Der Ort
Forlorn Sea
Winternacht
The River
Waldschrat
Red Urn
The Wanderer
October

(Apologies for the m4a format of the samples; this stupid computer won't let me convert to mp3 for some reason. When I get back to school tomorrow I'll replace them with mp3 versions.
edit: it's tomorrow, i'm at school, and i'm drunk and lazy. go fuck yourselves.)

First off, I have to post an extra-large picture of the cover, because this cover is friggin sweet. Beautiful; not even a logo to clutter it up. Take one look at it and you know roughly what to expect, and holy crap do Klabautamann deliver it and more. Flurries of furiously picked notes burst out of the speakers like a swarm of frostbitten, forest-dwelling hornets, only to melt into burbling streams of beautiful, rolling acoustic passages. When the riffs slip into a groove, the results are nothing short of head-banging, without conjuring any images of heavy-metal posturing. The vocals are generally a typical black metal affair; sparse and solemn, and very effective. Klabautamann also include a dash of appropriate experimentation--some piano, percussion, clean male vocals in "Forlorn Sea", even female vocals in "October" (and even these are fantastic, not cheesy/gothy and they suit the music very well). A sense of flow and dynamics is really present, as the music swings back and forth between harsh blastbeats and clean, quiet interludes without batting an eyelid or even once seeming out of place. The natural vibe is also very present in the lyrics (at least the ones in English; 3 songs are entirely in German), such as these from "October":
Leaves dance like fire in the winds
The flames they embrace me with heat
Colours arise from the trees
Drowning me in a sea of leaves

This album has just about everything I look for in a great metal disc. It's nothing short of a fucking treat to listen to and has my highest recommendation :headbang:

Dick Sirloin said:
Do they sound like Bathory?
no, it's pretty removed from that...although my description could almost pass for bathory haha

closer to, dare i say, a black metal opeth, but that doesn't really do justice to their sound

I'd heard the first two tracks before and while I can't find anything wrong with them, they just seem to be missing something. They really seem like the sort of thing I'd like but...I don't know.

That last track was pretty cool though. How much of the album is like that one?

Yes, this is some really good stuff!

I was gonna pick this album, myself, but chtulu had the dibs... I'll post something tomorrow, since I just got home and it's half past four here...

Thanatopsis123 said:
I'd heard the first two tracks before and while I can't find anything wrong with them, they just seem to be missing something. They really seem like the sort of thing I'd like but...I don't know.

That last track was pretty cool though. How much of the album is like that one?
honestly, it's a bit different than the other tracks...well, parts of it are representative of the whole but the opening bit with the female vox especially (which i fucking loooove :headbang: ) is a bit different for them

edit: mother of god, this album gets better every time i listen to it...if it manages to stand the test of time it could prove to be one of my all time faves :worship: