Recomend stuff like Comus

lmao none of these bands/artists sound like first utterance. wtf @ saying linda perhacs haha
saying that though, some good band suggestions in this thread if you havent heard them already

also nothing sounds like comus. completely unparalled

These Trails - s/t

That was actually the first thing that came to my mind when I read the initial post. Don't know why. I guess it's the fucked-upness of that album. I love it! hahahah!!

Good suggestions, I have them, I concur. Mellow Candle is awesome, but perhaps not unsettling enough.

And Illidan, there is no help in that vocals dept. The first time I heard First Utterance, I felt physically ill, and after a few spins I decided that was a most brilliant thing. It disturbed me in a way death metal wished it could! The weird stomach turning vocals are a huge part of all this...my only advice would be to not fight it, just go with it, and the genius of it all with hit you in the face. I wouldn't say that album is fairly unique, I'd say it's absolutely unique. Not even Comus made another like it.

I'll think about a few more suggestions....

How about...

Fresh Maggots
early Pentangle
Trees
Fairport Convention
Steeleye Span
Espers (?)

I dunno....Forest maybe (although...you're better off with Incredible String Band in that case)...I'll go have a think. :p