Recommendation: Deadboy and the Elephantmen - If This Is Hell, Then I'm Lucky

This may be a little off topic but I've heard that The Fiery Furnaces are going on tour with Deadboy. Or at least, I'm fairly sure it was Deadboy.

I don't think they're going on tour with them completely, but I do think they are playing a date or two with them. I saw the news but didn't keep it in memory, since the deadboy shows weren't nearby, and I have no desire to see just fiery furnaces.

I agree, plus it must suck to be someone at the end of the list and know you won't get a recommendation in for another 2 months.

I was trying to think of a good suggestion to make to improve on this 3/week thing, but I didn't really like any of the alternatives.. 3 every 3.5 days? erghh. What about 3 reccs every 3 days? It's not a consistent weekly cycle this way, and takes a bit more planning.

Plus it's not like these threads would neccessarily die if unstickied anyway , so yeah, I'm all for shortening it if possible.

(I also want to hear more new bands and asap)

Hmmm, the Fiery Furnaces are coming here with Deadboy in February. Methinks I should rectify my past mistake.

Cool. Another great show in the area, along with Mogwai.

Oh, and that Orthrelm band from Ipecac is coming sometime too. Will that be worthwhile?

Dick Sirloin said:
Cool. Another great show in the area, along with Mogwai.

Oh, and that Orthrelm band from Ipecac is coming sometime too. Will that be worthwhile?

haven't heard them. I stay awake from a lot of Ipecac releases these days unless reviews tell me otherwise.. a whole lot of severe hit or miss

DC’s Orthrelm is Mick Barr (Crom-tech, Quix*o*tic, Octis and more) on guitar and Josh Blair (ABCS, WWIII, Supersystem) on drums. With three full-lengths under their belt, they join the Ipecac Recordings roster with OV, a one-track album that spans 45-minutes and multiple musical genres.

Orthrelm’s first recordings avoided repetition of any kind, no choruses, no riff repeated. The early material distilled the over-the-top, raging parts of metal. Music moved at a blistering pace, never giving the listener a moment to relax, no resolutions and no familiarity. There were more notes than the listener could ever possibly absorb.

With OV, Orthrelm embraces repetition.... sort of. While metal still undeniably influences Mick and Josh’s music, this new recording equally evokes flavors of the Middle East and the early minimalism of Tony Conrad.

that review deems it download worthy, I shall report back when the time is right.

edit: nah, I read more reviews and changed my mind. All the Philip Glass and Steve Reich name-droppings by pitchfork, calling it minimalism, and then other reviews which actually describe the music lead me to two realizations.

1) this album will likely give me a headache

2) stfu pitchfork

Just got back from the Fiery Furnaces/Deadboy show. A few points...

1) Dax Riggs is one of the greatest rock vocalists. Ever. Seriously, the guy is as perfect live as he is in the studio. Fucking amazing.
2) I want to do Tessie Brunet.
3) Good news: I talked to Dax for a minute and he said that "If This is Hell..." will be re-released later this year.
4) The Fiery Furnaces were fucking LOUD! Seriously, I was headbanging through half their set. All the songs were played at full volume and twice the speed. They sounded like a fuckin punk band. While most of the sublety of the music was obviously lost, it was fuckin great.
5) I know this is probably falling on deaf ears, but FF are probably the most original band I've heard in a long time. Seriously, they sound like nothing else I have ever heard. Truly progressive stuff.
6) Matthew Friedberger can play the hell out of the guitar. His lead style reminds me of Steve Howe circa 1973.
7) I want to do Eleanor Friedberger.

Fucking amazing, dude. You should have seen her boobies as she pounded on the snare...!!!