recorders block

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
im starting to feel like i am not getting better at recording/mixing. I feel between now and 3 months ago my recordings all sound the same. Anyone ever feel like this and how did they fix it? :confused:

after about
i dunno
a year of recording i hit this wall for a while so i just took a break for a few months and the next thing i did jumped in quality massively.

if youre getting down about it, take a break and the next thing you do will rockkkk

Not really..

Every time I think I'm getting to 'perfect' my mixes/recordings I realise a whole ton more things that could be improved.

Maybe its just your monitoring setup stopping you from hearing more?

Not really..

Every time I think I'm getting to 'perfect' my mixes/recordings I realise a whole ton more things that could be improved.

Maybe its just your monitoring setup stopping you from hearing more?

Could be, i need to read more about monitor placement and acoustics which i will prob do today at work (the cameras arent working so i can sit on the comp :D )

well if you realize theres a whole ton more things need to improve wheres the block?

Well i understand that there is ALOT more to learn until im up to a pro level (or guru level a.k.a. you) lol. I got a decent setup (its in my signature) and i know not to blame my gear. Like i know how to compress and EQ and all that but i also dont know if im doing it completely right. I wanna learn as much as possible which is why i was gonna go to IAR or full sail, but i soon realized there is not much they teach you. Do you guys learn what you know from trial and error or floating around this forum etc.? Theres nothing i want more that to make a living being an audio engineer, i just need practice! And i first gotta learn what to practice! Thanks to you guys responding!

Ultimately it's difficult to improve on your prior works unless you have music, performers and gear available that eclipse the last project. The parameters for the end product are always set by the source. I constantly have to remind myself that not every current project I do will be my very best, just out of virtue of the performance and tracking.

You can always scour for knowledge in the mean time and just try to refine your mixing. Improvements are things that come over time - gradually.

My biggest learning tool lately has been Curve EQ. Armed with that and some source tracks you can 'copy', it can give you a world of insight. I'm always beating myself up, analyzing my references to death, listening to them over and over, letting it all sink in. It's a daily ritual done from a few to several hours per day as I post here, look for information, new gear etc. After a while you get a greater insight about how mixes fit together.

Ultimately it's difficult to improve on your prior works unless you have music, performers and gear available that eclipse the last project. The parameters for the end product are always set by the source. I constantly have to remind myself that not every current project I do will be my very best, just out of virtue of the performance and tracking.

You can always scour for knowledge in the mean time and just try to refine your mixing. Improvements are things that come over time - gradually.

My biggest learning tool lately has been Curve EQ. Armed with that and some source tracks you can 'copy', it can give you a world of insight. I'm always beating myself up, analyzing my references to death, listening to them over and over, letting it all sink in. It's a daily ritual done from a few to several hours per day as I post here, look for information, new gear etc. After a while you get a greater insight about how mixes fit together.

How have you been using curve eq? I use it sometimes just to give amp sim tones a more "real" sound with that pack of amp EQ's that was posted not to long ago, but thats it

Same thing happens with everything. You lift weights , eventually you hit a plateau and you need to change your set up. With guitar sometimes you think you suck for a while , and all you need is a new set of strings , some fretboard oil , or some better picks. Sometimes you just need to take a break and get some inspiration. Whenever I get bored or frustrated mixing , I just stop for a few days , and then I will hear a cool new mix and I will be inspired again.

hey J.DavisNJ, if you dont mind me asking, where in NJ are you? lol it seems like alot of people on this forum are from NJ. Im in central nj, flemington to be exact