Recommendations?

lastfog

New Metal Member
Dec 14, 2010
Ok, so here's the deal. I'm not a metal head, in fact I barely listen to metal at all. But I recently discovered Katatonia, and I'm really digging it. More specifically their two most recent albums. I absolutely love The Great Cold Distance. I tried listening to some of their older albums, but I couldn't really get into them much. I like the bleak, mellow sound of their most recent work and it sounds like the singer's vocals improved a lot starting with TGCD.

So anyway, I'm looking for some other bands that would fit my taste and I figured who better to ask than the utilmatemetal forum? Just a few more pointers on what I'm looking for to narrow it down:

- Predominantly clean vocals.
- Shorter song lengths. (anything longer than 10 minutes and I tend to get bored).
- Doomy and gloomy themes and lyrics, but nothing satanic.

Les Discrets, one album under their belt and p much one of my fav albums on 2010

Porcupine Tree - they have some p long song lengths and their latest two albums are dark

Blackfield - mostly songs about breaks up and stuff

Redemption - prog metal most songs are like 5-7 mins tho

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions so far. Out of what's been posted, I really like that Anathema song, I'll definitely check them out. That Porcupine Tree song I like too, but I've listened to them briefly before and wasn't too keen on them. If I like that particular song, which album should I go for? That French band is alright too, but the drumming isn't very good. I'm a really picky listener and there's not much consistency to what I'll like. But keep the suggestions coming.

With Anathema, I would say Judgement is a good start but Alternative 4 is a little better, it's pretty gloomy and the songwriting is ace. during these albums. although heavy, they weren't exactly metal - it would be right up your alley.

Ok, so here's the deal. I'm not a metal head, in fact I barely listen to metal at all. But I recently discovered Katatonia, and I'm really digging it. More specifically their two most recent albums. I absolutely love The Great Cold Distance. I tried listening to some of their older albums, but I couldn't really get into them much. I like the bleak, mellow sound of their most recent work and it sounds like the singer's vocals improved a lot starting with TGCD.

So anyway, I'm looking for some other bands that would fit my taste and I figured who better to ask than the utilmatemetal forum? Just a few more pointers on what I'm looking for to narrow it down:

- Predominantly clean vocals.
- Shorter song lengths. (anything longer than 10 minutes and I tend to get bored).
- Doomy and gloomy themes and lyrics, but nothing satanic.

Make sure you check out Viva Emptiness, imo it's better than TGCD

If you can somehow learn to like death metal vocals, it'll open a lot of doors to dark and gloomy bands for sure

some great suggestions here :)

I agree. Anathema, PT, The Foreshadowing, Les Discrets...some of my favorite bands right there.

You could try some Opeth, perhaps starting with Damnation if you don't like death vocals. That's how I got into them and now I like basically their entire discography. I would also recommend maybe some Riverside. Also another really great band I like is Rome, a Luxembourgish neofolk band.

I´ll just jump right in and add these:

Thine

Marble Arch

Green Carnation (a bit more "rockish".. check out "The accoustic verses" for one of the greatest accoustic albums ever made..)

Pure reason revolution (Proggy but still normal songlengths)

If you like the electronic part of Katatonia you will probably like this. Dark, yet fresh and lively.

Band/artist: Torgny

Album: Chameleon Days.