Do you ever feel tired of record morons?

I know...in fact I don't understand how very inteligent persons I know, had a meeting in the reharseal space to try all the riffs they should have recorded with me the day after. What the fuck do you learn/hear in a reharseal space?? Have a meet at home, record 2 tracks stereo as you can see if you play in time or not...and you immediately notice if you're prepared or not.
It's so simple that I can't understand why people is still unprofessional. Nowadays with 50€ you can buy a soundcard that let you record what you want at home...we're in the 2011!!!
And I'm speaking about people very into guitars and gear....

When I was running my studio, (I stopped about 3 years ago) I got burnt out dealing with people who really didn't get it. They want to pay the least and end up with a major radio quality hit. An engineer has to wear so many hats, Teacher, Psychologist, Financial Adviser, Gear Guru, Mentor, and on top of that you have to be able to get this shit done quickly.

I did it for about 8 years and when the economy dropped out and the bands wanted to pay even less I couldn't deal anymore, between my own band breaking up and these morons it became frustrating and I needed to stop. I definitely want to get back into it again but Id much rather mix then track. haha. If could find a good tracking engineer to work with id be happy.

I would say charge more money too it will keep the trash out of your studio and people who want things done right will pay the necessary costs.

Good luck!

I've already decided to stop after the band I'll record the next week. Or better, I'll take a pause, working elsewhere...and in the future I'll work only if I want and with the band I want.
I think also that this job will have a tremendous revolution in the next years and I think we won't record bands in the 2030 anymore :D

...but very often there is 1 band member well prepared that knows his shit, and 4 idiots.

QFT. Getting the band to rehearse technical details and write out the song structures is always a must for me too. Make sure they know that the difference between a quality recording and a shitty one is 99% based on the tracking.