For $5, I'll take all three...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I was just checking out the Century Media web site store section when I noticed that they're having an Emperor sale:

Wrath Of The Tyrant
In The Nightside Eclipse
Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
IX Equilibrium
Each CD is only $5.:hotjump:

Given the chatter about these CDs in the "'Tis the season for black metal!" thread, I decided to pick up all but "Wrath Of The Tyrant".

I also picked up:

Isis - Panopticon ($11)
Suidakra - Signs for the Fallen ($11)
Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part 1 ($12)

6 CDs for $49 (+ $7 shipping via UPS) is hard to beat.

I also just picked up Maticora - 8 Deadly Sins, from The End. Nothing like CD shopping from your desk.

Zod

Yeah, pretty cool haul, there. I like Anthems, and Nightside is pretty good. Equlibrium has some good songs, but a lot of filler.

Suidakra is just cool. Nothing mindblowing or really that original, but it's just solid folky melodic black metal.

And of course Panopticon owns you all.

I still need to check out Anthems, NixosexuM burned me an mp3 copy of it. I listened to 1 maybe 2 tracks of it, I did like it.

Erik said:
So essentially, you paid $7.50 each for Anthems and Nightside and got a nice coaster for free :D
LOL. Maybe. I guess it depends who you ask. If i listen to Jay, I'll be searching for lost keys for the next year with "Nightside". And I know Dark One digs the other two. The way I see it, if I like one of the three, I break even.

Yo Dark One, you need to check out the new Isis. There are moments on this disc that seem very "Morningrise" inspired. I think you'd dig this.

Zod

I think Zod will dig Equilibrium and Anthems more than Nightside.

And yeah, I do hear some early Opeth-like moments in Panopticon.

bah, you will love it. almost desert like it is. the sound is HUGE!!!!

the comparison comes from Isis going from huge OMG riff to an eerie quiet, but they really don't use the boring patterns Opeth adhere to. listen to the fuxxing cdr already

J. said:
almost desert like it is.
COCOCOOSROSOERSOEOSREOOER~!!!!!11111

Yeah I'll spin it tonight. I organized all my CD-Rs last night so I even know where it is.

General Zod said:
And I know Dark One digs the other two. The way I see it, if I like one of the three, I break even.
Heh, actually I highly dig all three. In fact, ItNE is my second favorite behind Anthems. I just feel IX is a great place to start, as a "less harsh" introduction to Ihsahn's vocal style, accompanied by good songwriting. I think getting used to that will allow for a greater appreciation of the other two.

General Zod said:
Yo Dark One, you need to check out the new Isis. There are moments on this disc that seem very "Morningrise" inspired. I think you'd dig this.
Where'd you pick this one up? I'm definitely interested in checking it out.

Anthems is extremely accessible and polished - it could have been recorded at Finnvox in a Stratovarius studio. It doesn't take much to figure out whether you'd like it or not. ItNE, on the other hand, was recorded in a frickin' dungeon on an 8 track covered in ice.

I haven't heard anything sounding like Opeth on the new Isis, but it does have the same seemingly random but actually very meticulous passages found on Orchidrise. And it does have the desert atmosphere at times, but the modd is more akin to flying over it at night than walking through it in blistering heat...

good description there, to be sure. NAD, since you like driving through the desert at night really fast, this is your soundtrack.

JayKeeley said:
Anthems is extremely accessible and polished - it could have been recorded at Finnvox in a Stratovarius studio. It doesn't take much to figure out whether you'd like it or not. ItNE, on the other hand, was recorded in a frickin' dungeon on an 8 track covered in ice.
It's been awhile, so I had to dust off all three. (Zod always gets me in the mood to listen to particular discs, haha).

Just had another great listening session with both IX and Anthems. Now I'm onto ItNE once again. Yep, all three pretty much rule. Plus, nobody's home tonight so I can sit here in my oversized black robe of death with a sickle in one hand and my mouse in the other and not feel weird about it.

Their brand of old school speedy & harsh black metal definitly takes patience to acquire a taste for, but once that plateau is reached, and it all soaks in, watch out, this is powerful, powerful stuff.

"Into the Infinity of Thoughts" from ItNE - the keyboard passage from the 4:53 mark to the 5:05 mark and repeated from 6:10 to 6:22 is amazing.

"Inno a Satana" from ItNE - what a chilling and powerful closer. Tower of Ice indeed. Brought to a liquid state by the flames of hell.

"Ye Entrancemperium" from AttWaD - the proud, triumphant & harmonious slowdown from the 3:31 mark to the 4:22 is pure genius.

"With Strength I Burn" from AttWaD - dare I say, a progressive journey in a sea of chaos? A must for Zod.

"An Elegy of Icaros" from IX Equilibrium - one of the greatest black metal songs ever

"The Warriors of Modern Death" from IX Equilibrium - see above

you see, the problem with Century Media is that they never update their distro. I've ordered from them THREE times... and each time I have recieved an e-mail about 2 weeks later explaining how they don't have my order.... items that any self-respecting distro would have.