recommendations?

elric

crunchy frog
Oct 16, 2001
u.s.a.
So, after a couple years of not listening to a whole ton of metal, I've been paying attention again - honestly, the anticipation of the Katatonia show this last weekend got my attention, and I've listened to more metal in the last few months than I had in years, and have been enjoying it. But I need recommendations... Recent stuff I've enjoyed is Katatonia, of course, Daylight Dies, Amorphis... generally just looking for stuff , either newer that I may have missed, or just older awesome stuff I never found in the first place. So please, ideas?

Novembers Doom!!!!!!!! :lol:

You will see me pimp these guys a lot as I love them.
Their last release was THE PALE HAUNT DEPARTURE (The End Records)

Great death / doom. Perfect mix of clean vocals and growls.

I think a fan of both Katatonia and Daylight Dies would dig them lots.

coal chamber!!<<nah i was joking...hum well..tool,dissection ,cradle of filth(i think this particular album(new) it's good enough to give it a try)the loveless..and so on

Additions to bands that have already been mentioned: Anathema, The Wounded, October Tide, Blazing Eternity, Shape of Despair, Paradise Lost, Lacuna Coil, Moonspell, Novembre. I'm also a big fan of melodeath, so bands like In Flames, Soilwork, Killswitch Engage and Dark Tranquillity.

Additions to bands that have already been mentioned: Anathema, The Wounded, October Tide, Blazing Eternity, Shape of Despair, Paradise Lost, Lacuna Coil, Moonspell, Novembre. I'm also a big fan of melodeath, so bands like In Flames, Soilwork, Killswitch Engage and Dark Tranquillity.

new as daylight dies (kse)sounds too similar as alive or just breathing:mad:

Angel Blake
Arch Enemy
Brainstorm
Nevermore (highly recommended)
Anything with Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend, DT Band)
Isis
Opeth (Ghost Reveries is fantastic, read the lyrics as you listen)
Soilwork
Trivium
Witchery

After hearing you mention Agalloch so often i decided to check them out..
so i downloaded (yes, pre-listened through piracy) their latest album.. cant remember the name.. and seriously.

the guy cant sing. music was ok.. not great, but listenable.. but he sung so bad i deleted it after one listen.

Razorhog said:
huh?! nothing personal, and to each his own taste, but you suggest trivium to someone looking for katatoniaish bands? :p

Haha, thanks for all the suggestions - picked up some Agalloch and November's Doom, also Evergrey. Enjoying them all so far, I appreciate all the suggestions!

Hobo, you're one of the few names I recognize from when I used to post on here years ago... :D

So we're just naming off anything really? In that case:

Pain of Salvation

I have yet to tire of them, and I find something new everytime I listen. And for something that can only be described as 'badass', give Mercenary a shot, incredibly powerful group right there.