Recommend me a nice acoustic guitar...

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, I have decided that my Yamaha acoustic guitar isn't really cutting it any more, so i've come to the andy sneap heavy metal forum as usual for advise :lol:. I'm after a nice loud, balanced acoustic with some decent upper fret access too if possible.

Budget is sub £1000, I'd like to get something around the 500 mark really second hand once I have decided what to get. That might not be the way to do it though, since they all sound pretty different, so this could end up being a music shop "on the day" jobby. I dont really play a lot of acoustic, and it has just occurred to me I know abolsutely nothing about the market at the moment. When I do, I like to play folky in flames style melodies most of the time.

Takemine/Taylor are the brands that spring to mind? Electrocoustic would be a bonus.

im not crazy about acoustics or anything n=mcuh myself but ive been gasing for a micheal kelly nostalgia sjce 60, its alot cheaper than your budget but its a jumbo and sounds good enough from what ive heard,if i had the money right now id buy this, may not be suited entirely for your needs but im just throwing it out there,

heres a review on it

Last edited by a moderator:
I would try out a couple of Freshmans. I have a FA300DLX which is a parlour size and strung with some silk and steel strings is amazing out for finger style.
My flatmate bought one of their electro-acoustic jumbos on a wim off ebay as this guys shop was closing and he picked up a FA250JCE for £300, he had tried an apollo and was thinking about getting one but this was cheap.

I'm sold of these things TBH. Tried a seagull parlour out and it was shite just like most of the godins I've played too....weird..
I'm new to the world of acoustics too myself but was lucky enough to have a 30th birthday this year in September so I thought I would man up and learn some finger style goodness! I got a pretty lame clip of my little freshman so PM me if ya want it, I warn you my finger style sucks!!

What are you using it for? What kind of sound are you typically after? Martins tend to be a darker loose tone while Taylors have a really tight but bright sound. I personally don't care for either, but I did end up getting a Taylor GS5 because it wasn't as bright, had a lot of great low end but maintained the tightness. Kind of a blend of a Taylor and a Martin, but still very much a Taylor.

Knowing what kind of sound you are going for is a must. Jumbos sound so different from dreadnoughts for example. It's like comparing a strato to a les paul.
I played a lower priced Taylor that had nothing special about it. Ithing it was a 110 ou 210. Although the 414CE (smaller body shape) with old strings I played was amazing. There are some great japanese Takamines.
So my advise would be listening for yourself.