Recommend sf books.

Tom75

New Metal Member
Mar 27, 2004
Sweden
I kinda like sience fiction sometimes. I recently read some Alastair Reynolds books. Revelation space and Chasm city.
Is there any SF fans there who can recommend something good.

Dan Simmons' Hyperion books are my personal favorites. There's four of them: Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion & The Rise of Endymion. Should be read in that order. Third part is not as good as the rest, but the fourth book definitely restores the quality.
William Gibson's Neuromancer trilogy is also very good, it includes The Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa.
Then of course the classic stuff like most Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke.

Voice of God said:
Dan Simmons' Hyperion books are my personal favorites. There's four of them: Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion & The Rise of Endymion. Should be read in that order. Third part is not as good as the rest, but the fourth book definitely restores the quality.
I've just ordered the first book in that series a few days ago. I'm hoping it arrives next week so I can start reading it. I needed something fantastic and epic to help me get over my experience with Asimov's Foundation novels, with which I enjoyed the concept of the story but found just about everything else more than a little dry. Hyperion came highly recommended by everyone, so I'm hoping it'll be great.

And to answer the original question:

You haven't read sci-fi until you have read the almighty Dune series. I'm sure many will agree.

Actually I thought the second three books were, overall, stronger than the first three books. Weird.

The first book is still my favourite ever though.

Herbert's son and some other guy are writing the final book to close out the series, too. So I guess the series will end with that seventh one instead of the sixth. Unfortunately, Brian Herbert wrote the Dune prequels which I've heard completely blow. So I'm praying to Shai-Hulud that they don't ruin everything.

Heh. I just searched the web and found out that I have actually only read the first book, Dune. The translation had been divided into three books for some reason. It was "Dune Messiah" that I found incredibly boring. The others haven't even been translated into finnish... I think I have to search for the english versions some day.

Whoa. I just finished reading Hyperion and The Fall Of Hyperion and they were both incredible.

I'm 400 pages or so into Endymion now. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be as good as those first two. It's pretty good, but it seems a bit lame compared to its predecessors. I hope The Rise Of Endymion picks it up a bit.

Gregsmack said:
Whoa. I just finished reading Hyperion and The Fall Of Hyperion and they were both incredible.

I'm 400 pages or so into Endymion now. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be as good as those first two. It's pretty good, but it seems a bit lame compared to its predecessors. I hope The Rise Of Endymion picks it up a bit.
I thought the 2nd and 4th books were the best in the series. Hyperion was just...weird. And the 3rd one was kinda dull. Also, I'd reccomend the Ender books by Orson Scott Card- Ender's Game, Speaker For the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind. Ender's Shadow and the sequels were quite good too.