Recommendations on NEW metal, not NU.

Dvoters

There is a rain falling
Feb 24, 2002
Canterbury, UK
www.morphusmachine.cjb.net
;)
Well im just trying to expand my horizons with my metal collection, and venture to a vast new world consisting of more prog rock and melodic stylee. Any suggestions?

Also, some good albums to start with bands like COB, Neurosis, Amorphis, Porcupine Tree, Pain Of Salvation, Novembers Doom, Novembre.

Cheers,

\m/

30 Seconds to Mars. I'll probably be the only one to suggest them, I think most metalheads think that they are nu.
Agalloch is pretty good, recently picked up the Mantle.
Hypocrisy of course, my favorite melodic metal.

Older Ulver
Newer Carcass
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (I would stay away from anything else by them)
In Flames

That's all I can think of, not my best list I've done, but I have a cold, not thinking clearly. ;)

If you like COB, you ought to like Kalmah. Also if you wish to try some Power Metal try :
Blind Guardian
Symphony X
Iced Earth
Falconer
Tierra Santa
Sonata Arctica

oh, and also Dream Theater kicks ass.

you've probably heard them, but if not.. how bout some Dark Tranquillity

as for Amorphis.. I like their new stuff. Am Universum is awesome.

another band you may dig is Anathema. They're pretty mellow, at least on the stuff I've heard.

Daylight Dies Get 'No Reply', their debut album. Sound a bit like classic Katatonia, very melodic, might be classed as MetalCore. Though it has lots of Doomy passages. Highly Recommended.

You should try :
- Anorexia Nervosa, Belenos, or Hegemon (French black metal bands) : especially "New Obscurantis Order" by AN, or "By This, I Conquer", by Hegemon;
- Eternal Tears of Sorrow (a great finnish band);
- Saturnus (very good doom);
- Shape of Despair (funeral doom...);
- Borknagar (amazing black metal including outstanding clean vocals);
- At the Gates "Slaughter of the Soul" (but if you're a little bit into metal, I guess you already know this release !);
- Dissection "Storm of the Light's Bane (same remark);

If you want something softer, check Neurosis "The Sun That Never Sets" or Isis "Oceanic" : they're both awesome releases.

And if you want something no one knows, try Scavengours, a French thrash metal band : here's their
website

Cheers for the feed back guys!! Im going into town tomorrow to order some of these suggestions, most probably ISIS and Neurosis to begin with, then will try some of the more underground bands that probably arent even written in the order book hehe ;)

Im curious about Finntroll and Amorphis, Burzum, CoB and Amorphis, as ive heard OF them all before, not yet heard THEM.

Cheers once more

\m/

New metal is something that you haven't heard before...

Check out bands like Burzum, Anathema, Katatania, and NOVEMBRE.

All those bands will improve your collection and give you much pleasure.

Originally posted by requiem
Check out bands like Burzum, Anathema, Katatania, and NOVEMBRE.

You mean KatatOnia ;)
Yeah well I have a few songs from Burzum I am in the process of downloading as we speak, and I have K's Last Fair Deal, that is amazing IMO. Ive been looking around for the earlier releases alot lately, no luck though.

\m/