Recommendations on NEW metal, not NU.

melodic death metal fans will like the band Beyond the Embrace. they sound like older in flames (when you still loved them) with elements of older metallica (when you still loved them) in the vocals (a mix of melodic death style screams and old hetfield singing). this band is from MA, USA, which makes me so jealous of them, what with them being so good and this close to home. they are on metal blade. buy their album, 'against the elements'. also get 'no reply' by Daylight Dies. this way, you will be able to say how you were into them before they were trendy in a few years, or months...

www.beyondtheembrace.com
www.daylight-dies.com

You should definetley check out Disarmonia Mundi...they remind me of Opeth in that they change vocal and musical styles several times over the course of one song and it doesn't sound forced. So far I only have mp3's so I don't know where to buy their album(Nebularium)... but I will. Also check out Shadows Fall, they have a new album out now called The Art of Balance.

Here are some technical metal bands ( progressive or jazz based ) :

- Atheist ( death-jazz, it's really good )

- Watchtower ( one of the oldest progressive metal bands. Their first cd, Energetic Disassembly, is 17 year-old and is quite good. But the vocals are kinda weird, but listen to the music ! )

- Theory In practice ( death-prog, they're ok, they haven't impressed me though, I prefer Atheist ).

- Spastic Ink ( really technical, no vocals, not many of you will like it )

- Cynic ( needless to say anything )

- Spiral Architect ( progressive metal again, the vocals mught be a little harmful for a couple of you, a nice band. )

Beyond the Embrace cancelled their Cleveland show with Blind Guardian which sucked since I do like their album. They are almost exactly like Shadowsfall, and they are even from the same town.
Some good albums to get are:
older Arch Enemy
older Sentenced
Dark Tranquillity(all)
Death
The Haunted/ Witchery
Mithotyn
Shadow (Japan)