves
Dead Raven Choir - Wine, Women & Wolves
Dead Raven Choir & Never Presence Forever - Rozrywa Szwy Ciszy
Vitriol - I-VII
Psywarfare - Circle Gets the Square
Psywarfare - Exotic Sounds of

jethro tull - aqualung

well, i got a rude awakening a few minutes ago...i went to go get $410 from the ATM machine for my car insurance payment, and my fucking balance was $3.43. I've always been really good with money, and at one point i had 6k in the bank..and that wasn't too long ago actually. however, dishing out $4500 for my new car kinda hurt it haha. then $410 a few months ago for insurance, then like i said, $410 i took out tonight, paying at LEAST $60 a week or more in gas, to get to and from school (50 miles away), and now i've gotten into buying a lot of cds..like a fucking addiction. SOOOO, i won't be buying cds for a while now, needless to say.

i'll be shoveling a lot into the bank soon though, cause i'll be working a lot. i just finished class on monday, and don't go back till sept :)

I got NIN: with teeth on its release day.

I am not dissapointed, but not really impressed. It is a solid release, and much better than the Fragile (that album gives me wet shits). The lyrics are good, but the music is just par. It's an album that contains "prefered tracks." The dual disc release is cool. What do others here think of it?

Definitely a great band Ulver...Perdition City, Bergatt, Kveldssanger, Nattens Madrigal...essential music albums which have definitely influenced other bands.

As far as buying new albums go...besides all the rare costly ones I want, I'm gonna buy the new Nile "Annhilation of the Wicked" album when I see them live. I think it's truly a great 2005 death metal release. Up there with new Bloodredthrone and Lost Soul. I'm gonna purchase Arckanum "Fran Marder" too.

Mind of Winter said:
Porcupine tree - Deadwing, There best album yet.

Mudvayne - Lost and found, Very good album and Ryan is still one of the best bass players I have ever heard.
Have you ever heard Victor Wooten? He plays with Bela Fleck and The Flecktones. The guy is a machine, hands-down the best player I've ever heard. Probably the best alive at the moment. He played with Jaco Pastorius (I think) and Stanley Clark. If you're looking for examples of his playing, check out his Improv/Amazing Grace solo. Insanity. :) But yeah, Ryan is awesome, too.

Stuff I bought recently (and love):
The Mars Volta: De-loused in the Comatorium, Frances the Mute
Porcupine Tree: In Absentia, Deadwing

Scores:
The Incredibles
The Day After Tomorrow
Star Wars Episode III
Shrek
:cool:

*Edit: While I'm thinking of it, what is Lamb Of God like? I've heard them mentioned a few times and was wondering what they sound like.

[onyx] said:
Have you ever heard Victor Wooten? He plays with Bela Fleck and The Flecktones. The guy is a machine, hands-down the best player I've ever heard. Probably the best alive at the moment. He played with Jaco Pastorius (I think) and Stanley Clark. If you're looking for examples of his playing, check out his Improv/Amazing Grace solo. Insanity. :) .

strongly agree +1

On the porch today...a cardboard box...don't you love packages?!!

Containing:

November's Doom--The Pale Haunt Departure On a sidenote, isn't the cover the coolest one in a long while?

Lucinda Williams--Live at the Fillmore Put aside your metal leanings, just for a moment, and listen to "Overtime", sure to become a standard...its that good.

Mars Volta--Frances the Mute

BTW, cool to see other "Subdivisions" fans. I can't picture another song that better sums up the mundane aspects of modern suburban life today (even though it was written over 20 years ago).