Recommend me a movie....

s_a_o

The Face of Melinda
Mar 9, 2006
And tell me why you recommend it. I'm really into movies that deal with war and/or drama. I'm open to foreign films as well.

The last movie I saw that I really really loved was The Science of Sleep. I'd recommend that one. It's a surreal drama / romance / comedy about a young artist who is unable to tell his dreams from reality. He moves to Paris, yet he barely speaks French. He works in this nightmarishly dull job where he arranges letters and words for calendars. He falls for his neighbor and tries to get her to become a part of his life. It's darkly humorous and really bizarre. It's directed by Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) and stars Gael Garcia Bernal (Y Tu Mama Tambien, The Motorcycle Diaries, Babel, Bad Education).

I dont have time to tell you why... how about Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, or Everything is Illuminated. You also cant go wrong with classics like Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction.

Some good war dramas

Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart
The Messenger - Mila Jovovich, story of Joan of Arc
Hero - Jet Li, Hong Kong swordplay movie

If you want to see a good political action movie, I would recommend The Bourne Identity/The Bourne Supremacy

You might also like American Psycho, christian bale is great in this movie, which is about a psychotic upper class businessman, very good movie

if you want to see a horror movie you should see Dog Soldiers, a werewolf movie, one of the best horror movies I have seen recently

The last movie I saw that I really really loved was The Science of Sleep. I'd recommend that one. It's a surreal drama / romance / comedy about a young artist who is unable to tell his dreams from reality. He moves to Paris, yet he barely speaks French. He works in this nightmarishly dull job where he arranges letters and words for calendars. He falls for his neighbor and tries to get her to become a part of his life. It's darkly humorous and really bizarre. It's directed by Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) and stars Gael Garcia Bernal (Y Tu Mama Tambien, The Motorcycle Diaries, Babel, Bad Education).

Sounds excellent. I loved Human Nature and Eternal Sunshine...

I might get flamed for this, but I recommend checking out Alexander revisited, the new edition of it is actually a vast improvement over the theatrical version, the battle scenes have a notable extension as well as alot of scenes being placed in a more chronological fashion. Some heavy and well needed editing also graces the disc. Some 16 minute clip of it is up at IGN here if you want to see some of the changes..

Currently watching that in my History of Music class. Really great movie!

Mozart's laugh drives me insane, though.

;)

Yeah it's great! I've seen it like 17 times... F. Murray Abraham is SO awesome in that role.
You are taking a history of music class? Which one? Are you a music major or is this just an elective?

War (might piss you off about the military because it does me to this day):

Casualties of War
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket

Foreign:

House of the Flying Daggers (china)
Brother (Russia)
Malena (italy)
Volver (spain)

Drama:

Let me know what kinds of drama's you like... dealing with what type of topics or just in general?

And tell me why you recommend it. I'm really into movies that deal with war and/or drama. I'm open to foreign films as well.

The Constant Gardener - lovely, dramatic story, about medicin's tests in human beings. Ralph Fiennes is superb.

Good Bye Lenin - dramatic but very intense. The contradictions in Comunism.

Dancer in The Dark - just watch it. If you like dramas, this is the best one.

Mar Adentro - about Euthanasia. Incredible movie.