Please recommend excellent movies

Necromunchkin

Lord of the Whisky
Sep 21, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
I've been a bit out of touch with cinema, I've realized, and I've got me a new Netflix subscription, so, please recommend quality films to look into here.

I'm not concerned over genre. Just things that are well done, thought-provoking, or downright strange/unique.

Sin City
Office Space
The Big Lebowski
Kingpin
12 Angry Men (1957)
Batman Begins
Murder By Decree
Unbreakable
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
The Exorcist III

There's a really nice eclectic mix of awesome movies for you.

Jason

How long is a piece of string? :tickled:

Just start here: TOP 100 AFI MOVIES

and here: TOP 100 BRITISH FILM INSTITUTE

Obviously start with the top 10 of each. Select couple that become mandatory are therefore:

The Godfather
The Third Man

Jumping into the old classics might be a stretch if you're a noob, but you should definitely school yourself with those two before most anything else.

Otherwise, just cut to the chase and go with Empire Strikes Back, the greatest 'modern' movie of our time, as voted by both Empire Magazine staff and readers. (And it's true).

I think when it comes to those lists, it's similar to music in the sense that the 'originators' get the credit for establishing the blueprint.

By the way, I LOVE the fact that the BFI listed Trainspotting in its top 10. I think it's one of the greatest movies made in our lifetime at least.

Yeah, excellent film. Every time I watch it, I end up thinking 'I don't think I can sit through that again', but I always end up pulling it out at a later date. The scene where Renton is going cold turkey is one of the most intensely disturbing things ever (dead heroin overdose baby crawling upside on the ceiling, anyone?).

I agree, right up there with anything from Clockwork Orange for inspired dementia and very uncomfortable to watch...more recently, the suicidal hallucination scene from A Scanner Darkly made me similarly uncomfortable.

My dad's got a pirate copy of that on DVD downstairs, might have to watch it later tonight and report back...

Also, for another excellent movie recommendation: A History Of Violence.