Record Pro Tools, mix Logic?

dubbingmixer

Jul 10, 2008
Anyone here use a combination of both DAWS? I'd love to be able to just edit in Logic, but I'm just so accustomed to Pro Tools editing (the smart tool and key commands), I just can't get it out of my system.

Logic Kicks ass for mixing and composition though:headbang:

Just recently I've started using logic for mixing. I do all the tracking/editing in PT, then move the files over.

Its amazing the difference in the amount of THE SAME plugins I can run in logic over protools. Protools really needs to sort out the effecientcy of their RTAS engine. Oh and the freeze function.

i've actually been tempted with this occasioanlly; then remind myself how much logic drives me insane and dont do it.
I could though, The automation is quite nice; behaves in a less fiddly way than PT

I record the drums in Pro Tools, and do the rest (other instruments & editing/mixing) on Logic Pro.

I signed in to give this post a +1.

Most studios use ProTools - So I usually track drums in it. As soon as I'm done with the drums, I move straight into Logic with the files.
Editing and mixing then done in Logic.

I mix pretty much everything in protools, I use Cubase sx to track any midi instruments cause Protools midi editing is absolutely terrible.

I'm intrigued as to how good logic is for mixing, I've never even touched it as all the machines I use for mixing/editing/tracking are windows based. Are there any major pros that say cubase or protools don't have?

how do you guys switch daw's back n forth so easily?

how are you mapping your tempo maps in each session per daw?

Yeah basically I track everything, edit, and consolidate and label properly in PT. The I make a blank midi track, and call it "song title tempo map" that goes from bar 1 to the end of the song.

Open up logic and then go to "Open" (WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU IMPORT TEMPOS USING THE IMPORT MIDI FUNCTION?!!?!?!?), and pull all the audio tracks in from the audio files folder of the PT session.

Then I import a mix template I got going and get to work. My logic skills are very basic right now, so the though of doing any editing makes me wet myself so I make sure everything is finalized before it ever gets to logic.

how do you guys switch daw's back n forth so easily?

how are you mapping your tempo maps in each session per daw?

I just import the raw AIFF / WAV files over - and work from there.
Usually, the bands I work with only use a single tempo in the click. So a tempo map isn't a huge problem. If it is - then I'll record the click track, and I can make markers etc manually according to the click in Logic.

It's probably not the easiest for most people, but certainly is for me.